5.0 out of 5 stars One of our best young authors delivers again., 28 Sep 2013
John Terrill "Bramejat" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Paperback)
Ed Hogan's first two adult novels were mature, character centred, haunting, locality set books, with an increasing hint of J G Ballard. Daylight Saving continues that trend with a 'teenage fiction' book that will appeal equally to adults. Like all of Ed's books this lingered in the memory long after I'd finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful thriller, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Paperback)
Daylight Saving is a thoughtful but fast paced ghost story/thriller set in a very modern leisure park inhabited by "prisoners of fun" who all have different personal problems. The protagonist, a teenage boy called Daniel, befriends a mysterious older girl and discovers that he has limited time to solve a mystery while at the same time grappling with contemporary issues such as low self-esteem, bullying, loneliness, parental breakup and poor body image.

Daniel matures rapidly in the course of a week as he discovers hidden resources and abilities as well as the importance of friendship and respect in personal relationships. The tension builds as we get closer and closer to the end of summer time and the tragic climax of the story, broken occasionally be comic interludes.

A well written story about likeable characters with human flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AMAZING..., 14 April 2013
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic. I have read this book almost five times. Great book & I loved the part where the author (Edward Hogan = BRILLIANT!) explain the place they were staying. It's like I have been there before. Exquisite! 5Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turning plot combined with thematic complexity, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Paperback)
As a fan of Edward Hogan's novels for adults, Blackmoor and The Hunger Trace, I was keen to read his first novel for young adults. It was as good as I had hoped it might be. The plot kept me turning the pages apace, and I'm sure I'll keep mulling over the characters and their feelings for a long time to come. I'd slightly fallen in love with overweight Daniel by the time I'd finished it! The emotionally intelligent exploration of loss and redemption shows that the author treats his YA readers with respect. Edward Hogan has a real knack for choosing the perfect setting for his novels: the ex-mining village in Blackmoor where noxious gases are building up beneath the ground ready to explode; the ailing Derbyshire safari park, which struggles to keep its wild animals penned in; and now this holiday park, where fun is mandatory and monitored and nothing is quite what it seems. I'm looking forward to more from Edward Hogan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and original ghost story., 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Paperback)
Before I begin reviewing this book, I have to mention the book cover. If you saw my Really Random post last Tuesday, you would have seen the animated version of it and I have to say it truly is incredible. I was lucky enough to hear about the thought process that went into producing this cover and I found it thoroughly amazing.

As the story begins, you don't feel you are about to embark on a ghost story, but you are aware of a dark and sinister undertone as you analyse the first line. The book is told in first person from Daniel's point of view and you begin to unravel the mystery of Lexi as Daniel's begins to put the jigsaw pieces together. The spectral aspect of the story creeps up on you half way through the book and you feel compelled to find out more.

The majority of the time when you read YA books, you are confronted by the hot male lead. Daniel is not your atypical leading male. Slightly overweight and conscious of the way people view him, you instantly feel emotionally connected to him. He is just a teenage boy, who is trying to come to terms with his parent's separation and his father's insistent need for alcohol. No one seems to be looking out for Daniel; as the reader you feel as though you need to step into that role.

Lexi is a rather complex character and the changes that occur to her during the story, will make you feel rather uneasy. You will be dreading the future, alongside her as the events take place.

Leisure World intrigued me. Within the story, the complex gives off vibes of a perfect existence; everything is family orientated and wholesome. I love the way that the author turns that image on its head, creating an alternative macabre history.

I loved how the whole experience helped to heal Daniel's relationship with his father. The events of the week helped to cleanse them of their past, in the same way the water cleansed Lexi of her history.

I love a good ghost story and I found this one did not let me down. When I imagine how I would like a ghost story to be, then this is how I envisage it. Ghosts don't holler and wail in my opinion, they should appear as real as we do, giving the story that atmospheric feel with a sudden realisation. Daylight Saving is the type of book I would imagine Susan Hill writing if she were now debuting as a YA author; and we all know what amazing ghost stories she has gone on to tell.

I was really impressed by Edward Hogan's first YA book and I am now intrigued to read his adult fiction. I really hope he is planning to write more YA in the future, as he already appears to be developing some loyal fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daylight Saving, 14 Feb 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Daylight Saving (Paperback)
When Daniel is taken to Leisure World by his father it really is his worst nightmare rather than an ideal fun family holiday. Overweight and unfit Daniel isn't a fan of sports and isn't looking forward to days full of tennis, cycling and swimming. After meeting Lexi things start to change, he is drawn to this mysterious girl and wants to uncover her secrets. What caused her injuries and why do they get worse every time he sees her? Is there any way he can protect her from something that has already happened?

On the surface Daylight Saving is a ghost story but underneath that Edward Hogan explores issues of family connections, alcholism and self confidence. Daniel is a character who is easy to relate to, he isn't your typical handsome hero but he has an inner strength that shines through as the story progresses. We get to see him grow from an unsure and shy teenager into a brave and confident young man and it was a pleasure to see the changes in him. Although Daniel's main goal is to try and help Lexi he learns a lot about himself and this helps him come to terms with the separation of his parents. His relationship with his father also changes a great deal as events bring them closer together than they've been in a long time.

I really enjoyed the way the author has made use of the extra hour given at the end of British Summer Time as such an important part of the story. I don't think I've seen time used in quite the same way before and it added an interesting dimension to the story. You are aware that this hour is going to have a big impact on both Daniel and Lexi but you have no idea how things will work out. I also really liked the Leisure World setting, I've never been to Centre Parcs but it had a similar feel to family holidays spent at Butlins which brought back some fun memories. The setting is like an extra character in the story and nothing about it is quite what it first seems, instead of being a family friendly location it has quite a sinister feel to it.

The story moves along at a good pace making Daylight Saving a fast and fun read. There are plenty of twists to the story and it takes you in a direction you won't be expecting. An enjoyable YA debut from Edward Hogan that has made me curious about his adult books and has me looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

ARRAY(0xad556e58)

Daylight Saving
Daylight Saving by Edward Hogan (Paperback - 2 Feb 2012)
5.03