5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
EVIL STAR is the second book in the Anthony Horowitz series called THE GATEKEEPERS.

In book one, titled RAVEN'S GATE, main character Matt discovers he is one of five specially chosen teens. Their purpose is to save the world. Matt doesn't know the other five and must "close" Raven's Gate on his own. As the second book, EVIL STAR, begins, Matt finds himself...
Published on 4 May 2007 by TeensReadToo

1.0 out of 5 stars wrong book
I ordered a Hardcover book and got a paperback one. This is the second time this has happened whats going on
Published 9 months ago by peter

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Feb. 2013
Jaw dropping, page turning, you name it. Absolute brilliance in the form of words, a piece of magnificent art. Brilliant structure to the book as well as a literary piece of genius. Absolutely loved it, a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Mysterious, 22 May 2006
Evil Star was very exciting to read. It had so many fun adventures in this book that it keeps you wanting and wanting to read more. You won't put the book down with this book. It's a pleasure to read!

Cynthia Marie Rizzo author of "Angela and the Princess" and "Julie and the Unicorn"

4.0 out of 5 stars not my fave, 28 May 2007
The only reason I picked up this book and read it is - to put it simply - because I had to, for school. I read the back and probably pulled a face in disgust (!) as it is not my style of book at all and I would never normally even contemplate reading it.

However I was pleasantly surprised and though I didn't find it really engaging it wasn't a bad storyline and I felt I could understand it even without reading the first book. This has really opened my eyes and maybe now I will try other books of this genre.

I don't want to be sexist but in my group the boys generally preferred this book to the girls, though it made a change as most 13 year old girls spend their time reading chick-lits and none of the girls really hated this book.

Not a bad read, though not my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars ** Review written after reading entire series **, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Power of Five: Evil Star (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Raven's Gate but not Matthew's character, I mostly picked up Evil Star to see some growth in the protagonists.

This book gets five stars solely for the inclusion of Pedro who I found to be a very enticing character and the first of the Five who I genuinely cared for. The contrast between Pedro and Matt is evident and the diversity ironically leads to a strong alliance which is one of the strongest points of the book.

The action and storytelling is jsut as well-written, if not better, as the first in the series but the inclusion of a wider cast definitely saves the book from being a rehash.

With the promise of a growing cast, my anticipation for future books grew after reading Evil Star, an anticipation that was not there when reading Raven's Gate

5.0 out of 5 stars Evil Star, 30 May 2006
Evil Star is every bit as good as Horowitz's last couple of books Scorpia and Ark Angel. The pace never lets up right from the start. I'm not sure how much longer Mr Horowitz can keep coming up with such exciting action sequences, but they sure are making it hard to put these books down once you've picked them up. The adventure this time shifts from London to Peru. Maybe the next one will take us somewhere else equally as exotic, I certainly hope so. If you enjoy this as much as I did then it's worth checking out Robert Muchamore's books in order to fill the gap in your life until the next installment from Horowitz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evil star, 27 July 2010
I think that evil star is a thrilling, exciting and fast moving novel by anthony horowitz. it is all about a boy called matt who is one of the five children chosen to save the world from the old ones. in ravens gate he defets a wicth and distroys ravens gate but in evil star a second gate is about to open in peru and release the old ones into the world, can matt stop deago salamanda from opening the gate or will the old ones be realesed into the world. I had very high expectations about this book and it was even better than i expected. I would highly recomend this book to anyone, but to understand it you must read ravens gate first (First book in the series.)
If i were to rate this book out of 10 i would say 10 out of 10 You must read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars deja vu, 2 Jan. 2009
A. Sutcliffe (UK) - See all my reviews
I was actually surprised to see the power of 5 series appear again after the aborted first attempt. I was lucky enough to read the series the first time around in the 80's when I was in school, and was unbelievably disappointed that it was never finished (the original version of this book was 'night of the scorpion', and it was the pentagram series)

What better recommendation can i give other than that i still fondly remember it 20 years later, other than being modernised a little the rewrite seems fairly close to what i remember!

After all this time, i may be a little old, but i'm really looking forward to finding out how it ends!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 9 Feb. 2013
After reading the first book I thought it couldnt get any better, but after reading this one I was obviously wrong. Another Horowitz is a great writer.My son(and so do i) loves this series

5.0 out of 5 stars Evil Star, 22 July 2006
L. Jamieson "Welsh Welk" (Malta) - See all my reviews
Even better than Ravens Gate. A real page turner but unfortunately I now have to wait 9months before Nightrise is published. I hope Mr Horowitz can keep it up Please don't become commercial ............. dare to be different.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 16 May 2006
Mrs. J. Stannard "Kal-El" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book absolutly brilliant. From the very begining there is tension. You just want to get to the end to find out what happens, so many questions you want to find the answer to.

Can't wait for the next one (when it comes out)!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The Power of Five: Evil Star
The Power of Five: Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz (Paperback - 4 July 2013)