Do you want to know how to make the world's fartiest meal?
Would you like to know how to make your wee green and your poo red?
Would you like to read about some of the yuckiest (or tastiest) meals in teh world?
Then this is the book for you!

Published 21 months ago by E. Heckingbottom

3.0 out of 5 stars wasn't for the children we know
This is an interesting book for children, however, I looked at it and think "I'm a grown up get me out of here!"

Recipes include: Giant Baked Beans, Lamb's Testicles, Eggheads, Fly Eggs, DIY Butter, Camel Hump, Bee Vomit, Porcupine Stew, Roasted Grasshopper, Silk Worm Pupae, Deep fried Scorpion, Snot and Foot Soup (aka pea and pig trotter), Jellyfish, Duck's...
Published 19 months ago by Su

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! This should appeal to all those who enjoy cookery and love the Horrible Science books!, 24 Sep 2012
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Do you want to know how to make the world's fartiest meal?
Would you like to know how to make your wee green and your poo red?
Then this is the book for you!

It had me giggling as I read through it! Full of amazing recipes for ordinary ... and not so ordinary meals, it is going to appeal to literally hundreds of children and will e a perfect Christmas present! Some of the recipes are really mad - such as car engine kebabs; others just sound mad, such as bum sandwiches, snot and foot soup, and blood soup with eyeballs; and some of them - like plastic bag ice cream, i really want to make!

At the end of the book, there is a fascinating section of crazy experiments, all of which are food based; and all through it are microfacts and sections referred to as 'gastrotrumps' -facts given like top trumps on 'foods' from around the world - including bee vomit, porcupine stew and sheep's blood; most of which Stefan gates has eaten in his time (and one of which most of us have!)

Fantastic book - highly recommended - should give hours of fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Edibles, 21 Nov 2012
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My seven year old son, who loves science and enjoys cooking, absolutely LOVED this book! In fact it is an ideal book for a boy who enjoys cooking, as so many cookbooks on the market are aimed with girls in mind, but this will certainly fill that gap. It has some absolutely revolting recipes guaranteed to appeal to young boys - such as Maggoty-Brained Pumpkin Heads, Blood Soup with Eyeballs (this has the added bonus of turning poo red, which made my son and his friend laugh - a LOT) and some great easy recipes, such as fruit with chocolate - in which smarties/chocolate buttons are merely inserted into raspberries. In amongst all this are great scientic facts - how to find the iron in your cereal, why onions make you cry, and how to catch farts in a jar (I did already say this book is aimed at boys, didn't I?). What else can I say - my daughter thought it was yukky, but my son loved it. Oddly enough the recipe he liked best (out of those we tried so far) most was the really hot chocolate with chilli, which I doubted he would like. This is a great book for boys of about 7+, so forget the pink cupcakes and consider snot cakes instead. A real winner, which will get all boys reading and experimenting in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: USE YOUR OWN CAR WHEN COOKING FISH ON THE ENGINE., 13 Nov 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Based on the CBBC series of the same name presented by Stefan Gates, the book is all about strange and weird food facts from around the world. Typically it has plenty of `yuck factor' facts that will appeal to children and adults alike.

The book is well presented and nicely illustrated in full colour.

Fermented herring, duck heads, snake skins on skewers and rats, all edible and given a mark out of ten for looks, taste, texture, smell and yuckiness.

In the past, during moments of mis-spent youth I have tried crickets, worms, ants, durian fruit, witchery grubs and something on a stick in Hong Kong that was not chicken so I don't consider myself a fussy eater. I have a family reputation for trying the unusual, sometimes more than once, but some of the stuff in this book I would decline gracefully.

The book also gives ideas on how to make normal food unusual, eyeballs perhaps, fluorescent jelly and stinging nettle soup, and how to cook in unusual ways.

My 7 year old son and I experimented with the `how to cook fish on the engine of your car' section. Word of warning, secure the fish and double wrap in foil. Our experiment was not entirely successful.

This is a fun book, it will inspire the imagination and is a worth addition to any book collection. It makes any book by Ray Mears fairly pedestrian.

Finally one more minor warning, you should endeavour to use your own car when cooking fish on the engine. My wife had a minor sense of humour failure over it, though that was probably because we were not able to retrieve all if it.

A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids love this, 28 Oct 2012
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Incredible Edibles (Paperback)
My kids love the author's tv bbc shows. They, aged 7&9, enjoy reading through this book too. It is as silly and as fun as the show ... According to the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for grown-ups, 17 Oct 2012
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Incredible Edibles was a terrific TV programme. It was screened on the kid's channel, CBBC, but whenever I saw it I was left wondering why there was nothing like it for the adults. It was an educational show but not in a po-faced way; Stefan Gates's enthusiastic presentation made sure that it was always an entertaining watch. This book, arising from the series, is every bit as good.

Just by flicking through it it is immediately obvious that this is an excellently designed book, full of colour and eye-catching photographs. Once I started to read through it though I was even more impressed as it I found it to be crammed full of extremely interesting, well written items. There are recipes, some sensible but mostly quirky; this is the book to consult if you fancy making a bum sandwich or a bowl of blood soup with eyeballs. There are articles about some of the world's strangest foods, like frog tea or camel hump and there are ideas for food related experiments that readers can attempt at home. Even more importantly there are plenty of articles about one of most kid's favourite subjects - farts.

I really enjoyed this book, reading it from cover to cover despite it not being intended to be read by those well turned 50; I would expect kids to absolutely love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way of engaging children with food and science., 30 Sep 2012
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Author Stefan Gates is a well- known presenter on programmes involving food, having presented 'Food Factory' on the BBC for adults as well as 'Gastronuts' and 'Incredible Edibles' for children on CBBC.

'Incredible Edibles' is a perfect title - both book and programme feature things that you may not consider edible, (bugs, lambs' testicles) along with surprising food facts (you can make a plastic bag out of potatoes).

This is a great 'book of the programme' - my 11 year old grand-daughter thinks it is even better than the TV version. I found it fascinating.

The book is broadly divided into two sections.

Firstly, there are dozens of recipes involving some aspect of science or extra-artistic creativity. There's vinegar reacting with bicarb in honeycomb toffee, stinging nettle soup and spaghetti - filled ('maggoty brained') pumpkin heads. The recipes are clear, well-laid out and easy to follow.

The second section contains more bizarre facts ('Weird Food Stories') and features experiments involving food. As well as the well-known mints and cola experiment, there are instructions on making the aforementioned plastic bag from potatoes and powering a clock with them too, amongst other things.

The illustrations are great, colourful and informative. Stefan also uses his extensive knowledge to provide 'Gastrotrumps'; Top Trumps styled information sections on foods such as field rat (8/10 on taste, 1/10 on looks) and Scandinavian fermented herring (1/10 on just about everything). Most children will particularly appreciate the information sections on 'rude foods' (baked beans, sprouts, asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes...)

There is a strong and sensible emphasis on using adult help where needed - each recipe involving extra assistance from grown ups, such as 'Car Engine Kebabs', is headed with a red warning triangle.

With cookery lessons in school now retitled 'Food Technology', this book perfectly outlines for children the mix of art and science that takes place within the kitchen.

My grand-daughter's suggested age range is 7-12, though I'd extend this to include curious and adventurous adults too. I particularly want to try cooking lightly smoked salmon in a chocolate tin (page 36).

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool book, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Incredible Edibles (Paperback)
Brilliant book if you liked the series. Lots of gross things to read about and fun stuff to try - my son especially liked the spaghetti pumpkin brains.

A book we keep returning to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 year old son loves this cookbook!!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Incredible Edibles (Paperback)
I bought this for my youngest son for christmas and he loves it.
He hasn't stopped talking about the recipes in this cookbook. He has taken it to school and his friends love it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Incredible Edibles (Paperback)
The book was very good quality and is fun for all the family. Going to enjoy making the food in an usual but fun way. Also throughout the book it gives you facts which were interesting and to have a little laugh at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - Incredible Edibles, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Incredible Edibles (Paperback)
I bought this for my 12 year old grandson; he was very pleased with it and his sister also liked it - I am not sure whether they have made anything yet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Incredible Edibles
Incredible Edibles by Stefan Gates (Paperback - 4 Oct 2012)
4.99