5.0 out of 5 stars More of these please!
This book hit just the right note with my 10 year-old who is desperate
for something with a bit of substance - but still doesn't have the
tenacity to cope with a full length murder mystery like Agatha Christie.
He's mad about murder mysteries on TV so this was exactly what we needed.
Published on 15 Aug 2009 by Sarah Hardcastle

3.0 out of 5 stars When Adventure Turns Murderous
With Mondays are Murder the author is trying to create a murder mystery for younger readers.

The heroine of the story is Poppy Fields who with 4 other teeangers is offered a free holiday at a new adventure resort on a remote Scottish Island as guinea pigs before it opens to paying customers.

From the moment they arrive there is a strange tense...
Published on 17 Sep 2009 by R. E. Quinn

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too hurried, 17 Sep 2009
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Murder Mystery) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book seems to have been written to a deadline at great speed. There is very little characterisation, hardly any thought to background or context and just a series of gruesome events in a totally unrealistic setting that whip along at the speed of sound to an equally unsatisfying conclusion.

It was like reading an entire book condensed into about a chapter and I found it utterly frustrating.

Kids may like it if they want nothing more than a string of unpleasant murders to get their teeth into but I found the entire thing weak and utterly unsatisfying.

This is clearly one of a series and it may be that as the series progresses that these points will be ironed out and that it is better to read them all one after the other, but on the strength of this I don't think I'll be bothering.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good writing style but some concerns..., 11 July 2009
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an adult, the writing style of this book makes me almost jealous: Why did I not have more books like this as a child? I am a massive fan of writers who 'get to the point' and Tanya Landman does this extremely well. This is an engaging and enjoyable story, however I am a little concerned by 2 things. The opening page describes, in some graphic details, the character Steve Harris getting burned to death in a scalding shower cubicle, while unable to escape. This made me feel uncomfortable, so I am not sure how a child of 10+ would feel. Also, is it really a good idea to be introducing the term 'murder' to children? I have mixed feelings. What I do know is that it's a well written story that will engage a child and hopefully introduce them to the enjoyment reading can bring.

3.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling rollercoaster of a mystery..............., 3 Aug 2009
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Poppy Fields in on the case......
Poppy is an ordinary girl forced to go on an adventure holiday by her mum. It's just that this is more of an adventure than anyone could have bargained for!!
This is the first in a series of mysteries for kids. It introduces us to Poppy and her new friend Graham. They go to the same school but don't really know each other before this holiday. This is a thrilling mystery for young readers- around about ten years of age upwards. It involves murder and intrigue and was an easy read.
It looks set to be an interesting series in which, I should imagine, the characters will grow and be developed into detectives. It reminded me a little of the Nancy Drew mysteries that I read as a child.

2.0 out of 5 stars MURDERS FOR CHILDREN..............................., 30 Jun 2009
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I am well over the target audience age, it is very difficult for me to assess this book without being prejudiced.
The story is short and concerns a series of murders on a remote Scottish Island. The plot is similar to Dame Agatha's "And Then There Were None". Aimed at 10+ age group, I am not sure that this is suitable for younger children and teenagers would want something rather more mature. I myself started on Simenon and Christie at about fourteen.
It is a good enough story and the main characters, Poppy and Graham, are interesting. The writing is somewhat crisp and the plot moves too quickly to have any depth. At age 10, I would advise children to stick to Enid Blyton where there is everthing a child could ask for - bags of plot and loads of personality in the characters.
In the end, I thought it was shallow and lacked sparkle and I cannot see it inspiring children to read any more of the series. However, I may be wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and idiosyncratic wine guide, mainly for (well heeled) beginners, 14 Dec 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't like any other wine book I've read, its personal and idiosyncratic, and most surprisingly Mr Hoggart makes few personal comments on the wines, leaving this to experts. I guess this is just being honest - you get the impression that he enjoys drinking and writing, but doesn't pretend to be an expert.

As such, it would be useful to someone getting to know wines as it points them in a sound direction, but also takes in some interesting and excellent less well known wines. The book sometimes recommends specific wines (eg Chilean Kaiken Ultra which I'd never heard of but is by a favourite winemaker and I'll certainly look out for it), at other times recommends a whole region such as Madeira (which places the reader on rocky ground as amongst its excellent wines are some real stinkers). It also has little digressions on topics like wine and food, how to buy wine and the like.

On the whole this is a book for the beginner, and armed with this it would take them down both reliable and interesting paths. The essays likewise help orientate the beginner to wine topics. What is less for the beginner is the prices: I read the entry for Jackson grey Ghost Sauvignon Blanc, having just turned down a special offer from my wine merchant as being rather beyond my reach (despite having a serious liking for Jackson wines), yet this is only gets 2 out of the possible 5 stars that he uses as a guide to prices.

It is amusingly written (though you'd hardly read it either for its humour and certainly not the cartoons), but ends up saying surprisingly little about he wine in favour of anecdotes about where he discovered it and the memories it holds. Nothing wrong with that, but I really wanted to hear about the wine!

At the end of the book there is a list of UK suppliers of the recommended which is useful (why not just put it with the description of the wine though?).

That said, the book grew on me and l enjoyed the diversions from the main vinous highway into minor roads and more unusual wines. I will certainly be keeping my eye out for some of these, not least because wines that I already know and that he recommends are amongst my favourites, so his choices are (by my lights) sound. So a bit of a ho, hum review for a man whose political sketches in the Guardian and until recently his chairmanship of the news quiz make him a personal favourite

1.0 out of 5 stars Thin enough plot to trace through, 23 July 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this mystery novel because my nine year old niece has become fascinated with detective shows on television and has managed to read every Nancy Drew she can lay her hands on. At first glance Mondays are Murder looked very promising for her age range; a young girl Poppy Fields is sent on a free adventure holiday to a remote island in Scotland with a group of other children. When they arrive on the island a sense of menace arrives with them as one by one the adult tutors on the course begin to fall prey to nasty accidents leading to the conclusion that they are trapped on an island with a murderer.

As plots go the idea behind Mondays are Murder is pure vintage Christie's Ten Little Indians but unfortunately the execution of this novel doesn't even warrant mentioning in the same breath. Poppy seemed like a likeable enough character; determined, loyal and courageous when called for but like everything else in this novel there just hasn't been enough substance put into it. The kids attending the centre with Poppy are barely sketched in and serve as nothing more than wallpaper - as my niece put it 'they don't seem to be doing much do they?' the only characters given any weight are Poppy and a boy from her school Graham who is also on the island with her.

The mystery isn't given enough time to evolve and with such thin characterisation- the whipcrack pace as three bodies pile up before the reader reaches page 40 only serves to destroy any tension that could have been built. There is nowhere near enough insight into the shadowy backgrounds of each tutor which could have helped create more intrigue and red-herrings or even sympathy for their plight as they are cut down one by one.

I can only recommend this novel for the very reluctant reader and even then that is largely because of its short length and fast pace- although you don't get anywhere near enough a meaty storyline the reluctant reader should at least feel a sense of achievement in finishing a book so quickly. My niece's final verdict on this was 'that it wasn't exciting enough like Nancy Drew where she finds clues, Poppy doesn't even have time to work out clues because they all die so fast.'

Ultimately a big thumbs down for what should have been an excellent mystery for younger readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for sensitive ten year olds, 5 July 2009
Last night I had my ten-year old daughter unable to sleep and crying because of the images in this book that she couldn't get out of her mind.

It may be suitable for some ten-year olds, but it certainly upset her.

Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Murder Mystery)
Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Murder Mystery) by Tanya Landman (Paperback - 1 Jun 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01