Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 June 2016
This book is just beautiful. A friend was bought it when his brother died a few years ago, and I purchased this copy for another (adult!) friend who had suffered a loss of his own. He said it helped him immensely in coming to terms with the generalised sadness that follows a bereavement. Typical of Michael Rosen and Quentin Blake, the words and the illustrations come together beautifully to create a lovely book that's not just for children.
on 11 December 2014
i found this book very helpful after the death of my child, michael rosen put into words what i was was unable to say!
on 2 January 2012
Excellent at developing adult characters - just like the adults in real children's lives, and I've seen how it helps them make sense of the world around them. We also saw him at the Hay Festival this year - he was wonderfully entertaining for both adults and children and again opened my sons' eyes to a whole new world..... I would recommend this book very highly, but be prepared that the subject matter is not easy.
on 3 October 2013
I heard Michael Rosen on the radio a few weeks ago and found him to be inspirational. I heard him talking about the reason why he wrote this book and thought I wanted a copy of it. I was not disappointed. I work in a hospice and I think it will be very useful for children who come for bereavement counselling, so I shall get a 2nd copy. Thank you Michael for being so open and expressing your feelings so well.
on 24 February 2015
Sometimes the simple truths are the hardest to say, yet so powerful when they are laid bare - especially when done as poignantly and openly as Michael Rosen has here. The illustrations worked perfectly too. Thank you for having the courage to share your grief in this way, and in a format accessible for and appealing to children. This book really helped open up discussion about bereavement with my child.
on 13 September 2014
Please don't get this for your children. It is an adults' book for a parent who has lost a child. You could also share it with a bereaved teenager to help them make sense of their emotions. Raw, heartfelt grief from Michael Rosen who wrote it when his son died. Heart-rendingly sad. Very simply written, which helps because a grieving mind has shut down and can only access very basic interaction.
on 30 January 2013
A deeply affecting piece of work. I never cry at anything, but this made me choke my words as I read it
on 30 September 2015
I have just read this with my 7 and 5 year old. They were quiet throughout. It is thought-provoking and beautiful in a bitter sweet way. There's no point ignoring that we all have sad thoughts and feelings and this book is a good way to help kids understand that it's all part of life. The good and the bad. It's not all depressing as at the end he talks of things that keep him going.
on 5 December 2015
It's just so bloody sad. But it's brilliant. Wouldn't expect anything less from Michael Rosen.
on 30 March 2009
This is a beautiful book; the words, the sentiments, the illustrations - everything. It tells the story of how the author coped following the death of his son. It is simple and tells the story gently but at the same time is very powereful. It is a book for children and for adults. It made me cry, remembering my own little girl, but it also made me smile, really smile. This book will comfort anyone who ever feels sad, whatever the reason, whatever their age.