5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' classic!
Published on 15 Aug 2008 by L. Wincott

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought based on other reviews and was again disappointed
I don't really know how to articulate my own reasons for not liking this book, but bottom line is i didn't feel like reading it to my daughter and she wasn't bothered by it either. Disappointing.
Published on 13 Mar 2012 by KikiD

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' classic!, 15 Aug 2008
L. Wincott "winworm" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Hardcover)
WOW - what can I say? This is the best children's book I've read - ever - and I've read most of them! This book had my children, and others enthralled. I had to read it over and over again and they still wanted more! The beautiful illustrations are equally matched by the clever story. The ever so slightly macabre way the frog gobbles the monsters up had children squeeling with delight and adults (who stopped what they were doing to come and listen) roaring with laughter! Just when you think the story is coming to an end, the unexpected twist adds satisfaction like no other! This is a true classic and a must have for anyone with children. It's right up there with Maurice Sendak and the greats - Thanks William Bee - I'm hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 7 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
This book is not really what you expect from a children's story. It has a slightly uneasy feel to it, the illistrations are a little scary and the twist is brilliant! A sweet little old lady lives by a wood, where she is visited by various unpleasant characters - and they do look really quite weird and dark. However, she is saved by her frog, who guards her from the passing trolls and goblins. I am not sure whether a nervous child might find the book a little scary, but mine don't and they find it hilarious. Judging by the other reviews, they are not alone. So, if you are looking for something a little bit different, then try William Bee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surreal, but hilarious!, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
We love this book in our house. The story of a sweet little old lady who lives on the edge of a big dark scary wood, with only her little pet frog for protection. It is deliciously dark for the adults whilst teaching children not to be scared of goblins, trolls and ogres, all of whom are easily overcome by dear Mrs Collywobbles' pet frog.

The end is a little startling at first for very little ones, but it's now a firm favourite with my 7 year old and my 2 and 1/2 year old. A pleasing alternative to the safer, more boring stories in life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and with attitude, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
This quirky book had a bright 3 year old and myself enthralled. Good to read aloud and 'join in'. It has an unexpected twist in the tail and is not your usual 'wet' fairy story. Even knowing what is coming, she wants it again, and again, and ..... parents had hidden it once... but we found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
I bought this book due to the amount of positive, yet elusive recommenations on Amazon. And I wasn't disappointed! I have been reading this to my 3and 5 year old girls for over a year or so. And bought it for BDay gifts for school mates. I love it so much.

The illustrations are enchanting (look out for the snails) and the text is rhythmical and a wee bit dark. BUY THIS BOOK. By the way, the Terrible Thief is from Salford, the Smelly Troll is a Cockney and Giant Hungry Ogre is a bit South Yorkshire, anywhere between Barnsley and Doncaster. You choose. Though not Goldthorpe if that's OK......

I also recommend Wm Bee's Whatever.

Happy reading. Lots of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite in my class..., 3 April 2013
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
"Beware of the Frog" is a great read that children in my class delighted in time after time. Who wouldn't love horrible creatures getting eaten by a frog?? Super repeated and rhyming language makes it easy for children to join in with and become familiar with. I have left the school now and have just purchased another copy as a gift for the children - no way are they having my personal copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the Look Inside images. It was a risk worth taking. I have read it several times to various children and they all absolutely love it. You can access it at different levels depending on the age of the child. It is funny, quirky and has an unexpected twist at the end! Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!!! Prepare for hysterical laughter and nightmares!, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
I discovered this while tidying the bedroom of a 3 year old (I'm her nanny). Couldn't resist a quick read - and was hooked! It had me laughing out loud and just squirming with utter delight at the absolutely brilliant quirky humour and sheer off the wall originality of it! I couldn't wait to read it to her at bedtime and discovered it was already one of her favourite books and she delighted in repeating the words along with me. The depiction of this harmless looking little frog gobbling up nasty goblins, smelly trolls and even huge giants, accompanied by the word 'GOBBLE' in decorated 2 inch high lettering highlighted the ridiculousness of the situation and enhanced the funnyness. The illustrations are wonderfully rich and detailed in a retro style which adds to the visual humour. There was a funny surprise on every page while providing enough repetition to satisfy the predictability-hunger of a child. Yet the ending is anything but predictable. The little old lady protected by the frog, Mrs Collywobbles (such a fun name for the timid little soul) shocks me at the end, which is a little scary, but relieved by the last page which again brought laughter. However, that night, the 3 year old had a nightmare about a crocodile eating a snail.....(in the book there was a snail crawling on the toes of the goblin and the frog did behave rather like a croc). So be warned, not for the faint hearted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the frog by William Bee - Fantastic Book!, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
This is a book about a little old lady called Mrs Collywobbles and her pet frog that protects her from monsters. My 5 and 4 year old children love this book and giggle all the way through it. The pictures are bright and eye catching and it's a favourite in our house. Definately worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern Classic, 18 Aug 2010
P. Griffiths "Gingerthedrummer" (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beware of the Frog (Paperback)
This is a great children's book. My son (3 years old) loves it and so do I- it's funny for both of us, I love the illustrations, I never tire of reading this story to him. I think it's really good. I also like the hidden joke on the credits page.

Beware of the Frog
Beware of the Frog by William Bee (Paperback - 4 May 2009)
Used & New from: 23.90