5.0 out of 5 stars Mysteriously Outrageous!
I am a huge fan of the Alex Rider series so I was more than eager to read this new explosive series when I heard of it's release. I bought and read the book all in one day so I got all the action at once, therefore my head is still reeling.
Published on 16 Oct 2005 by Outraged Teen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best stories
The story is pretty fanciful. A bit like a modern fairy tale.Didn't really grip me and make me "unable to put the gook down", like most of his bools do.
Published 2 months ago by Horace

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysteriously Outrageous!, 16 Oct 2005
Contrary to popular belief Raven's Gate isn't very much Alex Rider at all. In true Horrwitz style the Hero is good looking, strong and very likeable but different and mysterious.
It tells the story of an orphan boy called Matt who was caught up in the wrong crowd and found in the wrong place. As a result instead of being thrown into juvy was placed in a new project called LEAF (basically where you are sent to a remote foster home and made to work to get rid of your attitude). It is here that Matt finds himself under the rule of most twisted and corrupt villan I've ever read. In his new and highly strange country life, Matt finds himself thrown into darkness and mystery as the strange village and its inhabitants take an uncanny interest in him. From here Matt finds himself on a rollercoaster of action, dark magic, mystery, darkness and evil.
In a brilliantly written, intriguing, action packed plot, Horrwitz unveals the secrets of the Raven's Gate and the power Matt never knew he had. Through stranges dreams, unexplained deaths and a sense of unease Matt discovers the secrets behind his strange new town and the people inside it.
From the very first chapter you are hooked and the fast paced aaction of the book keeps you reading to the last page.
Although I loved the book and would certainly recommend it I must warn you that it does contain some dark content. This isn't your average 'Harry Potter' it is dark magic and at times you could describe it as satanic. I personally would never normally read such a book but it is written well and the plot is so good that by the end you don't care about it.
I would recommend this book to teenagers and adults who don't mind the main character being a kid. It is suited to any sex that loves a good adventure but I assume that it is aimed more towards boys than girls (even though I personally loved it). All in all it is a fantastic adventure story with unbelieveable twists that make you keep reading. Once again Horrwitz has created a series that leaves you pining for the next book. Two thumbs up!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this deja vu?, 9 Aug 2005
By A Customer
At last !!! He's re-writing the old Pentagram series! I was extremely excited when I saw this book only the other week! The title of the series alone drew me towards it "Power of Fiver Series" - Is this really deja vu ??
For years I have been searching for the final book in the series known as "Power of Five" or "Pentagram" series, and couldn't believe it when I came across this book. The character names may have been changed slightly - but it's the same dark sinister story of the "Old Ones" rising to power through the gates. Matt Freeman is the boy featured in the first 2 books "Raven's Gate" and "Evil Key" whereas it was Martin Hopkins in the first series "Devil's Doorbell" and "Night of the Scorpion." The next 2 books in the old series "Silver Citadel" and "Day of the Dragon" introduced the rest of the children, and I await with great interest & enthusiasm the titles and children's names in the rest of this series.
For those of you who may remember the old series, first publised as far as I can tell in 1984, this is truly a remarkable & exciting find, as we will all finally get to know what happens at the very end. I have so far never come across anyone who has ever read the last & fifth book of the old series - if anyone has, please please let me know!! This one's a great read and follows exactly the same story more or less, but Anthony has re-written it into the modern day with added bits of information. Surprisingly however, the journalist, Richard Cole, has kept his own name! Now I can hardly wait for the rest of the books in this new series and I thank Anthony Horowitz for bringing this great story back to life! I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially to those of you who read the first books of the Pentagram series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky or what?!, 9 Mar 2010
A Kid's Review
This book has gripped me from start to finish! When I got this out of the library, I got negative reviews from everyone. But after reading the first 2 pages I nearly shouted "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!" in the middle of class! It combines the spook of Horowitz Horror, the action of Alex Rider and the mystery of The Diamond Brothers to make a spectacular creation of wit, suspense and spooks! Horowitz at his very very very very best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quoth the raven, 21 May 2009
Anthony Horowitz wrote three books in the Eighties that were to form part of his `Gatekeepers' series; supernatural adventures featuring a sinister organization and a group of children with special powers. He never got further than three out of five, but following the success of his Alex Rider teenage spy novels, Horowitz relaunched the series under the `Power of Five' banner.

Matt Freeman is no ordinary teenager; investigating the nefarious activities of a group of what appear to be followers of the black arts, he uncovers a terrible scheme whereby The nefarious 'Old Ones' - demons from another dimension - are being aided in their attempts to re-enter our world with a view to utterly destroying it. Matt's disturbingly realistic and portentous dreams somehow hold the key to the gatekeepers' success in repelling the Old Ones' advance, and with the other chosen few he faces a race against time to prevent the cataclysmic events that are rapidly gathering momentum...

Horowitz's engaging and pacy prose is both easy to read and extremely gripping. The writer sets the scene in this novel, which is powerful and haunting; leaving the fate of the world in the balance and leaving the reader desperate to know what happens next - the mark of a top-class writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 23 Feb 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Do you believe in witches or the Old Ones?

Matt has been accused of committing a crime which actually he really didn't do. So now he has a choice to either go to jail or stay with an old lady named Mrs. Deverill in a remote area called Lesser Malling because of the government's new law called the LEAF Project. Matt should have chosen jail because he will soon find out that someone is planning something there at Lesser Malling, and Matt is in the middle of all the commotion.

Matt's past hasn't been the best. His parents died in a car crash six years ago and he has been living with his mom's stepsister, who doesn't necessarily treat him very well. But Matt has discovered that he has some kind of weird magical power--but doesn't know what it is.

When he gets to Mrs. Deverill's house he isn't treated in the best way possible. Even though he thinks the food is good he has to do chores and basically clean up all of Mrs. Deverill's property. After a while he has had enough of this bizarre nonsense and wants to leave, because this was supposed to be a volunteer act.

But when he tries to take a bike out to the main road back to Greater Malling and then back to London, every road he takes just brings him back to the place he started from. Well, he went home after that, and thought that he'd try the next day.

When coming back to the same spot, a guy named Tom Burgess appears and says he wants to help Matt out because this isn't a safe place to be. He also says that he will explain everything tomorrow at his farm, but what Matt doesn't know is that he will find Tom dead the next day.

After Tom's death things got even worse. Mrs. Deverill starts to come out more strongly and everyone that tries to help him get out of this creepy place just ends up dead. Is Matt's new helper bound to turn up dead, too?

Find out! Read the book.

I think this book is incredible!! Once you start reading you can't stop! This book has a twist at every turn. I recommend this book to anybody interested in books like the Harry Potter series--it's just so magnificent!!

Reviewed by: Spreeha

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky!, 29 Jan 2014
Charlotte (Abbots Langley, Englan d) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Five: Raven's Gate (Paperback)
As an eleven year old girl, I thought it was fantastic.
It is a brilliant book and I couldn't put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of horror-but loved it, 17 Nov 2013
I have never been a big fan of horror so I was a bit skeptical about this. But I'd read the Alex Rider series and enjoyed so decided to give this a go. And I must say, I couldn't put it down. It was just amazing. Action packed, with twists and turns that you'd have never expected, I love it. Reading the next book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravens gait, 2 Nov 2013
It's great and I'm under 10! I got so into it l couldn't stop so I just carried on.I would recommend it for 9 ups

5.0 out of 5 stars shamaze balls, 26 Oct 2013
LOVES DIS STUFFS IS A MAZIN STUFFS JUST NEED TO WRITE MORE WORDS TO FIT IN THE REVIEW SO IT WILL SUBMIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravens gate, 22 Oct 2013
This book is awesome and I definitely recommend it. It was that good that I read it in 3 days.

The Power of Five: Raven's Gate
The Power of Five: Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz (Paperback - 4 July 2013)
5.59