Incredible Edibles: A Science-Flavoured Cookbook
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Do you want to know how to make the world's fartiest meal?
Would you like to know how to make your wee green and your poo red?
Would you like to read about some of the yuckiest (or tastiest) meals in teh world?
Then this is the book for you!

It had me giggling as I read through it! Full of amazing recipes for ordinary ... and not so ordinary meals, it is going to appeal to literally hundreds of children and will e a perfect Christmas present! Some of the recipes are really mad - such as car engine kebabs; others just sound mad, such as bum sandwiches, snot and foot soup, and blood soup with eyeballs; and some of them - like plastic bag ice cream, i really want to make!

At the end of the book, there is a fascinating section of crazy experiments, all of which are food based; and all through it are microfacts and sections referred to as 'gastrotrumps' -facts given like top trumps on 'foods' from around the world - including bee vomit, porcupine stew and sheep's blood; most of which Stefan gates has eaten in his time (and one of which most of us have!)

Fantastic book - highly recommended - should give hours of fun!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Based on the CBBC series of the same name presented by Stefan Gates, the book is all about strange and weird food facts from around the world. Typically it has plenty of `yuck factor' facts that will appeal to children and adults alike.

The book is well presented and nicely illustrated in full colour.

Fermented herring, duck heads, snake skins on skewers and rats, all edible and given a mark out of ten for looks, taste, texture, smell and yuckiness.

In the past, during moments of mis-spent youth I have tried crickets, worms, ants, durian fruit, witchery grubs and something on a stick in Hong Kong that was not chicken so I don't consider myself a fussy eater. I have a family reputation for trying the unusual, sometimes more than once, but some of the stuff in this book I would decline gracefully.

The book also gives ideas on how to make normal food unusual, eyeballs perhaps, fluorescent jelly and stinging nettle soup, and how to cook in unusual ways.

My 7 year old son and I experimented with the `how to cook fish on the engine of your car' section. Word of warning, secure the fish and double wrap in foil. Our experiment was not entirely successful.

This is a fun book, it will inspire the imagination and is a worth addition to any book collection. It makes any book by Ray Mears fairly pedestrian.

Finally one more minor warning, you should endeavour to use your own car when cooking fish on the engine. My wife had a minor sense of humour failure over it, though that was probably because we were not able to retrieve all if it.

A great book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My seven year old son, who loves science and enjoys cooking, absolutely LOVED this book! In fact it is an ideal book for a boy who enjoys cooking, as so many cookbooks on the market are aimed with girls in mind, but this will certainly fill that gap. It has some absolutely revolting recipes guaranteed to appeal to young boys - such as Maggoty-Brained Pumpkin Heads, Blood Soup with Eyeballs (this has the added bonus of turning poo red, which made my son and his friend laugh - a LOT) and some great easy recipes, such as fruit with chocolate - in which smarties/chocolate buttons are merely inserted into raspberries. In amongst all this are great scientic facts - how to find the iron in your cereal, why onions make you cry, and how to catch farts in a jar (I did already say this book is aimed at boys, didn't I?). What else can I say - my daughter thought it was yukky, but my son loved it. Oddly enough the recipe he liked best (out of those we tried so far) most was the really hot chocolate with chilli, which I doubted he would like. This is a great book for boys of about 7+, so forget the pink cupcakes and consider snot cakes instead. A real winner, which will get all boys reading and experimenting in the kitchen.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love cooking... and I love to get the kids involved.

My kids are 8&9 years old so just the right age group for this book.

My feeling is (and I could be accused of being an old man) that if a child is old enough to read a book and old enough to help with cooking, they should be making proper food.

This book teaches children that food is full of horrors and revolting ideas whereas in reality, food is one of life's greatest pleasures. My kids help me in the kitchen often and they pride themselves in making food look nice - presentable and looking good to eat.

Making food to look like poos, wees, vomit and the like not only encourages an ambivalence or worse, a revulsion of food but also harbours poor table manners and the thought that eating can be treated as a sport. Not a lesson that I want to give over to my kids.

So, although this book is nicely presented and fun to read, I don't think the concept works and actually makes me a bit cross.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 December 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an interesting book for children, however, I looked at it and think "I'm a grown up get me out of here!"

Recipes include: Giant Baked Beans, Lamb's Testicles, Eggheads, Fly Eggs, DIY Butter, Camel Hump, Bee Vomit, Porcupine Stew, Roasted Grasshopper, Silk Worm Pupae, Deep fried Scorpion, Snot and Foot Soup (aka pea and pig trotter), Jellyfish, Duck's Tongues, and so on.

Yes there are some "nicer" recipes, like "a meal in a loaf", but the "I'm a celebrity" ones are enough to give me pause.

Though I understand that this is trying to get children involved in cooking I can honestly say if I had been given this as a child it would have put me off cooking.

I also worry about the unexpected outburst in front of older relatives of "Lamb's Testicles" or "Bee Vomit", the shock and the necessary apologies followed by comments about "the way some people raise their children" and the "lack of manners" of children these days, which I can well do without.

But it is not my opinion which rules here, it is that of the children it is aimed at. I showed the book to one boy aged 10 who thought the gooey bits were "cool" but when asked if there was anything he fancied making out of the book he said "no" and spent the rest of the day running around shouting "testicles" at the top of his voice.

The 11 year old girl I showed it to had the opposite reaction to the boy and repeatedly exclaimed "gross". When asked if she would like to try any of the recipes she said "why?" When asked if she would like to cook anything she said "cottage pie".

A book like this is definitely in the "horses for courses" realm. You know your child, and if something like this might interest them then go for it, otherwise I wouldn't bother. This book was lost on the children which I tried it on.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Author Stefan Gates is a well- known presenter on programmes involving food, having presented 'Food Factory' on the BBC for adults as well as 'Gastronuts' and 'Incredible Edibles' for children on CBBC.

'Incredible Edibles' is a perfect title - both book and programme feature things that you may not consider edible, (bugs, lambs' testicles) along with surprising food facts (you can make a plastic bag out of potatoes).

This is a great 'book of the programme' - my 11 year old grand-daughter thinks it is even better than the TV version. I found it fascinating.

The book is broadly divided into two sections.

Firstly, there are dozens of recipes involving some aspect of science or extra-artistic creativity. There's vinegar reacting with bicarb in honeycomb toffee, stinging nettle soup and spaghetti - filled ('maggoty brained') pumpkin heads. The recipes are clear, well-laid out and easy to follow.

The second section contains more bizarre facts ('Weird Food Stories') and features experiments involving food. As well as the well-known mints and cola experiment, there are instructions on making the aforementioned plastic bag from potatoes and powering a clock with them too, amongst other things.

The illustrations are great, colourful and informative. Stefan also uses his extensive knowledge to provide 'Gastrotrumps'; Top Trumps styled information sections on foods such as field rat (8/10 on taste, 1/10 on looks) and Scandinavian fermented herring (1/10 on just about everything). Most children will particularly appreciate the information sections on 'rude foods' (baked beans, sprouts, asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes...)

There is a strong and sensible emphasis on using adult help where needed - each recipe involving extra assistance from grown ups, such as 'Car Engine Kebabs', is headed with a red warning triangle.

With cookery lessons in school now retitled 'Food Technology', this book perfectly outlines for children the mix of art and science that takes place within the kitchen.

My grand-daughter's suggested age range is 7-12, though I'd extend this to include curious and adventurous adults too. I particularly want to try cooking lightly smoked salmon in a chocolate tin (page 36).
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Incredible Edibles was a terrific TV programme. It was screened on the kid's channel, CBBC, but whenever I saw it I was left wondering why there was nothing like it for the adults. It was an educational show but not in a po-faced way; Stefan Gates's enthusiastic presentation made sure that it was always an entertaining watch. This book, arising from the series, is every bit as good.

Just by flicking through it it is immediately obvious that this is an excellently designed book, full of colour and eye-catching photographs. Once I started to read through it though I was even more impressed as it I found it to be crammed full of extremely interesting, well written items. There are recipes, some sensible but mostly quirky; this is the book to consult if you fancy making a bum sandwich or a bowl of blood soup with eyeballs. There are articles about some of the world's strangest foods, like frog tea or camel hump and there are ideas for food related experiments that readers can attempt at home. Even more importantly there are plenty of articles about one of most kid's favourite subjects - farts.

I really enjoyed this book, reading it from cover to cover despite it not being intended to be read by those well turned 50; I would expect kids to absolutely love it.
on 28 October 2012
My kids love the author's tv bbc shows. They, aged 7&9, enjoy reading through this book too. It is as silly and as fun as the show ... According to the kids.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If youve ever seen Stefen gates various tv shows for kids youll love this book. His unique brand of teaching and his style of giving information shows children foods in a fun interesting way. In this case it does describe somethings that are best left to Im a celeb get me out of here but the content is both informative, creative and entertaining well worth a look for a christmas present!
on 29 October 2013
I bought this book for a Christmas gift for my young Grand daughter to put under the tree,I was impressed by watching the author on a UK cookery program so I knew it would impress my fun loving experimental little darling in the kitchen.
The price was good,the packing secure and I thought it good value for money compared with shops.
Hope this helps