Published on 30 April 2011 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not my favourite volume
I'm enjoying the series and this volume has some nice storyline developments - so why did I only give it 3 stars? Well - I felt quite strongly that the story became overshadowed by an apparent need to shock me. You know the horror movie where you say - "dont be silly you wouldn't go in there alone". Which is where instead of being immersed in and carried away...
Published 8 months ago by Andy

4.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than the preceding books but overly melodramatic, 30 April 2011
It's 6 weeks after CITY OF GLASS and Clary's training to be a Shadowhunter, she and Jace are finally going out and her mother is getting married to Luke. But then Jace begins pulling away from her and actively avoiding her. Confused and hurt she turns to her best friend Simon, but he has problems of his own. Camille, the true leader of the New York vampires has returned and wants to use Simon's mark of Cain to help her gain control back from Raphael, he's double-dating Isabelle and Maia and random people are trying to kill him.

Soon Clary, Jace and Simon discover that Clary's actions in CITY OF GLASS have set in motion a horrific chain of events that threaten everything and everyone she loves.

Cassandra Clare's follow-up to the successful MORTAL INSTRUMENTS TRILOGY ties together unresolved plot strands from CITY OF GLASS with elements from THE CLOCKWORK ANGEL (the first her Victorian era prequel trilogy). It's an ambitious book with a large cast and a lot to pack in, but the story (for the most part) cracks on at a fast pace and I liked the way Clare interwove elements from the other books (which you need to read to get the most out of this) but there were some clunky moments of exposition, which deadened the pace.

My problem with the series has always been Jace, who I found too arrogant to care about. Here he's more vulnerable as he's forced to confront his feelings for Clary and his fear of losing her, although the device used to convey this is hackneyed and I never believed in his refusal to explain to her what's happening (or her refusal to press him on it, instead assuming the worst).

Simon plays a bigger role in this book and while I could have done without the love triangle (mainly because the conclusion is telegraphed), his story does have the most potential and I really liked the addition of Camille who is an unknown quantity working to her own agenda.

The last quarter feels a little rushed, with Clare packing too much in and some of the emotional scenes in the book veer towards soap opera and the cliffhanger will drive the fans mad. However, I enjoyed this more than I did the previous books as the story is more original and as such I'll be reading on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Read!, 26 May 2014
(WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

City Of Fallen Angels is the fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series. It is about a sixteen year old Shadowhunter called Clary Fray. Now back in New York, Simon is being followed by strange hooded people, who exploded in to salt when they try to attack him, due to the Mark of Cain he has on his forehead. Jace is having strange dreams about making out with Clary and then killing her, which scares him enough to avoid her, making Clary think he doesn't want her anymore. Clary is now training to be a shadowhunter and Luke and Jocelyn are busy preparing their wedding. Jocelyn and Clary go to the hospital to see a dead baby that has been experiment on like Sebastian had been, with demon blood. Clary tracks the baby's blanket to a church, which simon has also been told to go to or they will slit his girlfriends throat, at the church Clary finds lots of the strange hooded people and a demon who she defeats. Jace gets processed by Lillith and kidnaps Clary, taking her to the rooftop of a tall building. Simon has also been lead to this rooftop by Maureen a girl who has always been his biggest fan, who he accidental drank from, and who has now been turned into a vampire by the hooded people. Isabelle and Alec (shadowhunters), Maia and Jordan (werewolves) are inside the same high rise building, fighting their way through the torrents of hooded people after finding the many dead bodies of demon baby experiments. Clary and Simon are faced with Lillith up on the roof she has got Sebastian's body suspended in a coffin full of liquid, and try's forcing Simon to feed on him and then feed him his blood to bring him back to life, by getting possessed Jace to hurt Clary. Clary manages to free Jace of the possession so he won't hurt her, Lillith then starts to hurt her instead to make Simon finish what he has started, then Simon puts himself in the line of fire by throwing himself in front of Clary so Lillith's attack will hit him instead, that then trigger's the Mark of Cain that kills Lillith. Clary, Simon and the others go down to wait in the lobby for the adult shadowhunters, Jace says he will stay on the rooftop with Sebastian's body to make sure no-one takes it away, but by the time the shadowhunters get to the rooftop both Jace and Sebastian's body have disappeared.

I thought that this book was good but wasn't as exciting as the first three in the series. I didn't like that it mainly followed Simon, because in my opinion he is not really a very important character, he is a supporting character. Even though I liked finding out about Simon's struggles of becoming a vampire but not really being accepted by them, and him fighting his vampiric ways. I didn't really think that is was all that important to the overall story.

My favourite part of this book is when Clary slices the blood rune on Jace's chest to free him from Lillith's procession spell on him. I like this part because she believes in Jace that this isn't really him and when she sees the blood rune on his chest she knows she is right, and remembers Luke saying that if you can disfigure a rune it will lose its power. My favourite character in this book is Jace Lightwood (Wayland) because again it shows his vulnerability, when he is battling with his dark dreams.

Overall, I thought this book was really good, I will be continuing with the series because this book it ended on a very interesting cliffhanger. I would still recommend this book to others, even though it wasn't as interesting as the previous books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 21 Nov. 2013
I had to make myself close the kindle and hide it under my pillow to stop myself from reading it all day long. Would be a great book to take on holiday when you have all day to read it. I've read all the previous books in a fairly short space of time, not reading as closely as I could have done and I will re-read them sometime, I enjoyed them so much.

Things I liked:-
- Great, well written dialogue between the characters. There is humorous stuff, very well done, which I find is rare. There are lovely romantic scenes between the couples in love, many of which I read twice because they were so sweet.
- The story just keeps on going, lots of action, but taking time out to develop characters, it's well-paced. There were a few twists I didn't see coming, it keeps you wanting to know what's going to happen next.
- Characters are well-drawn, to an extent, and they're mostly likeable. They're mainly brave, strong, loving - the best of human nature.
- I liked all the quotes and references to literature, and the bits of foreign languages. It's educational, which is a good thing in a book for teens, and it gives the book depth.
- Also liked the references to popular culture, it helped build up the character's personalities.
- Like the fact that the heroine has freckles, as a fellow freckled person

Didn't like:-
- Throughout the books, lots of the major story developments are signposted. There are so many hints that something is going to happen I found myself wishing that it would just happen already. It got really annoying that you knew something and the characters didn't for soooo long before they eventually find out.
- So, there weren't many plot developments that I didn't guess would happen. This was the first book in the series that had a few surprises for me.
- Many of the characters remind me of characters from other books or TV shows - storyline and characters are a bit derivative.
- There's nothing new or particularly clever about the stories told here, it ain't literary, but it is good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive continuation of an amazing series, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4) (Paperback)
I'll try not to give away any big spoilers here, but given that this is the fourth book in the series it would be impossible to describe it without mentioning previous events!

I was a little surprised by how much I loved the original trilogy. I avoided it like the plague for a long time simply because there was a testimonial from Stephenie Meyer on the front cover- given that she wrote Twilight, my least favourite books in the entire world, I doubted that we would agree on what made a good YA series. But after seeing the film, my interest was piqued and I gave in- and thank god, because I fell in love with the Shadowhunters! Three books in, and a lot has happened to Clary, Jace and the rest. The question is, where do we go from there? Beginning a new story arc in a series is a tricky business- often, events take a turn for the ridiculous, pre-existing concepts or events are hastily retconned to make way for new ones and character development goes out of the window. Not so in City of Fallen Angels, the fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series.

At the beginning of the book, everything seems rosy. Clary and Jace have finally gotten together, Simon is exploring his inner Casanova and Jocelyn and Luke are planning their wedding. Needless to say, though, the harmony doesn't last long. Jace begins to avoid Clary, and Simon finds himself extremely in demand, but not from his girlfriends...

I was thrilled to see Simon take a more prominent role in this book. I've always thought him an interesting character who was a little wasted simply mooning after Clary, so it was good to see him dating other people. It doesn't take long before girls are the last thing on his mind, though... Clary's actions in City of Glass begin having repercussions here, and Simon is at the centre of the drama. It was also lovely to see Clary and Jace finally together- they're one of my favourite YA pairings (probably because I'm a little in love with Jace!) so I was thrilled that we were able to revisit them at all. The harmony between them doesn't last long, of course- Jace begins having disturbing dreams that lead him to avoid Clary like the plague. Not wanting to pry, she involves herself with incidents occurring around New York: a baby is found dead, hideously deformed. Eventually, the events begin to overlap and the Shadowhunters begin to see that just because Valentine is no longer a threat to them doesn't mean that they are safe.

It's not a perfect book- some of the sequences dragged a little, and others were far too brief for my tastes. I was also a little annoyed that Clary's relationship with her mother wasn't examined in more detail given the events of the previous three books- the calm after the storm would have been an excellent time for them to discuss the past and introduce more details. However, the twist at the end was one I didn't see coming at all; props to Clare for the final surprise, and for setting up the next novel so well. While the pacing was a little haphazard in places, I ultimately really enjoyed City of Fallen Angels and I intend to begin City of Lost Souls as soon as I can!

4.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Angels book review, 6 Dec. 2013
Review: Caution contains spoilers

I had mixed reactions to this book, firstly, i love Clare's writing style, it just flows really well when switching points of view. My favorite parts for me are the sections from Simon's point of view. I love Simon's character, i found his relationships more interesting than Jace and Clary's relationship.

However i didnt like how Clary and Jace had a good relationship at start then Bam, Jace started avoiding Clary. i don't understand why Jace couldn't tell Clary that he was having bad dreams. I get that because of his upbringing that he would have psychological issues but the events from the last books show that he is not like valentine so why does he keep insisting he is like him.

I liked Alec from previous books, i liked his whole sexuality plot and coming to terms with it, but i hated him in this book, all he did in this book was whine about Magnus having previous relationships,and acting jealous every time someone talked to him.

I loved the ending, i did not see the fact that Simon would use the mark of Cain that way to kill Lilith and i love the twist about Sebastian and Jace.

Overall i did like this book better than the other three

5.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Angels, 12 April 2014
Just … wow …

I began a 're-read of this series in January, and each and every book was as suspenseful and surprising and phenomenal as they were the first time around.

Like each individual book in The Mortal Instruments series, City of Fallen Angels, the second sequel with a whole new storyline while not wavering from the consequences of the first, made me laugh, cry - though mainly with laughter -, and, most occasionally, gasp in pure astonishment.
Being as fast-paced as it were, the story seemed quick and punchy, and is straight to the point. And yet so much happened, it was like reading City of Glass all over again. You just get so completely absorbed in the Shadow World that you don't realize how much time passes until you check and you realize you've been reading for 7 hours.
Everything, in the end, has means.

Favourite quote:
"Poor Michael," she said. "He always was weak."
Jace was panting. His hands were bloody and clenched at his sides, his hair pasted to his forehead with sweat. "You and your name-dropping," he said. "'I knew Michael.' 'I knew Sammael.' 'The Angel Gabriel did my hair.' It's like 'I'm with the band' but with biblical figures."

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 2 Mar. 2014
City of Fallen Angels book four in The Mortal Instrument Series.

"Wow I didn't see that coming" is the first though when I finished this book and this book is full of suspense that you will not want to put it down. And my second thought is - how will they get out of this situation!
In a nutshell; three shadowhunters turn up dead, Jace is becomes distant and ill, someone is trying to kill Simon and Clary between trying on bridesmaids dresses and helping her Moms wedding plans, is trying to hold it all together whilst trying to solve the mystery around the abandoned dead demon baby and a cult she has stumbled on.

This is my favourite book so far, the passion is heated up, the suspense will leave you guessing till the end and as always in true Cassandra style, it's actioned packed and you will struggle to put this book down.

I cannot wait to read book five; `City of Lost Souls'

Book one City of Bones
Book Two City of Ashes
Book Three City of Glass
Book four City of Fallen Angels
Book five City of Lost Souls
Book Six City of Heavenly Fire - Released 27 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 2 Mar. 2014
City of Fallen Angels book four in The Mortal Instrument Series.

“Wow I didn’t see that coming” is the first though when I finished this book and this book is full of suspense that you will not want to put it down. And my second thought is – how will they get out of this situation!

This is my favourite book so far, the passion is heated up, the suspense will leave you guessing till the end and as always in true Cassandra style, it’s actioned packed and you will struggle to put this book down.

I cannot wait to read book five; ‘City of Lost Souls’

Book one City of Bones
Book Two City of Ashes
Book Three City of Glass
Book four City of Fallen Angels
Book five City of Lost Souls
Book Six City of Heavenly Fire – Released 19/03/14

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 Aug. 2013
This book follows on from the last mortal instruments and ends with you wanting to read on.

The love between clary and Jace is stronger than ever and continues to grow stronger ever minute. With the battle over and everyone home things are good but there are cracks in the perfect world. clary can tell that there is something wrong with Jace and they see less of each other and it has an effect on them both. Isabelle and the rest of her family are finding it hard to live without max. Simon revels that he is a vampire to his mum what leads to him moving out where he meets Jordan who is his new flat mate who has a connection to Maia who Simon is dating as well as dating Isabelle.
The story has twists and turns as Jace and clary try to find out what is wrong with Jace and how they can fix it so he can be with her again what leads to Simon, clary and Jace getting hurt and the return of someone who was thought to be dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mortal Instruments 4: City of Fallen Angels, 29 Nov. 2013
This book was just as good as the others and I am thoroughly enjoying the story BUT I do feel that the author dragged this one out a bit and also repeated a few too many scenarios.

Next book is number 5 and although I want to read it, I also feel there is a little sadness within me. I like the characters very much but I'm hoping the next book focuses on much more than just a handful of people. I need to be drawn in like the others books managed to do.

Book 6 is released in 2014 and I thought I would buy it immediately BUT now it all depends upon this next stage of the story. Cassandra has to pull something special out of the bag this time to make me want to purchase another book. Maybe author's lose their way when they are reaching the end of a series or maybe every book just cannot be brilliant every time.

KARRIE.

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4)
City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4) by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2011)