Published on 30 April 2011 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Angels
Published 1 month ago by Fangirl

4.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than the preceding books but overly melodramatic, 30 April 2011
It's 6 weeks after CITY OF GLASS and Clary's training to be a Shadowhunter, she and Jace are finally going out and her mother is getting married to Luke. But then Jace begins pulling away from her and actively avoiding her. Confused and hurt she turns to her best friend Simon, but he has problems of his own. Camille, the true leader of the New York vampires has returned and wants to use Simon's mark of Cain to help her gain control back from Raphael, he's double-dating Isabelle and Maia and random people are trying to kill him.

Soon Clary, Jace and Simon discover that Clary's actions in CITY OF GLASS have set in motion a horrific chain of events that threaten everything and everyone she loves.

Cassandra Clare's follow-up to the successful MORTAL INSTRUMENTS TRILOGY ties together unresolved plot strands from CITY OF GLASS with elements from THE CLOCKWORK ANGEL (the first her Victorian era prequel trilogy). It's an ambitious book with a large cast and a lot to pack in, but the story (for the most part) cracks on at a fast pace and I liked the way Clare interwove elements from the other books (which you need to read to get the most out of this) but there were some clunky moments of exposition, which deadened the pace.

My problem with the series has always been Jace, who I found too arrogant to care about. Here he's more vulnerable as he's forced to confront his feelings for Clary and his fear of losing her, although the device used to convey this is hackneyed and I never believed in his refusal to explain to her what's happening (or her refusal to press him on it, instead assuming the worst).

Simon plays a bigger role in this book and while I could have done without the love triangle (mainly because the conclusion is telegraphed), his story does have the most potential and I really liked the addition of Camille who is an unknown quantity working to her own agenda.

The last quarter feels a little rushed, with Clare packing too much in and some of the emotional scenes in the book veer towards soap opera and the cliffhanger will drive the fans mad. However, I enjoyed this more than I did the previous books as the story is more original and as such I'll be reading on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not as good as the first three, 11 May 2011
As a fan of the first three books in Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series I was very excited about it's release and pre-ordered it on Amazon months ago. If you haven't read City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass then I really recommend that you go and read them - the series has the creativity and magic of Harry Potter and the romance of Twilight. Clare has a real knack for really gripping her readers and my head was stuck in the first three books for a whole week. The old cliche of "I simply couldn't put them down" really does apply here. Her characters are varied and her plot is so action packed and creative that when another three books were going to be added to the original trilogy I jumped for joy.

But this book has split my feelings and I'm afraid that it didn't quite meet my expectations. There were good things and bad things about it and even now I'm still undecided as to whether I loved it or hated it. It is truly the Marmite of books.

First of all, I really appreciated the fact that Clare gave Simon a much bigger role in this book because I was a huge fan of him in the first 3 books. It was really interesting to see how he coped with his status as a Vampire and Downworlder and Clare has done an amazing job of showing how his character has developed and grown from book 1 to book 4. I'm even more of a fan of Simon now then I was before.

However, I really didn't like the way that the book's point of view shifted all the time. One minute I was just getting comfortable with Simon and then I had to switch to Isabelle and then to Clary and then to Jace and then to Luke and then to Magnus and the list goes on. I know that the POVs did shift in the previous books but not by that much. Everyone seemed to have their own plot and it just seemed that there was just too much going on and some of it really wasn't necessary. The book seemed to mirror an episode of 90210 or Gossip Girl with Clare suddenly writing about the relationship drama of every character: Simon and Isabelle, Simon and Maia, Maia and Jordan, Clary and Jace, Magnus and Alec bla bla bla. After a while it all really started to get on my nerves as there was too much whining and I was starting to get irritated with characters who I had absolutely adored before. To be fair Jordan Kyle, the new character, was a good edition to the series and freshened it up a bit, though I really didn't care too much about his relationship issues if I'm honest. I was also really disappointed that Magnus and Alec didn't appear in the book until much later. I found that I really missed both of their funny remarks and observations.

Of course I still absolutely loved even just the mention of Jace. In my eyes he can do no wrong. He's a really great character and one of the reasons that I love the series so much. I really clung onto his dialogue and witty, sarcastic comments though in this book I don't think there was as much of those as before! I wished there was more of his POV as I didn't think that there was enough of him. I loved the romantic element of Jace and Clary in books 1,2 and 3 and when they got their happily ever after at the end of book 3 I was so overjoyed for them. But of course their happy ending wasn't to be. Now suddenly they have more drama and I don't know if I liked it or not because at times it would simply infuriate me. One minute it was "I love you," and then "I don't believe you" and "Ohhh I'm not good enough for you," and finally "No, no I'm not pretty enough or good enough for you but I love you so much!" and it all started to get a bit annoying. Get a grip! A part of me wishes that Clare would just leave them alone now as they've had enough drama in their relationship.

The story ended on a huge cliffhanger that could also result in the complete destruction of their relationship. The way in which Clare writes her action scenes are very impressive as they are fast paced and eventful. The ending was very strong, though a little predictable - why is it that evil characters never want to stay dead? It was an ending that really infuriated me both in a good way and a bad way. It left me banging my head and throwing the book away from me out of pure anguish, and then I had to reread it again to believe what had actually happened. It really did take a while for the ending to sink in. I will HAVE to read book 5 now because I want things to work out and be ok again. A part of me wishes that I could go back to the happy ending of book 3 for Jace and Clary and pretend like it didn't happen. I honestly can't cope with the idea that things might end badly for them after all.

The parts of the book that I most enjoyed were the references to the characters from Clockwork Angel, which is from Clare's other series about the Shadow World called The Infernal Devices. I actually found myself reading these small snippets over and over again to try and find a clue as to what may happen in the next book. I think I'm more excited about the release of Clockwork Prince now, which will be the second book of that series.

Overall, I liked CoFA and I have generously given it a 4 out of 5 purely because of Jace, Simon and the action, but it was not my favourite book in the series. The plot is ok but nowhere near as strong as the plot of the first three books, but I will read the next one because I do want to find out what happens to Jace and Clary, though I'm not as eager for it's release now. Hopefully, I will enjoy it more if I lower my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 26 Jun 2014
The book arrived on time. I would recommend the seller to anyone as I had no problems. I enjoyed the book

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 20 Jun 2014
What can I say that no one has already said. Loving all the books just going to start number five.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 18 Jun 2014
def recommend this author her writings are amazing - she is great at describing the surroundings as well as the characters - def recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Angels, 15 Jun 2014
The worst book in the series. Clare should have stopped at City of Glass and I just think that she couldn't think of anymore decent ideas for this book. Jace was my favourite character and his and Clary's relationship was adorable but in this book he was just annoying and so was their relationship. Just thought the first half of the book was a waste of time because there was no real action and the villain wasn't introduced until later. Saying this, Simon's story and trying to control being a vampire was good and the last part of the book was really tense and exciting so I am glad I carried on reading it. Hopefully City of Lost Souls will be better.

3.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Angels, 14 April 2011
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

*Warning - this review contains spoilers from the previous books in the series. I don't suggest reading this review unless you've read the other books. Of course, if you enjoy spoilers then go right ahead! This review is also kind of a rant. I apologise in advance.*

City of Fallen Angels picks up a short six weeks after City of Glass ended. The first chapter - which you may well have read online - is told from Simon's point of view. That's right, a whole chapter dedicated to one POV! Unheard of in this series, right? Until now at least.

During the first few chapters, the reader really gets a feel for how much the world - and the characters - has changed. First off, Simon is now dating both Isabelle and Maia. Yeah, I felt the same way. What the hell, Simon? I lost a bit of respect for him there, to be honest.

The main plot is that a series of Shadowhunters have been killed, and this in itself sounded very similar to the plot of City of Ashes. I did enjoy the storyline, but it wasn't until the last few chapters of the book that it picked up and I started loving it.

Also, I must point out something about Izzy and Alec. As you know, their brother was killed in City of Glass - a mere six weeks ago - and yet the only person who seems to be showing any emotion about this is Maryse. I can't remember one instance in which Izzy or Alec think about Max, let alone grieve him. This part almost killed me, because I know for a fact that if my brother or sister had died, I would NOT have dealt their death in six weeks. Probably not even in six months.

Jace is also having a few problems that I will not go into, but I'll just say that it was very frustrating to say the least. His relationship with Clary is still as complicated as ever, and that got on my nerves. Why can't they just be happy? Must the woes of their relationship be dragged through another three books? It's not necessary. I'd rather see them as a happy couple - which you don't see very often in YA!

Clary, who was once a brilliant protagonist, didn't have much to do in this book. And it wasn't until the ending that she actually reminded me of the old Clary from the first half of the series.

I loved that there were some references and mentions from Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices series)! I got so excited, I almost jumped around and happy danced whenever Will was mentioned!

Like I said, the ending is probably one of the only parts of this book that reminded me of the first half of the series. And yet, even this was lacking somewhat. There is a HUGE cliffhanger ending, so if you don't like cliffhangers then I don't suggest reading this book until the next book is out. But then again, you'd have to wait a whole year.

Overall, whilst I did enjoy City of Fallen Angels, it didn't feel like The Mortal Instruments to me. So many things had changed, and the characters seemed to have completely lost their personality traits. Even the writing seemed very rushed, with lots of commas thrown in everywhere. I did enjoy this book, but nowhere near as much as the others. I kind of wish that Cassandra Clare had just left the trilogy as it was - a trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a novel:, 20 July 2014
This is one of those novels that you can't just stop reading - you have to keep going, have to reach the end. The storyline is fantastic and the novel itself is so beautifully written. Definitely one of those novels that allow you to escape into a world that's quite like our own, but with that added magical hint of fantasy.a great series of books for teenagers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shipping was fast and item in perfect condition. Only thing I don't like is that ..., 27 July 2014
This review is from: City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4) (Paperback)
Shipping was fast and item in perfect condition.
Only thing I don't like is that new NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE sticker on all the books.
It's a bit misleading as only the 1st book of the series has been made into a movie, and the stickers seem to be on all new printed books.
None the less I'm happy with my purchase :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
good

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4)
City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4) by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 1 Sep 2011)
3.85