5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and clever
This is a clever, clever book.

Fundamentally a tale of boy meets girl it is told in such a unique way, with a voice that manages to weave you into the minds of the characters and then take you outside of them, to see what they cannot see, and may never see.

Published on 25 April 2010 by P. Marshall

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time
I agree with the other 1 star, I don't understand why people like this book so much. I feel it is more for YA. Nothing really happens and when it does it is not at all interesting. Didn't bother finishing this book.
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by miss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and clever, 25 April 2010
P. Marshall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
This is a clever, clever book.

The story is interwoven with "what ifs?", meaning you have to turn the page to discover the outcome of each decision, and the final twist is brilliantly executed, requiring the reader to actively participate. Having made your decision, and chosen your ending, I would urge you not to go back and read the alternative (if only there were some way of making sure you never could!) - not because one ending is better than the other, but because you are in danger of having it mess with your head!

You cannot help but wonder why this hasn't been done before - and it may be that other stories will be done this way in the future, though it is hard to imagine that they could be done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling read!!!, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Nicola Morgan's previous books in particular her edgy YAs Deathwatch, Sleepwalking and Fleshmarket and this one ranks with the best of them. In fact I'd say it surpasses them as far as the uniqueness of the plot, the incredible characters and the thrilling story. I found it completely gripping and stayed up all night to finish it. I couldn't bear going to sleep without finding out what was going to happen to Jack and Jess. I think the voices of the main characters are beautifully imagined I genuinely cared what was going on in their world.The writing is muscular and taut and keeps the action moving.
Teen readers looking for a thrilling, twisty-turny story full of unexpectedness and a truly unique hook, should pick this up without delay.

5.0 out of 5 stars This year's Must Read!, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
This is an incredible piece of fiction written by Nicola Morgan and for me, definately the new read of 2010 so far. I started reading it as a bookseller and kept wondering how the style, which is very different to anything else I have read for this market, might influence buyers. Then at about page 41, it simply pulled me in as a reader and I loved it! I have absolutely no worries about telling everyone to read this and will be encouraging not just young adults/teens but adults too as it's one of those rare YA reads that will cross-over successfully into the adult market. I made the mistake (?!) of reading it late at night, finishing at about 2am. Then spent a sleepless (yet extremely enjoyable) night thinking, philosophising and reflecting. It's a mighty powerful and rare novel that does all this whilst remaining a stonkingly good story!

The characters are strongly written and very believable clearly getting under my skin and making me care very deeply about what happened to them at the end. And it's the ending, amongst other things that makes this book different, almost unique. The underlying theme of the book is chance/luck/fate - call it what you like. Jack, in the book flips a coin to make decisions about his life and the reader is encouraged to do the same. Two endings, one choice. I flipped a coin, read the ending it chose for me - will the book end the same way for you and how will that make you feel?

The style - it made for some interesting debate at my book club and we all liked it. It's plucky, sinister, all-knowing and yet full of "what-ifs" which keep you biting your nails until the very end.

This book feels like a stroke of genius, combining a fast-paced story with romance and danger, success and family drama alongside some seriously thought-provoking happenstance. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Wasted Time, 19 May 2010
Dr. H. Kara (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
I have seen comparisons online between Wasted and Luke Rhinehart's book The Dice Man, as well as the film Sliding Doors. The comparisons are valid - but Wasted is very much its own book. Nicola Morgan is a skilful writer who deals lightly with weighty philosophical topics - fate and free will, chance and causality - and deftly with complex social issues - alcoholism, bullying, knife crime. In fact, the reader doesn't even notice these, most of the time, because of the strength and believability of the characters she has created. Occasionally the authorial voice has echoes of 'Dear reader...' but even this isn't offputting, because it makes sense in context.

When I'm reading, I devour books: cover to cover in an evening, for preference. But I couldn't do that with Wasted. It was too good; I had to stop and think, feel, savour the experience so far and the possibilities to come.

In this book, Nicola Morgan does several things I don't like, such as addressing the reader directly and writing in the present tense. But I forgot all about how I don't like those things, somewhere around page 1, because I was so caught up in the story. And that's the bottom line: yes, it's beautifully written; yes, it's thought-provoking; yes, it's innovative - but most of all, Wasted is a really, really good story.

Buy it. Read it. You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, 25 Nov 2010
Rebecca Brown (Stockton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
Wasted left me totally breathless and had me gripped from the start. It is incredible writing, very atmospheric and with brilliant young characters who I loved. It had me thinking about the seemingly insignificant and trivial choices that we make day to day and the consequences of those choices. It also captures the headiness of true love in your teens in a way that most writers only dream about.

This is definitely not just for young adults, the story and the depth reach out to a much wider audience and you will find something new and meaningful for you whatever your age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe Craig & Inbali Iserles 'Do Books' - video review, 11 May 2011
Length:: 5:21 Mins

Authors Joe Craig and Inbali Iserles get together to 'DO BOOKS' - chatting and reviewing things they like. Sometimes there's a cute kitten involved, so that can't be a bad thing...

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for all ages, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
Wasted is an intelligent, highly creative and really enthralling read, aimed principally at teen readers but well worth a look at any age. It tells the story, or rather the potential stories, of Jack and Jess - two teenagers on the brink of the adult world about to make choices that could determine their entire future. But how much of their fate is really the result of free choice and how much will be governed by chance or luck?

The principal characters in Wasted are immediately likeable, all the more so because they have real depth and far from perfect lives. Both Jack and Jess have faced bleak times in the past, and the novel certainly doesn't sugarcoat the difficult transition from childhood to independence. It also does an excellent job of describing the world inhabited by its adult characters, each of whom face challenges and decisions of their own.

The reader is drawn from chapter to chapter eager to find out which paths Jack and Jess will take, and to follow those paths to several potential futures. Nicola skillfully weaves 'traditional' teenage themes, such as the power of music and of first love, together with wholly unexpected topics (such as quantum physics), educating and challenging the reader as well as entertaining them. Finally, in a truly brilliant ending, the reader is given an active role to play in determining the way that their version of the book will end.

I enjoyed the book so much that I saved the final chapters to savour them on a quiet Sunday morning. I played Jack's game and I found myself believing in his world completely. Buy this for your teenager and then steal it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars No chance you won't love it, 27 April 2010
T. Murray (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
An absolutely storming book from start to finish, Wasted had me gripped all the way through. Nicola Morgan cleverly draws the reader in from the very first page and involves them in the story by means of flipping a coin to determine where the story goes next. My heart was thumping on several occasions and the end is nothing short of brilliant. Buy it - there's no chance you'll regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars w.o.w, 26 April 2010
A. Etherington "bookworm." (NorthEast, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
I thought the way Nicola's writing technique was very clever and had me hooked from the first page. I was lucky to read this book early, as a copy was sent to my school by Nicola herself for myself and a few others to read. Now I have read it I feel very privileged to have been one of the first to read this amazing book. I thought it was cleverly linked with the theme, and thought the issues raised were skillfully wrote about. It has definitely made my top ten favourite books, anyone who likes drama, romance, suspense and luck should definitely read this great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex and Compelling, 17 Nov 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
My head is still reeling days after reading this book. I will attempt to be coherent : D

Written in 3rd person narrative. The narrator has a strong and powerful presence. Omniscient within the prose, it provides a clever way in which to reveal different aspects of the plot. At times this can be disjointed as the narrator steps into the story to explore alternate avenues for the plot. I am one of those readers that fully immerse themselves in the storyline, I read as if I am viewing a movie in my head. So for me to take a step back from the main storyline to look at alternative threads with the narrator took some getting used to. I have to say it is a very powerful tool used to its utmost effect within this book. The narrator actually became a character within my imagination.

The protagonists are extremely well developed and easy to relate to. Background details are revealed piece by piece, fitting together like a jigsaw puzzle to reveal the whole picture when the last piece is dropped into place.

Jess has always been in the background, putting other people before herself; especially her alcoholic mother, when it comes to taking control over her life and doing the one thing she loves above all else - music. Then fate/destiny brings Jack into her life, helping bring her out of herself. Showing Jess what the world could be like if she let fate take control of her decisions.

However, Jack is almost OCD in his use of tossing a coin to make decisions. Due to events in his childhood he believes he owes fate if something good happens to him. For every good thing that occurs in his life, he has to tempt fate with the toss of the coin. The more contented he is with his life, the further compelled he is to toss the coin for every single decision.

J always says if he could have a super-power it would be the ability of hindsight followed by time travel in order to alter some of the decisions we have made over the years. Obviously we are looking at the big decisions that we regret and wonder where we would be in our lives now if we had chosen a different path. Yet we do not consider all the little everyday decisions that we make subconsciously that may also alter the way in which our lives will be affected. Even down to which way we turn at the end of the street. It is these little decisions that can also alter the complete course of your life. Jack's coin game is the most powerful example of how even these little decisions can have huge consequences.

A complex and compelling storyline weaving psychology, quantum physics, philosophy and reality into one. Thought provoking on so many levels. A topic of much debate in our house. J has now gone off on a tangent about string theory and parallel universes. We are such a cool couple LOL.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa3dbb34)

Wasted
Wasted by Nicola Morgan (Paperback - 3 May 2010)
6.99