Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 June 2005
anthony horowitz grips you from the moment you pick the book up like a steel vice. When I started reading this book (my first Anthony Horowitz book) I literally couldnt put it down. I love his jokes. Worst detective in the world, Tim Diamond, and his cunning brother Nick take you through a world of adventure. Read it now!!
Written by Sam
on 20 January 2016
Wow...The Falcon's Malteser was amazing, but this story goes beyond amazing. The storyline is proper next level stuff, the action is much more intense than in the first novel, and the characterisation hasn't wavered one bit. Nick and Herb. are once again going to have their work cut out, but this time, their adventure is going to be bigger and better than ever. The plot twists in this novel are - if that's even possible - more intriguing than those of Malteser, and actually, I'd say the humor is sharper. Old favourites make a second appearance, such as Chief Inspector Snape and his brutish assistant, Boyle; these two actually make a bigger contribution to this story than they did to the last. Oh, and the bad guys: they are something else. Think of Hans Gruber off Die Hard and cross him with Brick Top off Snatch, and you've got an idea of just how slick and menacing these guys are. Malteser, it seems, was just setting the scene for Nick and Herb.'s adventures with crime. It was - while very good - actually quite slow and laid back in places. This novel, in terms of tone, is completely different. It's literally like an action film. It's as though every dull moment in Malteser has been compensated for with the boldness and thrills of this kick-butt sequel. That's not to say that this relentlessly adventure-filled story doesn't have a plot as extensive as that of a seriously pumped-up Sherlock Holmes yarn. Liked Malteser? This will knock your socks off.
Reviewed by Arron S. Munro.
on 11 February 2015
While this novel was very funny and made a nice light read, it unfortunately paled in comparison with the Falcon's Malteser. This novel was much more of a straight thriller and lost a lot of the film noir references that made the first book so unique and interesting. Gone are the femme fatales and stoic hitmen - even Herbert gets a reduced role this time around. The main focus on the story is Nick and his mission to befriend a teenage gangster.

The twists of this story were also a little disappointing. While some were immediately obvious (such as the identity of the person who set up Nick), others require extreme leaps of logic to deduce. The identity of the Fence is not revealed until the final chapter and Nick virtually guesses this based on a single word. While there are clues earlier in the tale, it annoyed me that this was the overall twist of the story when The Falcon's Malteser took so long building to its final impressive conclusion.

I also felt that Nick went a little too far in this story. He's always been brave and very mature for a thirteen year old, this time he seems to have become a little psychotic. He takes his trial as joke and even flat out kills some people later in the story. For me, this made him difficult to like and relate to.

I also feel I should note that this story hasn't aged very well and so young readers may need some terms (Iron Curtain, Noel Coward, Mother's Pride) explaining to them. As this novel is set in London there are also some English concepts (council housing, O-levels) which may not localise very well for young readers who are not English.
on 14 March 2013
I cannot praise Anthony Horowitz's writing enough: he is a master at creating suspense, twisting plotlines and always keeping the reader entertained. Public Enemy Number Two is a fantastic book, though I would recommend reading the first in the series, The Falcon's Malteaser, just to experience Horowitz's full genius.
on 27 December 2013
As soon as I got this book I started reading it at once. Sadly the book was over in one night. But over all it was a gripping novel with action packed adventure with a lot of suspense and that's just the start! For the diamond brothers fans I strongly advise this book no matter how short.
on 28 October 2013
This is my favourite Anthony Horowitz book I thoroughly enjoyed it I would recommend this book to any book reader, whatever their age, that is how much I enjoyed this book in fact I would recommend any Anthony Horowitz books especially diamond brothers adventures to any one.
on 12 June 2012
I a eleven years old and i absolutely love all the DB books.i would recommend them to anyone! they are brilliantly written and the jokes are just hilarious. i love the characters aswell. this is yet another fantastic book by anthony horrowitz (oneof my fave authors!)
on 14 May 2009
This book is full of humour and adventure. My son loves these Diamond brothers books and it has helped a great deal in developing his confidence with independent reading. Highly recommended
on 10 December 2013
I loved this book do much. It is so addictive, I'm gonna buy all of them. At the end its a bit gory but very funny.
There is many corny jokes but they are funny ones as they fit with the text.
Th title is good as he gets locked up with public enemy #1.
on 21 June 2013
I loved this book when ever I had to put it away I always wanted to know what happened next I even take a risk and read in bed when I was ment to be asleep!!I would recommend this book to people who enjoy mystery books I admit It was a little bit scary !!