5.0 out of 5 stars <3
So basically the book is about a Dad and 3 kids going for a walk, looking for bears, the have to overcome obstacles along the way e.g. mud, river, long grass etc. and eventually they do bump into a bear and run all the way home to hide from the bear in their house, when it turns out, the bear just wants to be friends.
It's very repetitive on each page, which is good,...
Published on 31 Jan. 2013 by Erin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
I read it to my 2 year old and he grew wide eyed, shocked and looked worried! He asked me to read it again and again but wouldn't let me get past the 'cave' page before turning back to the beginning. I realise now that it's not meant to be actually frightening but my son isn't able to understand it in another way yet so really does seem scared, despite my reassurances...
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by Jacqueline

‹ Previous | 1 2 355 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and helfpul for learning English words, 29 Jan. 2013
We knew the story and liked the drawings.
The DVD helps in learning the language (we are Italians).
Our baby can look at the picture and tell the story even in English sometimes

4.0 out of 5 stars It grew on me!, 25 Feb. 2011
When we first got this book my daughter was 2 1/2 and I wasn't a fan. I found the text a little difficult to read (I found it didn't flow right) and she didn't seem that interested. When she was given the box set for her birthday (now 4) she loved it. My son aged 2 also loves it and they shout out the words.

I think I started to like this more after watching the dvd and hearing someone else read it - most beautifully. There is a funny tune and it is very sweetly done - but not too animated - it still has a 'read at home'feel. Strangely, hearing this gave me the confidence to read it myself - also helped by the very enthusiastic reactions of the children.

However - my complaint is that the dvd was scratched and so we were only able to watch halfway, about twice, and then it cuts out. I have given up trying to watch it now - and am quite happy to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy, high quality and fun, 2 May 2008
Maclennane (Horsham, Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Our little boy got this book for his second birthday, and he loves it. I'm not sure he understands the story - a family go (unarmed) on a bear hnt and go through various obstacles, until they find a bear, which they then run away from - but he does very much enjoy the pop-up action features of it, and, three months on, he hasn't managed to destroy very much of it despite less-than delicate handling.

It only loses a star because the pages in between are skipped past, and because he is mainly interested in the page where the bear appears; meaning that I have to sit there for hours as he knocks on the cave 'door' opens it, growls and expects me to look shocked. There's also not that much to spot as you're working on vocabulary.

A good book, and a favourite at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 30 Jan. 2013
This is one of my daughter's favourite books - we've been reading it since a very young age (around 8 months old, if I remember right) after we discovered it at our local BookStart club at the library. I like the repetitive language which makes this book interesting to young children (and easy to remember when out and about!) and subtle humour at the end of the book. I think the illustrations are more geared towards an older child, but it's not detracted from my daughter's enjoyment. She loves the dog who is featured on every single page and points him out every time. It's slightly long for a baby but a perfect length from about 18 months +.
We enjoy the book so much we have bought copies for the nieces and nephews too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family favourite., 21 Aug. 2014
Both of my children and my 2 nieces loved this book. We took them to a workshop that Michael did at the National Theatre back in the '80's. The song has become an anthem in our home. Now my 2 grandsons enjoy singing the song and reading the book. When I was a supply teacher I taught to the younger classes that taught and when I had my own class. When I taught in New York I shared it with the children also. It's frequently requested by the children I teach when we have time for a sing a long. I took my eldest grandson to the show when he was younger and he loved it.
This story is a classic and I feel honoured to have been taught the song by the author 30 odd years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar. 2005
Misty (London, England) - See all my reviews
My son is three and loved this book. The book has a lot of repitition in it, which younger children love. He almosts knows all the storey off by heart. The pictures are lovely also, adding something different with some pages being in pencil drawings.
Definatley worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 20 Jan. 2012
I bought this book many months ago but for some reason never read it to my two daughters. We took a chance on it about 3 months ago and now its one of their favs. My daughters adore the story and now know the book by heart. They love the detail in the illustrations and the repeated rhyme on every black and white page. I thought they might have been scared when we got to the part about the bear but in fact they found the idea of a bear chasing you home very funny. Would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with children 5 and under. My daughters have many books but we keep coming back to this one time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether to a group or to an individual, children will enjoy joining in with actions and words, 28 April 2015
Stephen's Bookshop (3 Church st, Monmouth, South Wales) - See all my reviews
Follow a father and his family as they go out in search of a bear. They wade through the grass, splash through the river, squelch through the mud and even negotiate a snowstorm on their way. But what will await them in the cave on the other side of the dark forest? Michael Rosen's repetitive text has a musical charm that lends itself perfectly to reading aloud, whether to a group or to an individual - and children will enjoy joining in with actions and words. Combined with Helen Oxenbury's beautiful illustrations, it makes for a wonderfully enertaining picture book that has become a classic firm favourite for families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Feb. 2007
Mrs. Hilary J. Blaker "Hilary" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
My little girl is 14 months and she adores this book. The pop up pages and interactive tabs and flaps really makes this an entertaining read. I would highly recommend this version for parents to read with their children. It is a very sturdy book and the pop up pages are beautifully set out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well loved story!!, 30 July 2011
This is one of those children's stories that is always a favourite and is read constantly. I haven't had any problems with children becoming scared of the bear and I wouldn't call it a horror story although maybe more suited to children 3 or 4 upwards. As it is repetitive the children quickly get to know the story and recite it as you read it to them, they also like to do the sounds and actions not going under, over, but going through the river, grass, mud etc. At the end there is a picture of the bear - back view, hunched shoulders - the children like to talk about the bear and what he is feeling.

‹ Previous | 1 2 355 | Next ›

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen (Hardcover - 7 Sept. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01