I made the mistake of reading the first few pages of this book in the classroom whilst my class were getting ready for PE. One small splutter of laughter resulting from page 2, and they all wanted to know what I was reading. Now I have a list of children desperate to read it - even though it's really an easy read for the majority of them!

This is a fantastic...
Published on 15 Oct 2009 by E. Heckingbottom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone...
I ordered this product for my mum, who teaches seven year olds. She thought it might be nice to read this title to the class, as the characters in this book are about the same age.

Published on 16 Oct 2009 by xenofan

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastically funny - a brilliant new series for girls aged 7 to 10, 15 Oct 2009
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is a fantastic book aimed at the majority of girls from 7 to 10 - particularly those who have an interest in football; although anyone with a sense of humour should relate to the key characters.

Megan, the main character,is a lively, inquisitive child who is desperate to join a girls' football team - but there are none in the area. No-one gets chosen for the school team until they are in Year 5 at the bare minimum - and she's still in Year 3 - so what can she do?

The solution is lovely - and the sense of humour reverberates throughout the book, making it appeal to a wide number of children.
A terrific stocking filler - particularly for young tomboys; but I reckon most girls will enjoy this innovative new series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Girls Football Series, 12 Sep 2009
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Girls FC" is a new series of books aimed at girls who are interested in football. The first book focussed on Megan Fawcett who dreams of being a goalkeeper and how she begins to form a new girls football team. The text is quite large and is arranged in short chapters which keep the reader interested and it would be suitable for children around 7-10.

Although it is quite a simple story, as it is setting up a series I imagine there will be more depth to the characters and storylines as the series progresses. Helena Pielichaty's books will definately appeal to a group of children who have been previously neglected in the reading market. Recommended for football mad girls!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes they can!, 27 Aug 2009
Donald Lush "lushd" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to my eleven year old daughter to read and she said she really liked it. She wants to read the whole series and thinks that wearing a tiara to football practice is a good thing to do. She liked the story and read it in less than a day. She also thought it would make a good book for the reading scheme at school. So that's pretty comprehensive praise then! Highly recommended by a voracious and discriminating reader.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone..., 16 Oct 2009
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Unfortunately, many of the children in her class failed to be drawn into this story. The characters were a little unrealistic for their age - showing a maturity and experience that would have better fitted a 12 year old - and therefore difficult to relate to.

The story itself was only really appealing to those children that enjoyed football. There was very little about the characters or the conflict to attract readers that might not share an overall love of the sport.

I was hoping to hear that this book would be appealing to young children, and perhaps even encourage some non-football playing females to get involved in the sport, but sadly not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Come on the 'Parsnips'!, 30 Aug 2009
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Aimed at the eight to early teen's bracket and running to a few pages past a hundred, this is the first of a quartet of releases in a twelve book series, all under the Girls FC banner.

Megan `Meggo' Fawcett is nine years old, a goalkeeper and captain of `the best football team in the world', Lornton Ladies Under 11s. She's also the narrator of her own story, which begins with her failed attempt at being selected for her school team and finishes with a first successful friendly against a future league rival in the Nettie Honeyball Women's League, Junior Division. In between, Megan tells how the `Parsnips' formed, how the coach and her assistant came onboard, and who else is in the side. And a mixed bag they are, too. Weird twins Dylan and Daisy McNeil, petty thief Jenny-Jay Bayliss, Ukrainian Nika Kozak, posh girl Amy Minter, and mysterious Gemma Hurst are just some of those that make up the squad. Indeed, there is a teaser toward the end that ensures the reader's curiosity is stirred just enough to want to find out why Ms Hurst is reluctant.

Due to the number of pages, this book won't take long to read, which keeps interest levels high all the way through, and as it's a subject that is virtually non-existent on the shelves, it's well worth investigating. But this is about girls' football, and junior girls' football at that? Moreover, what about the title? Yes, I know what you're thinking and I had the same reservations. As for that title, all becomes clear inside the cover. I rather enjoyed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and witty, 9 Sep 2009
Champak "Hundalz" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would say, this book is aimed at aged 10 or lower and one can make out from the size of text as well as the story line. My son aged 10 found it funny though he initially was reluctant to read because of title. Other reviews have given the background of story, I wont delve into it and would leave it to potential readers to find it out themselve but I promise they wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for both girls and BOYS!, 8 Sep 2009
Bluey1976 (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great book for both girls and BOYS! I read this book to my six year old son and he absolutely loved it after turning up his nose at it at first when spotting `Girls F.C.' on the front cover. The story quickly pulled us in and because the story is written from the main characters point of view (Megan "Meggo" Fawcett) you immediately put yourself in her shoes and want her to become a successful goalkeeper. My son and I both loved the humour in the book and the short chapters with original chapter headings such as "I was so nervous that first practise! Much worse than usual, when I feel sick and shaky and have to take deep breaths before going out on the field" make it an ideal bedtime story book. The dialogue is funny and catchy and the story includes detail from every day life which was great for me to read as well and not just my son, especially when mentioning `America's Top Model and Match of the Day'. Can't wait to read more stories written by Helena Pielichaty and can't wait to read more about Goalkeeper Megan. It's a book that's hard to put down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Interesting says my 10 yr old daughter, 3 Sep 2009
Princess Mononoke (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was delighted when this book came up for selection in the Vine programme as we had recently met the author at our local library where she introduced this series of books to the children. She read some of her books to the children and talked about how the idea for this story came about. Needless to say my 10 yr old daughter couldn't wait to read this.

The hero of the story Megan, desperately wants to get into the school team, but unfortunately her coach doesn't seem to notice her so she sets upon the idea of setting up her own girls team, but the problem is she's the only one in it! How does Megan overcome this and other problems such as not having anywhere to play?

At just over a hundred pages, this is a good, fun read. My daughter read it from start to finish in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it. We're off to the library now to get the others in the series. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first in a long series, 21 April 2010
sb (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is aimed at young girls, and as the father of a young girl I had to endure the tales of fairy wings and tiaras being worn to football practice (all the while I was asking myself - would wayne rooney wear fairy wings to get noticed?) in an effort to get the main character noticed and picked for her school football team. However, unencumbered by my realism and cynical viewpoints, my daughter was enthralled. Well done to the author - she has managed to write a book for girls about girls football very convincingly and entertainingly for her intended target audience.

Would recommend parents to buy this book if: a) they have young girls with an interest for reading / being read to, b) those girls are into football, and c) those football-interested girls are also "girly" girls.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do Goalkeepers wear Tiaras?, 19 Jan 2010
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first in a series of books about a female football team. The story is told by the goalkeeper of the team and is aimed at a young audience, probably with an interest in football this is a very funny,quick and quirky read.

I don't think it would appeal that much to anyone who doesn't have an interest in football as that is what the main part of the story is about, so if you don't like football you will probably be bored senseless! There wasn't a huge amount of character development to keep your interest.

That said it was the first in the series so maybe the characters will develop more fully as the series goes on.

I've never come across a book like this before maybe because I have never looked but, it was quite entertaining.

Girls FC 1: Do Goalkeepers Wear Tiaras?
Girls FC 1: Do Goalkeepers Wear Tiaras? by Helena Pielichaty (Paperback - 3 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01