5.0 out of 5 stars Would-be illustrators - BUY THIS!
Published on 24 Jun 2006 by B. Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the full size edition
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by Angus M

5.0 out of 5 stars Would-be illustrators - BUY THIS!, 24 Jun 2006
B. Murray - See all my reviews
It took me a couple of reads to realise just how much Blake's illustrations added to the spare, bold text. It was as if Rosen, in his grief, had left some things unsaid and Blake had picked up on this and helped out. I've always liked his illustrations but this book brings out a different side of him - more expressionist - his figures and landscapes (some beautifully economical use of watercolour)seem to bypass the brain and go straight to the solar plexus.

Some people are worried that the bald realism of this book is too much for younger children. But what about those who've already lost someone close to them? Surely they need help in visualising their experience. Ever since my daughter died I've been trying to find ways of telling my autistic son about her. I said all the usual stuff, but he became inconsolable and cried as if heartbroken. I've left it alone for months and then suddenly found this book. I knew it would be perfect for him, as he has SUCH a visual intelligence. It was. He asked me to read it again and again and pointed out aspects of the pictures that I had failed to notice.

My other daughter is a little wary of it, but I feel it will reach her in time.

If you want to help someone deal with loss, please don't be afraid of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A staggering achievement, 11 April 2005
Mr. M. J. Gunner "MG" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
Michael Rosens Sad Book is an astonishing achievement.
Poignant, saddening and thought provoking, though do not be fooled, this is not just a childs picture books.
Even the most toughened of adults would find it nigh-on impossible to muster anyhing other than a tear.
Michael Rosen lost his son, Eddie, to meningitis when he was just 19. After the collapse of his marriage, Michael Rosen perhaps lost for a while his familiar cheery side of his other incredible poetry books.
Having met the man myself, I can confirm that despite his setbacks this man is a super guy and has more warmth and softness than anyone else I have ever met.
Sad Book is simply put unlike anything you will ever read. Do not be put off by it being about saddness and depression. As he puts it himself, he is not bad, but sad.
You will not regret this amazingly honest and open book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Book, 29 Mar 2008
A. D. Spellman "Dave" (Blackburn, UK) - See all my reviews
Rosen has produced a gem and as people have said the pictures are perfect for it.
An unusual book, a must buy if you want kids to be able to take feelings seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable children's book., 26 July 2006
Mr. M. R. Britten "cairocat" (England) - See all my reviews
I used to read "Quick, Let's get out of here!" to an appreciative group of 7 year olds. They loved the chocolate cake, but I got more requests to hear the tales of "Eddie and the nappy" than any other poem in the book. To read of Eddie's death in this book was heartbreaking. It's not an easy book to read to children but it is important. Sad is all around and children understand this. Buy this book, it is an essential addition to any child's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES, LIFE CAN BE VERY, VERY SAD, 9 Mar 2005
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a sad book, a very sad book. It is aptly titled. Yes, it's unlike the majority of books intended for young readers. There aren't any rhymes or happy endings. It's a story, more of a journal really about the way Michael Rosen is trying to cope with the death of his son, Eddie.
Why give a sad book to children? Because there are times when we are sad, life is sad. However, this book is also about love and how very much Rosen loved his son. It's also a book about possibilities. All the things you can do when your life seems bleak. Maybe we can't be too young to learn these lessons.
Rosen talks about trying to look happy because he thinks people won't like him if he looks sad, and he mentions trying to do one thing he can be proud of every day. Then, when he goes to bed he tries to think about that rather than the fact that Eddie is no longer with him. He doesn't sidestep the anger he feels at Eddie's death or the memories that flood his mind.
Quentin Blake has won numerous awards for his illustrations, deservedly so. He illustrates this book not just with watercolor and ink but also with empathetic awareness.
This is a very honest book that cannot fail to touch hearts, and it may perhaps teach young ones to be kind and relish every day.
- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ok to be sad!, 26 Nov 2004
By A Customer
An amazingly successful book in bringing together words and pictures in a way which touches you immediately. Very helpful if you're struggling with sadness yourself (though don't start reading it in the bookshop if you are! Take it home first [after buying it obviously!]).
As a book for both children and adults to help them access and understand sadness, I think it's unparalleled. Reaches much more widely than bereavement.
Lose your guilt over feeling sad! Read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be just a children's book, 13 Aug 2005
By A Customer
Summary: Covers a lot of important areas in bereavement in an accessible and sensitive way.
Reviewer: West London, works in helping profession, sometimes with bereaved people.
I was impressed with this book becauses it says or conveys so much in a digestible, insightful and empathic way. It's the best 'introduction to bereavement' I've come across and manages to get the emotional tone just right - some hope, some humour, some tips, but an acknowledgement that the sadness can be overwhelming at times (and doesn't go away in a hurry). Particularly useful for people who have lost children, or adult children as the author lost his son at 18, but relevant to most bereavements. Illustrations are great too and contribute a great deal to the impact and perceptiveness. Consider this a 'group review' because some people I know who are struggling with bereavement thought a lot of the book too - and felt understood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me cry just thinking about it, 16 Nov 2004
There's not much you can really say to describe this book. It's unlike anything else I've ever read, in the best possible way. All I can think is how brave Michael Rosen must be to put what are obviously the most intimate feelings into a book like this. Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the full size edition, 26 Aug 2009
Michael Rosen's Sad Book is wonderfully written, perfectly illustrated and beautifully produced in a generous size hardback that is a pleasure to handle. This 'Midi edition' is greatly reduced in size without any adjustment for the smaller format. The type is hard to read and the beauty is lost. I bought it by mistake, to replace a proper copy I had given away. I had to pay to return it.
Get the full size, confusingly labelled 'illustrated edition'. It doesn't cost much more and it is worth every penny. I love it to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Forever., 22 Dec 2006
I was having a clear out before the Big guy in Red comes along,and i came cross this book. At first i put it in the pile to take to the charity shop, but then i read it. How could i possibly give this away? It is SUCH AN IMPORTANT BOOK. Im going to give it to my daughter to read when she comes home, cos she gets quite sad sometimes (dont we all)? This book doesn't just help with bereavement it helps children to understand their emotions.

I love you Michael Rosen. God Bless.

Michael Rosen's Sad Book
Michael Rosen's Sad Book by Michael Rosen (Paperback - 3 Jan 2011)
4.79