4.0 out of 5 stars More for adults than children
Published on 15 Mar. 2012 by atk

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for children
I bought this for my grand-daughter, expecting it to be entertaining and quirky.... But it wasn't really. The idea is really quite funny to a much older child or to an adult but it just wasn't in any way pleasing to a four year old girl. We have a huge range of books to choose from here, ( I used to be an infant teacher!!!) and she has never once asked for this again,...
Published 23 months ago by Caroline

4.0 out of 5 stars More for adults than children, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I bought it because it was so well reviewed - and I loved it. Beautiful illustrations (I think I may have to buy a print too!), wonderful pace and dark humour. However, it does fit that contemporary genre of "children's books that are for arty adults". So - although I do love it, and have gone on to buy it as a present for others, don't assume the younger readers will be as enamoured with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and funny, 28 Jan. 2012
G. Shields (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book. It made me laugh out loud and not just on the first reading. The simple text and delightful graphic style are stylish and satisfying, and the story is hilarious, but also conveys depths of seething emotions. Tragi-comic genius! Exactly expresses the mindset of a passionate toddler, but will also appeal to adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I have just purchased this book for my two year old with slight trepidation due to the nature of the one star review offered for it by a reviewer a couple of months ago. I have to say that I am SO SO SO glad I ignored their comments and followed the mood of the other reviewers; this book is hilarious, clever and a lesson in life. My daughter immediately picked up on the 'lie' and laughed out loud at the story. The illustrations are great, the book is beautifully crafted and the story if fun - what more can you ask from a children's story book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I found this book in Waterstones with my friend, we are both over 12 and by the end we were absolutely killing ourselves with laughter, very cute and funny book, was very tempted to buy it. Very good and hilarious book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for adults to enjoy reading to Children, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
Fantastic book for adults to enjoy reading to Children. short enough to not be a chore but simple enough to be able to endow with your own personality - not that you need to - this book has personality in bucketloads.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want everyone to buy this book!, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
As a bookseller who spends most of her time in the children's department, I have read a lot of picture books. This is my absolute favourite! The pictures are so stylish, and the twist at the end made me laugh out loud when I first read it. How often do you see rage black-outs illustrated in children's books? It's also really lovely book to handle, and looks great on a book shelf. I spend my time exhorting everyone that comes into the children's department to buy it, and I really hope it becomes as popular as my other favourites by Oliver Jeffers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore this book., 16 July 2012
Samantha Jayne (Stourbrigde, WM, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I have a confession to make. I am not the target market for this book by any means. I am twenty year old but I love this book. My Dad knew I loved this book so he brought it me for Christmas last year and whenever I have a bad day I'll sit down and read it. I've read the book to my six year old sister as well and she loves it because you have a lot of range to create voice for the characters and movements to go with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more books like this!, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I saw the cover from across a crowded bookshop and knew I had to read it. I read it and laughed out loud and knew I had to buy it. This book is an absolute gem and now I want to share it. I read it to a very streetwise class of eight year olds and there was absolute silence for the first time that day. I hope everyone who buys it enjoys it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy reading level - but enough humour to appeal to older readers., 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Paperback)
I wish to begin this review with a warning that it will contain spoilers. This is a children's book with a very unique ending and you will either love or hate this book based on your reaction to the ending. I chose this book specifically because I had read how it ended and thought my children would find this amusing - but other children may be upset by this. Each parent knows their own child best so you'll have to consider how your child will react.

At first glance this appears to be a book for very young children. It is very simple, with very large bold text which is double spaced on a white background. The vast majority of the text is in black, but a limited amount is in red for emphasis. Most of the words are very easy words to read such as "hat", "look" and "please". There is quite a lot of repetition, and there are only 68 different words used to create this whole story. This makes it ideal for beginning readers, and I would compare this with Oxford Reading Tree level 2 or perhaps 3. The most challenging words in this book were "pointy", "excuse" and "questions", but even if your child is unfamiliar with these words, the vast majority of the words will be familiar to any child who is beginning to read - so you can easily point out the 3 most difficult words. As far as reading level, I would put this at age 5 - possibly even age 4 and feel this would be easier for a new reader than even the easiest of Dr Seuss books.

But as simple as this story sounds - the humour is far more advanced. I found this book amusing myself,and both my 4 year old and 7 year old had a good laugh. Because this book has a unique - if slightly twisted approach I feel this book would be perfect for older children who struggle to read more advanced books but feel embarrassed or bored with traditional picture books.

The story itself is quite simple. Bear has lost his hat - and he wants it back. Bear is a good natured fellow. He politely asks each animal he meets if they have seen his hat, and helps others where he can. Most of the animals reply that they haven't seen his hat. One asks what a hat is. Only one answers quite rudely. Rabbit's lines are in red as he angrily replies that he hasn't seen it - he wouldn't steal a hat and why is Bear asking him? Bear walks away politely but later realises Rabbit was wearing a red and pointy hat. Bear's hat was red and pointy. A very angry Bear runs back shouting "You stole my hat!"

The next scene shows a very happy bear wearing his hat. But when squirrel asks if he has seen a rabbit wearing a hat he replies angrily - in red that he has not. He has not seen any rabbits anywhere. He would not eat a rabbit. "Don't ask me anymore questions" he says. We do not actually see the rabbit's demise, but even the youngest children will catch on to this - and some may be upset by this book.

This is one of those books you just have to get very involved in reading - shouting and taking the huff when reading the conversations in red. It would easily adapt to a play for beginning readers. My sons love the arguing, but especially the realisation that bear has eaten rabbit. It is a perfect book to encourage children to read with expression.

We have a vast collection of books, and there is nothing wrong with having some that are very sweet and cute. But some children get tired of sweet and cute - especially boys and I feel this puts many off books. I very actively search for books that break the stereotypes of typical children's stories.

In addition to being a fun story - this book can serve as useful conversation starter on all sorts of topics. We discussed the idea of stealing which is wrong - but does it justify murder? We decided that anyone foolish enough to steal from and then further provoke a large bear had it coming for foolishness -but how else could the bear have handled it? How about the rabbit? We discussed the idea of protesting too much - why did the rabbit react so angrily to the question? His reaction was so extreme because he has a guilty conscience. Does this apply with children? Why do we feel angry when we know we have done something wrong? How does this make the other person feel? "The rabbit doth protest too much methinks" is already becoming a common line in our house.

Because this is an illustrated book - I feel I must mention the illustrations. They are very simple and somewhat crude. There is no real background scenery. Each illustration has one or two animals, and perhaps a small plant on a cream coloured background. In contrast to most modern illustrations for young children that have busy pictures with bold colours and plenty of activity - these appear to be purposely understated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Picture Book in Years, 1 Dec. 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
This book is BRILLIANT. The best kids book I have read in years, and we read alot in our house!
The story is great,kids love it and I laughed out loud three times when I first read it. Buy it. It is destined to become a children's classic, and if it doesn't there is no justice in the world!

I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2012)