4.0 out of 5 stars More for adults than children
I bought it because it was so well reviewed - and I loved it. Beautiful illustrations (I think I may have to buy a print too!), wonderful pace and dark humour. However, it does fit that contemporary genre of "children's books that are for arty adults". So - although I do love it, and have gone on to buy it as a present for others, don't assume the younger readers will be...
Published on 15 Mar 2012 by atk

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not really for kids
I have to agree with other reviewers who say this book is a little dark for kids. I know its fashionable to write edgy books for kids, but this book is not for every child. That said, the pictures are a delight, sly and funny, and the story is well told.
Published 9 months ago by qwerty

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly quirky, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Paperback)
I bought this for my neice and now don't want to part with it! The pictures are superb and it's so refreshingly different to may of the insipid children's books out there. I'm sure he's eaten that rabbit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I just had to have it. And I don't care that it is a kids book. Beautiful, quirky and a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 May 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
The most beautiful and funny children's book I've ever read! Can't wait for further releases from the author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 23 April 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
My 3 year old picked this book out at the library about 2 weeks ago and we've read it at least 6times/day ever since. Subsequently, I've ordered it for ourselves and the next 2 friends' birthdays coming up....

What can I say? It's a proper tale, Strewlpeter but a lot friendlier. A brilliant lesson in picking out a liar with beautiful illustrations & such clever facial expressions. A proper picture book and, yes, an image of the illusive red mist descending....

Easily the best kids book I've ever seen and certainly one to put a grin on both childs & adults faces (myself & Alice shamelessly cackle at length at the "crunch moment" everytime)

BUY IT! You really won't be disappointed. I read Mr Klassen is releasing another book later this year. I'll be up there looking, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Imaginative book for children and adults alike, 21 April 2012
R Jones (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I bought this book for both my 3 1/2 year old and for myself. The illustrations are so beautiful, and the story is just brilliant and so funny, it has us laughing out loud with every read. It's just a really entertaining book for children, I was surprised how much my son loves it. There are many characters, so you get do do some seriously silly voices, and there is plenty of scope for adding in your own bits of story for the pages that have no words at all. I have found that it really sparks our imagination. The book is fairly quick to read through which makes it a perfect bedtime story for us. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books ever written, 7 April 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I'm not even kidding, this is one of the best books ever written. It scales ridiculously well with age, and genuinely has a lot to say to an adult reader as well. It's perfect for reading aloud with children (has subtly colour-coded lines for different speakers), and has fantastic moments for getting your kid involved.

But more than that, it's funny, poignant and really thought provoking. You will not regret purchasing this. Buy it if you're a parent, buy it if you're a teenager or college student. Buy it, whoever you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you ever seen illustrations with a dry sense of humour..., 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
This had me giggling in waterstones so I just had to get it....from amazon of course! Funny, dry and the illustrations are beautifully worked and have such character they make me smile just looking at them, can't wait for it to arrive so I can share it with my 4 year old :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sister loved it for her birthday, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
My sister turned 18 not too long ago, and I got her this for her birthday. Exactly her type of humour, and it went down well.

My one complain it it costs a fair bit, but maybe I'm just poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Book. Ever., 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
The original looking illustration on the front caught my eye and I could not believe how wonderful the story was too! So very clever and so beautifully done. I notice the person who scored it 1 star said she was unhappy about the message (hunt down perpetrator and kill/eat them) but my kids (4 and 2) were completely oblivious to the eating bit, my eldest didn't even believe me when I said I thought the rabbit had been eaten so I think given the target audience the humorous touch is spot on! Love love love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars dry, deadpan, absolutely hilarious, 26 July 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
This is the funniest children's book I personally have ever read and I've got literally hundreds of this genre.
The illustrations could almost be verbal they are so evocative and the text which is deadpan and dry is absolutely hilarious. Adults and children will love it for very different reasons. The pictures are incredibly funny and very very clever in the way they portray the story.
Brilliant. Buy it and laugh.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (Paperback - 4 Oct 2012)
5.24