4.0 out of 5 stars Picking up Speed Before the Home Stretch
Published 24 months ago by Amaya Ramiel

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Books 1-3 are much better . This dragged in places. Clary was irritating at times. Still some good characters though.
Published 1 month ago by Mrs M Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars Picking up Speed Before the Home Stretch, 30 July 2012
As with most of Clare's books, I quite enjoyed this one. It picks up right where the last one ended and sets things up nicely for the next book, clearly signalling toward a massive confrontation in the end. What I like about this series is that, unlike most teen-angst/supernatural YA novels, the characters in these books are very likeable and sympathetic. The reader never feels like any of the characters comes of as a Mary-Sues (which is sadly often par for the course in this genre), and their behaviours are very believable (given the circumstances). There is no 'will-they-won't-they' nonsense, no friends backstabbing each other (although there are mistakes made that cost friendships, and there's no petty bickering (at least among the main characters).

In addition, I enjoyed the little allusions to the prequel series, specifically made through Magnus and Camille. These allusions are not intrusive or confusing, but serve to provide readers of the other series with a little 'treat'; a kind of 'ah, yes, we know all about this'.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the latest instalment of the series, and look forward to more, as the plot continues to mount before what promises to be an explosive finale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 26 Jun 2014
The book arrived on time. I would recommend the seller to anyone as I had no problems. I enjoyed the book

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mortal Instruments 5 Book Collection, 22 Jun 2014
These books draw you into another world, which unlike other "Magical" worlds, such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Divergent, is tied intrinsically into the modern world. Very easy to become entranced in these stories.
Would definitely recommend for anyone with a love of sci-fi and fantasy, but also for anyone who likes romance and forbidden love stories. It is a story you become enthralled in, and maybe can relate to in parts.

Having 5/6 books in The Mortal Instruments means you can keep reading without breaking the story. Would definitely recommend. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 21 Jun 2014
Interesting storyline throughout - could not put it down.
Ready for the next book, but hope it's not the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cassandra Clare, 18 Jun 2014
would def recommend this author - her descriptive writing is amazing and you can disappear right into the context of her writing

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, Book 5) (Paperback)
If you've read my reviews of the earlier books in the series you will know that I have struggled a bit with it and I wasn't sure whether or not to continue. I did pick this book up but have to admit that I got to page 80 and got fed up with it and decided to call it a day. I sent the book back to the library and gave up. I decided not to do a did not finish review as I hadn't really got far enough in to be bothered and it just felt mean.

But then last week I got home from work to discover a parcel on my door. Inside was a copy of Book 6 'City of Heavenly Fire' sent to me by the publishers. This book is massive and it made me reconsider, I felt like I should read them if someone has gone to the trouble of sending me a copy for free, as I want to show how grateful I am. Therefore I logged onto the Library Website and requested Lost Souls again.

I did a 10k run on Sunday in aid of Race for Life which raises money for Cancer Research, now I am definitely not a runner and I could barely move afterwards, having completed all 6 miles in 1hr14minutes. So I sat down in the evening and decided I might as well make a start on this book. Intending to only sit there for an hour at most I was actually there for almost 3 hours and I had finished the entire book and couldn't move afterward as my leg muscles had seized!

I can't explain it, but having a break from the series clearly did me some good, I don't know, maybe I was in a better mood or something, but this time I actually found myself sort of enjoying it, I certainly got stuck in and wanted to know what would happen.

I still thought bits of it were a bit silly, Sebastian really annoys me with his snarky comments and Clary is a lot more hesitant and unsure in this book and at times I would quite have liked to have given her a good slap and told her to snap out of it and move on, or DO Something!!!

However I did think the plot was quite captivating and I was rooting for Clary to get Jace back. I was more intersted in Isabelle, Simon, Maia and Jordan though, I found myself looking forward to their stories more and seeing where the book would take them. Simon is definitely my favourite character and just keeps growing.

This book by no means blew my mind but I did find myself enjoying it and I'm glad I went back to it. So now I move on to Book 6 - all 733 pages of it! :O

5.0 out of 5 stars Me ha encantado, 15 Jun 2014
Like I already said, I loved it, and was laughing really hard during the last chapter, but at the same time I was really sad about Magnus and Alec to the point that I was actually crying about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 April 2013
Brilliantly written. Excellent development of characters. You could see where it was going so (well for me anyway) there was no real twist but I loved every word!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Shamazeballs!, 11 July 2014
This is, so far, the best mortal instruments book of the series!I am really looking forward to reading the last book, but I would really like it if they made the second movie cause for anyone who hasn't read the books, it is a bit confusing and cliff-hanging!

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, Book 5)
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, Book 5) by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 6 Sep 2012)