5.0 out of 5 stars Could convert the most hardened carnivore
Published on 3 July 2010 by RB

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat Vegetarian
A basic vegetarian cookbook, but contains useful recipes. More suited to the novice cook. Atrractively presented with colourful pictures which would encourage people to try the clearly written recipes.
Published 18 months ago by bernard

5.0 out of 5 stars Could convert the most hardened carnivore, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
As a committed carnivore married to a vegetarian, what to have for dinner can lead to a bit of an argument. Vegetarian food can be so bland and uninspiring, and we've wasted plenty of money over the years on veggie cookbooks that have since been gathering dust on the shelves. Thankfully, Sam Stern has filled a much-needed gap in the veggie cookbook market. This is a book that's chock full of delicious and easy to make recipes with photos that make you want to rush to the kitchen and get the pans out. It's not worthy, either; just straightforward decent food that happens to contain no meat. We've had it a few weeks now, and both of us have really enjoyed working through lots of the recipes. A firm favourite is the Chinese aubergine dish, as well as the Mexican salad. The curries are delicious and any of the soups make an easy standby meal for after work. Would recommend wholeheartedly to meat eaters and non-meat eaters alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Success from Sam!, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
As has already been said this book is excellent. There are cook books you buy and end up not using but this one is quite the opposite. I'm not a vegetarian but am keen to eat less meat and looking for inspiration - this book does just that. The baking section alone is fab with delicious recipes for Chocolate Truffle Bars, Apple Cake and Muffins all of which have turned out just like the photos in the book!

Finally I really like the format of this book. It is small, so fits onto the worktop, has lovely glossy pages, unlike the current trend for matt pages which do nothing to enhnace the recipes, and is highly illustrated to give you a good idea of what the finished product looks like.

Sam is a breath of fresh air - this books bubbles with his teenage enthusiasm and most importantly gets you cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!, 25 April 2010
katseyes (York, North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
The first of Sam's books which I got was the student cookbook, (I'm a very long way from my student days, believe me!) and I was so impressed I very quickly followed it with all the others, this being the latest. As a non-meat eater of 20 years, but a very fussy eater to boot, this book is an absolute revelation to me. I have tons of cookery books, and most of them are gathering dust. Not Sam's!!! This is a book full of wonderful recipes, which has galvanised me into buying new kitchen stuff and to actually get cooking for a change. I have made the cheese fat rascals today, and they are to die for. I have to say the portions sizes are extremely generous - the recipe is meant to make 6, I cut it into 8 and they're enormous. My other half ran the London marathon today, and polished off 3 of them when we got home afterwards. I am going to make the treacle bread and the banana tea loaf next, can't wait!!! Sam's books are actually getting my stepson interested in cooking (he's 11) with his dad, and to quote him, Sam is "well cool."
Fabulous!!! Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Sterns Eat Vegetarian, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
This is a fabulous, easy to use cookbook, there's simple to cook (but taste complicated) recepies that leave you eager to try the next dish and the next dish and so on,
I would recommend this to all who love food, its great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike who just want something healtier and different as an alternative to meat/fish/chicken.
great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool book for teenage/student veggies, 26 April 2010
E. Palmer (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
Have Sam Stern's other books and my 12 year old son loves cooking from them - but my 17 yr old daughter is a reluctant cook and a veggie. I'd been looking for a good veggie cook book to tempt her into the kitchen and so she could learn some basic cooking skills before she leaves home. Luckily she thinks Sam Stern and his friends are hot so she happily dived straight into this when it arrived - if only to look at the pictures! But she obviously liked what she saw because she has been persuaded to cook for us at least once a week using recipes from here and both her brother and I have also cooked a couple of recipes.
If you like Jamie Oliver you'll like Sam Stern - the recipes are fairly simple but very tasty. I'd recommend this - and his other books - to any teen or student cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 28 April 2010
T. North - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
Sam's Student Cookbook is one of my favourites and I use it almost every day. This book has a similar format and size, making it very easy to refer to while you are cooking. Lots of very delicious recipes which I am looking forward to trying out. Can't wait to try the salt and pepper tofu in particular. We had some friends over the other day and were planning to get a takeaway but when I showed them the cookbook we were so inspired by the picture of the pizza florentine we ended up making pizzas instead, which actually took less time than waiting for a takeaway and they were delicious. Great photographs too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book to inspire young cooks, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
Young, aspiring culinary prodigy Sam Stern returns to our bookshelves with his latest title, Eat Vegetarian. Aimed at encouraging young people to cook, this book provides a collection of classic, easy to prepare vegetarian meals. You will find a selection of favourite vegetarian dishes in here, like Thai Green Curry, Quesadillas and Brandy Snap Baskets. The recipes are all written in a simple style and are very easy to follow. Overall the book is very colourful, with bright and tempting photos of each recipe. This is a great book for people wanting to learn the foundation recipes of vegetarian cooking - and if it encourages more young people to stat cooking, all the better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for vegetarians and carnivores alike, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Sam Stern's books and use them regularly. As a vegetarian, I was really pleased that he has decided to bring out a book of entirely vegetarian recipes. Since receiving this book last week, I've really enjoyed making a number of recipes from the book, including red chilli aubergine, ratatouille gougere, roast cherry tomato pasta, tzatziki and shepherd's pie. They have all been completely delicious and very easy to make. I always find with Sam's recipes that they are easy to follow, tasty and utterly reliable. It's really refreshing to find a book like this where you know that the recipe will work. I am very impressed with the range of recipes in the book, with dishes to suit every budget and mood. My husband, a carnivore, has been very much enjoying my creations from the book. The book is well laid out and the pictures are lovely. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, whether or not you are vegetarian. For me, it has already become a permanent fixture in my kitchen. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fun food... and so easy!, 5 Sep 2012
Caroline G (Tun Wells; Kent; UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
My husband and I are not vegetarian, just enjoy good healthy food. I came across this book quite by accident and what a great accident. The recipes are easy to follow; tasty and not expensive to make. My only criticism, if you could even call it that, is that Sam obviously likes his cheese! As we are trying to cut down on our dairy intake, we simply replace a lot of ordinary cheese with a non-dairy version, which works just as well! If you want to reduce the amount of meat you are eating; reduce your food shopping bill or just try veggie 'cos you can, then I would STRONGLY recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipe Book, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian (Paperback)
I am really impressed with Sam Stern. This is a great vegetarian cookbook jam packed with loads of recipes.

I am amazed by this book it has recipes I haven't even thought about - like making your own yoghurt.

Especially loved the chick pea, spinach and potato curry, delicious.

Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian
Sam Stern's Eat Vegetarian by Susan Stern (Paperback - 5 April 2010)
6.99