on 5 December 2002
helen oxenbury's tickle tickle has been a family favorite for years. my 12 year old daughter, 5 year old son, and current 1 year old son have worn out our current copy, so we need to order another. the illustrations are colorful, multicultural, and pleasing to the eye for children and adults alike. my husband and i have the entire book memorized from frequent readings. and all three of our children, at the age of 1, would "act" out the text of the book. we would definately recommend this to other families.
on 27 September 2000
This book captures baby's attention immediately. They love the cheerful baby faces and copying the actions of the babies in the book. My son laughs in anticipation of the finale. It is a perfect book for babies, just enough word content and in rhyme. I often find my son looking at this book on his own (it has been his favourite book since he was 10 months old). I have read this book to him hundreds of times and I still enjoy it myself.
on 31 August 2008
Like the other reviewers this is a firm favourite with my daughter. We've had it for the past year and its already worn out (perhaps because we have to read it 20 times a day!) She always giggles as we reach the end. Bright pictures and simple words makes it a winner. It'll be stuck in your head after about the 4th read though!
on 19 August 2011
We got this book free as part of a scheme to encourage children to read more when my son was 8 months old and he has loved it from day one.

There are only four pages but each page gives you an opportunity to interact with your child and show him/her what is going on. My son loves the babies faces and we put on different voices with each page and on the second to last page he always looks up in delight knowing on the last page it is 'tickle tickle' time. :)

A lovely book to enjoy with your baby/toddler.
on 3 December 2010
A friend recommended me this book, and I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed when I first received it. But my twin one-year olds completely LOVE it. So much so, that one of the first words they have learnt to say is "tickle". They clearly identify with the babies in the pictures and try and immitate what they are doing. We wondered for a while why one of them kept grabbing her clothes when she reached for ths book, until we looked more carefully at the front cover! They now have a different action for each of the four pages - for example, on the "gently gently brush your hair" page, they both instantly put their hands to their heads and comb through their hair. The baby on the last page is lying down, which makes it a great bedtime book.
on 25 September 2011
We got a copy of this book for my daughter when she was sixteen months old. At first, I wondered if she would find it a bit boring, as it seemed to be aimed at younger babies, but she loves it.

The story is short and very straightforward. We see some babies playing in the mud, having a bath, brushing their hair, and then being tickled by Mummy. Although the tale is simple, language is used to great effect - the mud 'squelches' and the babies 'splash' and 'scrub' in the bath. Now nineteen months old, my daughter can recite most of the text as I read, and she just loves saying these words. We also act along with the different things happening in the book (playing, washing, brushing), and she squeals in anticipation when the tickle comes along!

The realistic quality of Helen Oxenbury's illustrations is something that my daughter is very drawn to, and it's great to see babies from different cultural backgrounds depicted. The style of illustration and the simplicity of the text make this an appealing book for babies and toddlers alike.
on 30 August 2011
My little girl loves this book and wants me to read it to her again and again. The children's faces make her smile and laugh the whole way through. It's illustrated beautifully throughout. Probably like many parents, I know the lines by heart. I even relate it to things that we do, so it's part of the every day learning process.
on 26 April 2013
I ordered this book as I'd read a raving review about it. Let's just say I was a bit disappointed when I read it the night before reading it to my 2.5 year old toddler.. I remember thinking 'Is this it??' I expected it to be a bit longer than 4 measly pages. HOWEVER, baby LOVED it and we read it over and over again at bedtime. She wants to know why the babies are playing in the mud, why they're having a bath, why the father is holding the soap, why the mother is brushing their hair, why etc etc etc.. She's learned the whole book off by heart (it is only 4 pages long) and insists that i 'tickle' her BOTH under the chin AND under the armpit.. just like in the book. I'm quite impressed that she can say 'squelch'-it seems like such a difficult word to say! Just goes to show that just because I don't like a book doesn't mean a toddler won't like it either! Bravo!
on 25 April 2000
Difficult to write a long review on a book with 4 pages, but its long enough after you have read it for the 10th time. Words are great, daughter (16months) loves the pictures and always enjoys a tickle.
on 13 April 2010
Short picture book with minimal rhyming text. My 11month old loves it, with big faces to look at and giggles when the baby is tickled on the end.