5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to discover this author
Published on 14 Nov 2012 by JFM

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange
Some very poor English in this book and this made it difficult to read, especially to my young son who kept correcting me throughout the book!! Nice story but a tough read a times, would not recommend for a young reader.
Published 10 months ago by Mrs Mason

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to discover this author, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas (Hardcover)
Absolutely delighted to discover a new author, who's written a number of books that I can look out for - and even better, its not one who I read myself when I were young but something modern and new. How many times have i grabbed a book that i recognised from my childhood and thrust it in front of my daughter saying 'you'll love this one' only to realise that it was not as good as I remembered or not as resonant as you'd want to today's children..

This book works on so many levels, the language is fantastic, the story is great, there are good values and messages in there and it's funny. I am seriously impressed. I read it myself, which i occasionally feel the need to do with my 7 year old's reading, and genuinely loved it. I'm thinking about recommending it to my book group! can't wait to go back to the older ones now.

Trying to persuade my 5 yr old to dress up as Stan for world book day (in November) but no luck yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd heard great things about it and was quite pleased with my ..., 23 July 2014
I spotted a lovely hardback copy of this book in the sale at my local bookshop and I couldn't resist buying a cheap copy of such a lovely looking book. I'd heard great things about it and was quite pleased with my bargain buy.

The Boy who Swam with Piranhas is a very sweet tale about a boy called Stanley Potts that runs away to join a travelling circus and meets some marvellous characters along the way. He soon is spotted by the famous Pancho Pirelli and is taken under his wing and trained to dive in a tank with piranhas. Whilst Stanley is having his circus adventure, his aunt and uncle (his legal guardians) are out looking for him to make amends for all that went wrong that led to his leaving.

It's a classic tale, in that we see a quiet but noble lad that flees his home to try and find a new life full of adventure and excitement. It's the dream we all had as a small child; to run away to the circus where we'd be appreciated for our talents and charm. What I found most heart-warming about this book is it's sense of humour and delicate touch with emotion. It's a sad story that is full of hope as well as the gorgeous artwork of Oliver Jeffers (who I'd heard of but never actually read a book with his work in before).

My favourite characters were the fishy business squad and their marvellous leader, Clarence P. Clapp, who was comedy gold in my eyes. He was a slight loon but had such conviction about his beliefs too.

A beautiful modern fairy tale that is just as gorgeous to look at as to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding!, 17 Jan 2013
C. J. Summer (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas (Hardcover)
I'll be honest, I bought this book because it had Oliver Jeffers illustrations but I'm so glad I did as both me & my 7 year old son loved it. We read it in instalments over a week and each night my son would be hanging off his bed desperate to hear more. Beautifully written & a magical story, my son went to sleep tonight chatting about swimming with piranha's....brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, 30 Sep 2013
There are so many levels to kid's books - I do hope they are read and appreciated by plenty of adults too. It was hard to put this book down. Great illustrations too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by all of us, 10 Sep 2014
Brill, we all loved this book. Great story, with some really interesting story telling techniques which don't appear often in children's books. We enjoyed discussing how the author talked about the story in the story and loved that the hero did amazing things in the end. Great cliffhangers at the end of each chapter which left the kids begging for more. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 11 May 2014
this is the best book I have ever read ha it's nearly as good as Lord of the rings which is also an amazing book

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Silly with Meaning, 14 Jan 2014
I enjoy David Almond very much and while I've only read a handful of his books to date; I've found them to share themes of death/grief and either father/mother to child relationship. So I looked forward to this one though I hadn't heard anything about it beforehand. The book is much lighter than the previous books I've read by the author and while I still find the same themes present it is only in a smaller way. The book starts with a boy being orphaned quite horrifically and then going to live with an aunt and uncle who, obviously love him, but he's treated with neglect and the uncle is near abusive. This is all kept in a high over the top humorous manner with the entrance of the DAFT Squad who investigates all suspicious goings on. The second half of the book has Stanley running off with the circus, an age-old dream of childhood. (though I think it went out with not Almond's but perhaps my own generation). The story is hilarious and like all of Almond's works, very British. Candlewick publishes the US editions but they don't Americanize the text, so you get a very big dose of crazy, off the wall British humour. While the book holds many characters, Stanley is the one the reader gets to know the best and watching out for his welfare and caring about what happens to him enhances the reading experience. The bad guys get theirs in the end and each character receives their own kind of redemption for a satisfying and (funny) ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas (Hardcover)
I have already written a tome about David Almond's The Boy who Climbed into the Moon, but this was the first Almond book that my reluctant 9 yr old boy read - and he was hooked. Such fantastic characters and an amazing story of a boy with convictions and courage. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 2 Jun 2013
David Downer "M0GQJ" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
Wonderfully written children's book, great story! I'm an old child of 71 and enjoyed it immensely!! Great read for both young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous book, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas (Hardcover)
My daughter and I were both entranced by this book - I'd recommend it to any parent looking for a book to enjoy as a story and to inspire discussion about a whole variety of things with their children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas
The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas by David Almond (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2012)