4.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince
This is the second book in 'The Infernal Devices' trilogy, prequels to 'The Mortal Instruments' series, set in the same fictional world. The first book is Clockwork Angel, and the third is Clockwork Princess.
Published 14 months ago by L. Carter

2.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Clockwork Prince picks up just after Clockwork Angel ends. Charlotte is now struggling to stay as the head of the London Institute, Mortmain is still on the loose and the Shadowhunters aren't sure what to do.

Published on 17 Dec 2011 by Amber

4.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince, 4 Jun 2013
L. Carter - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
While the first book focused mainly on the mechanical creatures and the Will/Tessa romance, in this we see more of Jem. I didn't think much of him in CA, but this story made me feel more sympathetic to him and his illness. Tessa and Jem become VERY close, and thus the typical love triangle is established.
But it's a bit unorthodox because Will and Jem are the closest of parabatai, fighting partners sworn by blood oath, and love each other more than brothers. So there's no rivalry, thanks to that, and also because neither have any clue about the other's feelings. Which is a bit unlikely, that two people that close would never confide in one another that they were in love, or that neither would notice the other staring at the girl they love.
There's still a lot of action and typical Shadowhunter coolness, but there's more in here about the characters feelings and background stories. I began to care more for what happened to them, and saw them more favorably. If you've read Clockwork Angel, you should definitely buy this. It keeps up the pace, carrying on the storyline but adding thickness to the plot. A really interesting read, and one of a fab trilogy that is almost as good as TMI. But failing to meet TMI's standard was inevitable, as those books are a stroke of genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
This is the second book in The Infernal Devices series, a prequel series to Cassandra's Mortal Instruments.
I started reading this one literally as soon I finished the last page in Clockwork Angel, I am so glad that I read them back to back, as I don't think I could have bared to wait any longer for answers.
Now I am stuck in the same predicament, having finished Clockwork Prince I don't want to wait ages to get my hands on Clockwork Princess!

Clockwork Prince picks up right where we left Tessa and the gang in Clockwork Angel, if the London institute do not bring Mortmain down and soon, Charlotte could loose the institute to the Lightwood family.

Tessa is a much better character in this book, the reader gets to see her true nature and personality as well as her quick thinking and great wit in this book. She isn't portrayed as the damsel in distress any more, as she was in Clockwork Angel. I really liked that change as I hate weak female leads in books, I think it sends out completely wrong messages to teens reading the books.

We also get to see a different side to both Will and Jem in this book, I think the biggest change would have to be in Will. After discovering the truth about his past I felt like I just wanted to grab him out of the book, give him a big hug and tell him everything will be alright!

I enjoyed the plot line in this book much more than I did with Clockwork Angel, maybe thats because I feel like I know more about the characters now. Perhaps it was because I loved all the angst and the love triangle going on in this book. I also loved the fact that we get to see more of Magnus Bane in this book. He is by far one of my favourite characters in The Mortal Instruments, it was brilliant to see him popping up again.

For those not sure about which order to read these books in, I would say read at least the first three Mortal Instruments books before even starting on the Infernal Devices books. There is a lot of specific language and words used in both of these series' which you will only really understand from the Mortal Instruments. You will understand the whole concept of Shadowhunters and Downworlders much better if you read Mortal Instruments first.

I still prefer The Mortal Instruments, but The Infernal Devices and it's characters are growing on me. I'll wait to make judgement until I've read Clockwork Princess.

On another note, there is a little Easter Egg that I've been told about, In City of Bones, apparently there is a scene where Magnus is talking to Tessa and she is wearing a white dress. I haven't gone back to look, I take my source's word for it lol. But then does white not mean funeral and death in Shadowhunter world? So someone must die in Clockwork Princess and Tessa is still grieving for then in modern day New York? Possibly, it's only a theory, but have a look for yourself in City of Bones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
So...after my rather intense visceral reaction to Clockwork Angel, I must admit it was with some trepidation that I clicked on Clockwork Prince as I fervently hoped and prayed that I would be proved wrong as expressed in my review of CA and happily I admit The Infernal Devices holds a much more esteemed position of favour in my heart! Whilst at times I consider the characters and world to be less developed and rich as TMI, I am much more intrigued and involved than I thought and I will admit to shedding a few tears whilst reading this book. The last 20% was intense and reinvigorated my love for Cassandra Clare. I still cannot see Clockwork Angel as a stand-alone book in it's own right, it really does feel like simply an intro to TID with too many loose ends but the writing in CP is far more structured and altogether a tighter, well thought-out story that I enjoyed very much.

So what did I like? Well one of my main gripes was the characterisation. In CA, I had felt in comparison to TMI, the characters were more caricatures of Victorian London and didn't tug at my emotions and make me care for them like I had gasped, sighed and cried over Jace & co. Will was the main character I had problems with. As his story is much more developed in CP, my sympathy and understanding grew for him and he has become a real favourite however perhaps in my old age, snark is not a particularly attractive quality in a potential mate and, I feel CC really did him a disservice in not exploring his storyline more in CA which meant I really couldn't bring myself to root for him and Tessa for a long time. (More on that later) I admit my heart broke for him when the big reveal came to light particularly as the flashback to his parents outside the Institute was revisited and the grief both he and his family endured because of such cruelty. As the heaviness was lifted from his heart, I too felt that dislike lift which made the last few pages as he bounded into the institute ready to begin his life anew all the more heart wrenching. BTW Did anyone else roll their eyes at Magnus suddenly realising a certain aspect of Demons and curses whilst being released from a pyxis and wonder how this didn't occur to him sooner since the whole story had been related to him by Will earlier in the book. Convenient?

Jessamine...well she's still as much a non-character as in CA although I did have a slight moment of weakness where I felt sympathy for her but it quickly passed! Phew.

In book one, Charlotte and Henry were again non-entities for me but I admit I fell in love with them a bit. The conversation they had about their feelings was so unbelieveably sweet and bumbling and just pure loveliness. They remind me of a Simon/Alec hybrid for some reason. Sweet, clueless, vulnerable and intelligent all somehow wrapped in an adorable ball.

The love story...For me. It's Will and Jem. I adore them. I haven't come across too characters with such a pure sweet love, loyalty, intensity that is soul stirring in such a long time. They embody the definition of Parabatai so beautifully and at times I was brought to tears. Their love for Tessa and it's effects on their love for each other makes my stomach heavy and I so hope it endures no matter the events of Clockwork Princess. Jem and Tessa just seem more real for me as a couple. I read somewhere about arranged marraiges and how they could ever possibly grow into an intense love and I'm clumsily paraphrasing here but it was something like a pot of cold water that takes a long time to come to a simmer lasts longer than a overflowing pot of boiling water. Will and Tessa do have chemistry but it feels more lustful and passionate in Clockwork Prince than the deep understanding true love that comes across between Jem and Tessa.

I must include a disclaimer here that Twitter in its wonderful way did spoil me to the family tree in Clockwork Princess so I know how it all ends up which enraged me until I was THEN spoiled again for the epilogue which made me a very happy bunny so while I first was annoyed when I heard about Tessa and her choices, now that I have a clearer idea of how it all comes to pass I'm very much looking forward to reading Clockwork Princess, although yes how sucky was is to be spoiled? Social Media, not always a win.

I adore Sophie and her developing relationship with a Shadowhunter is something I am seriously shipping and am dying to know how that all comes to pass! The introduction of the new potential Shadowhunter at the end is another plot point I'm so looking forward to!

So clearly this has turned into a character driven review but I do want to touch briefly on the plot as a whole. I think the pacing was smoother and flowed better. The bad guys were more realised and even I dare say sympathetic. Despite Mortmain being the BIG BAD, his absence was a bit puzzling and I'm assuming this is building up to something fairly epic in Clockwork Princess. Fingers crossed!!

So what didn't I like? Not much it seems. Again at times things were a bit stereotypical, the Irish maid with the red hair keening in the kitchen (BTW we Irish are more likely to be brunettes if you're ever featuring a paddy in a story writers!) but these were minor gripes and overall the book was of the quality I've come to expect and love from Cassie Clare. I initially was going to give this book 3.5 stars but it brought tears to my eyes so it deserves better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 4 Jan 2012
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Cassandra Clare is an amazing novelist. She has two series in which she is currently writing alternating books. This series is set in the same world as the other but over a century earlier. These stories are about epic battles between good and evil. They explore a shadow world hidden from most of us. In this one, we discover that a clockwork army is being built with the sole purpose of destroying the Nephilim, a group of people blessed with the blood of an Angel who has been commissioned to protect the rest of us.

Tessa Gray is becoming a strong independent woman and a valued member of the London Institute.

In this book, we learn a lot more history of the Nephilim, and the accords, and the history behind the animosity between down worlders and the Nephilim. It is another wonderfully written story, set in a world of magic, myths, legends and mayhem. An awesome read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
Clockwork Prince focuses a lot more on the characters than the previous book in the series. While reading Clockwork Angel I felt that the characters were quite bland and I didn't really care about what happened to them as much as I thought I should. However, this all changes in Clockwork Prince as the characters gain a lot more depth throughout, and by the end I really did feel that the characters were well developed and began to feel sad when something went wrong, happy when something went right etc.

The storyline continues regarding Mortmain and the Automations throughout the book, however there were very few action scenes as the plot focused on Mortmain's past and motivations and the relationships between the characters. The book was still gripping though, and when the action parts did occur they were very well done, and the plot still continued well.

Due to the character development and the excellent progression in the storyline (even if it was focused on previous events for a fair bit of the book), I enjoyed this book even more than I enjoyed the first in the series and I would highly recommend that you read it if you enjoyed Clockwork Angel. If you didn't enjoy the first book because of the characters - give this one a try as they definitely gain a lot more depth and like (or dislike) ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
Tessa Gray has found a home at the Institute with the Shadowhunters but this might not last as the Clave might replace Charlotte as the head of the Institute if they cannot find the magister in a fortnight. Tessa, Will and Jem have to find out about the Magister's past to understand what he wants and why he hates the Shadowhunters. At the same time Tessa is trying to hate Will after how he treated her on the roof but she is finding it hard to stop her feelings for him, however, at the same time she has grown really close to Jem but will she be able to choose between the two of them.

Clockwork Prince is the amazing second book in the Infernal Devices series with romance, humour action and a well written love triangle. I love the references to what is to come in the Mortal Instruments as it really connects the two series together.

The characters are the same people that we come loved from the last book but they have grown in strength and are even more complex. Thought I normally hate love triangles this book is the exception as I don't know who I want Tessa to end up with and I don't know how Clare will resolve it without hurting anyone.

I love this book and cannot wait to see how this series ends with Clockwork Princess. I would recommend Clockwork Prince to readers of Clockwork Angel or the Mortal Instruments series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince, 12 Jan 2012
Ronda (Newcastle England) - See all my reviews
I am a broken woman!

I enjoyed Cassandra's Clockwork Angel but this book, she has outdone herself! I would even consider saying it is more appealing to me than City of Glass and that book was superb! I really can't say at what point Cassandra caught me in her wonderful web of writing, or indeed, if I was already captured with the Angel book. I do know, she is a wonderful, wonderful writer and is by far one of my favourite authors.

Clockwork Prince continues the story of Tessa, Will and Jem and those of us who have read the book will know by now that the relationships do differ from the Mortal Instruments. There are still the twists and turns and unanswered questions, the second guessing, smiles and of course the painful emotions that some of us, like me, can't help but cry! I thoroughly enjoyed every single page!

With my book came the extra additions of Will's letter and the short story of Burning Bright, both of which just made me cry more (having literally just finished the book with sobs!).

The one thing about Cassandra, that in my opinion is a huge negative, is that this lady does not write her books quick enough!!!! What am I supposed to do until Clockwork Princess??????????

2.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)

I absolutely loved the first book in the Infernal Devices trilogy, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy Clockwork Prince. This book was very disappointing for me, as I am a fan of most of Clare's other novels and I was expecting great things.

There is very little action in this novel which caused the plot to drag on. I was tempted many a time to skip pages just to see if it picked up, but of course I couldn't do that because I hate spoilers! In addition to the lack of exciting scenes, the romance between Tessa, Will and Jem totally takes over this novel. There was far too much focus on the love triangle, and to be honest I thought that Clockwork Prince felt like a spin off or a fan fiction because of this.

Tessa, whom I absolutely adored in Clockwork Angel for her strong personality, made me want to tear my eyes out. I am so annoyed with her! I hate what she's doing to Jem and Will, and she also comes across as a complete idiot at times. Tessa has turned into one of those weak, ignorant, indecisive female protagonists that I so despise.

We learnt a fair bit about Will and his backstory in this book, which I definitely enjoyed. I would have preferred it if it had played out differently, but of course I can't go into detail on that due to spoilers!

Jem didn't really have a huge storyline in Clockwork Prince other than to please Tessa. This was a huge let down, because I loved Jem's character in the first book and I wanted him to do more than blend in with the wall.

In addition to Will's development, we also see a lot of other characters in this book. We learn lots about various members of the Lightwood family, the Fairchild family, Mortmain and others. I enjoyed this, but in order for these side plots to be included the action was toned down. I would have preferred to have had more action over the miniature side plots.

Throughout the novel, the characters came out with references to- and quotations of what is now classic literature and poetry, which felt almost humorously out of place within the story or dialogue.

I'm sorry to say this, but I also thought that Clare's writing style was very awkward to me. There were lots of awkward - I'm totally overusing this word, sorry! - sentences in terms of structure, with an excessive use of commas at times which was unnecessary and choppy. The dialogue in this book was also bland, and at many points in the story I wasn't able to tell if a character was talking or if it was part of the paragraph.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed with Clockwork Prince. I think I am going to have to give up on Cassandra Clare's books, as this is the second in a row that I haven't enjoyed. I'm not sure if the fact that so many of her books being written and published in a short space of time is affecting the writing, but I don't like this new style. As a result, I can't recommend this novel, and I will not be reading Clockwork Princess.

- Books of Amber

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
As much as I love Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments (MI) series, the minute I picked up Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) I knew I was going to love it more. Clockwork Prince has been on my highly anticipated list as soon as I finished Clockwork Angel and as soon as this one came through the door, I couldn't help but pick it up immediately.

Tessa is a fantastic main female character and as much as I like Clary from MI, Tessa is always going to win hands down for me. Forced into an extremely terrifying situation, Tessa deals with things in Clockwork Angel with a great amount of strength and bravery. Her kick ass nature transfers perfectly into Clockwork Prince, where Tessa is about to face a whole load of new problems and situations. However, Tessa doesn't approach anything lightly. She doesn't jump into anything without thinking it through and she always does things with the best intentions and reasons. I loved that she had a very clear head and that she wasn't about to go and run straight into danger without knowing the reasons behind it first.

As this book is set in Victorian England, London to be more specific, a lot of detail has been put in to the scenery and settings. The streets, houses and rooms were described perfectly as well as smaller details like carriages and the outfits that everyone wears. Having a lot of this described really made me feel like a part of the story and made it possible to picture everything that was happening. Not only that but Tessa herself and her mannerisms are perfect. As a Victorian lady, Tessa must act in a certain way and is also supposed to think in a particular way. Ever so often, Tessa would find herself thinking in a way that was inappropriate or doing something that she probably wouldn't be and instead of just doing it anyway, she took the time to think about her actions and what would or could happen because of this.

As YA books so often have a love triangle, I was originally hoping that this series wouldn't have one. It does. However, it is so cleverly written that I cannot help but love the situation that Tessa is in with two fabulous boys. Will is the adventurous, seemingly fearless boy that Tessa originally fell for. With Will pushing her away, not even being anywhere close to nice to her, she begins to be better friends with Jem who, although he is really ill, is sweet, sensitive and everything that Will is not. Will is not all he seems though and fights what he feels for Tessa whereas Jem is pretty open about how he feels. Instead of getting angry with Tessa for liking two boys, I actually sympathised with her. Both of them are wonderful characters who captured my own heart and I wouldn't know how to choose between them either. The nice thing too, was that Tessa felt terrible about not knowing what to do instead of thinking 'oh, I can just play them both and have the best of both worlds'. A quick note too... YA is normally pretty tame but Cassandra Clare throws in some especially steamy scenes that I was not expecting at all.

Although the characters bring a hell of a lot to the story, the plot is just as amazing. Sucked into a Victorian world full of mystery, intrigue and secrets, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what was happening. With Tessa coming into her own in regards to her power, she is still unsure of what she actually is and even though there are hints all over the place, nothing is ever revealed fully. Then there is the mystery of Will. He has a massive secret and finding out his answers was one of the best parts of the book for me. Bad things are happening all over the place... Tessa's brother is up to no good, people are being blamed all over for things they may or may not have done and Tessa is still in danger herself. In a race against time, these great characters must figure out what is going on quickly or it may be too late for some. The pacing throughout is spot on, being exciting for the most part but also having some slower, more sensual and slower moments where I could really revel in the romance of the story.

For those others who have been waiting for this for a long time, you will not be disappointed. Clockwork Prince comes in a very close second to be my favourite book of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince (Paperback)
Such a good book and series, it will stay with me forever!

The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince
The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 6 Dec 2011)
6.99