5.0 out of 5 stars captivating read
Published on 10 Jan 2011 by goodlifegirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite odd
A strange book. We read this aloud to our children who quite liked it - but as an adult I wasn't so sure.
Published 3 months ago by S. Goldie

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating read, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
My 2 children (aged 7 and 10) have enjoyed this book hugely, in large to part due to the unpredictable and imaginative storyline. THe story is told with beautiful language and in a way that completely feeds the imagination. It makes you feel that anything is possible and you are only bound by the limits of your own mind - which is a great theme to introduce to children. We have been reading this aloud and it has gone down a storm. It manages to be both wacky and conventional at the same time!!!! Finally a word about the presentation of the book - gorgeous rich illustrations and a very well put together book with a quality feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
Why this book doesn't have a long list of 5* reviews after it is beyond me! Found it by chance and it's a real gem. Beautifully written and illustrated, fantastically imaginative, warm, moving and very funny. A story about a bored, sad and shy young boy discovering the delights of his imagination with the help of the eccentric inhabitants of his block of flats. Reading this to my giggling 7 year old will be a memory we will both treasure. Will definitely be looking out for more by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Imagination and gorgeous illustrations., 11 April 2011
F. Jessop "Kids enthusiast" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
This is the story of Paul who is encouraged to follow his ideas and climb into the moon. He is aided by his family and friends. They are all willing in his apartment to hoist a ladder into the sky. The illustrations provided by Polly Dunbar are bright and happy.
The story could be used to fuel creative writing in school.

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved it, 25 Mar 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
This is a book by David Almond for younger readers, in much the same style and format as My Dad's A Birdman. I love Almond's work as does my teenage daughter, but his novels are way beyond what my eight and five year old can cope with, so the fact that he is now writing for younger children is a delight. They loved this book, as do I. Having said that it is for younger children I would point out that the material can be quite thought provoking and the way the book is written requires creativity and flexible thinking on the part of the readers to get the most out of it. Paul is a young, shy boy who lives in the basement of a huge apartment block. One day a series of unlikely and amazing events lead him on the adventure of a life time when he sets out to find out if the moon really is a star, or just a hole in the sky. Polly Dunbar's illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to the tale and really bring out the subtle humour and loveliness of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! My reluctant reader son LOVED this book., 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
Thank you David Almond - the pleasure this has given to my 9 year old son and I! He even reads it on his own.....! He finished this book last night and padded down to tell us that he now needs the next one. We loved the part when he has to fill out the survey which was very funny because this weekend our son ACTUALLY had to fill out a survey for OFSTED and knew exactly what to do and we had a good laugh about it, remembering the passage in the book. The book even looks beautiful - my boy who would normally much prefer to be playing than reading, just kept turning it over in his hands and taking the sleeve off to look and feel the amazing illustrations. Very poignant as a mother who has tried so hard to nurture the love of books into a reluctant child...thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to read, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
David Almond is a wonderful writer for children whose stories provide excitement, joy (and at times a little sadness) , stimulate the imaginations and provoke discussion - this book is no exception.

My 5 year old daughter loved having this read to her while I enjoyed it just as much and as any parent knows a story that makes bedtime something to be looked forward to is a rare treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another remarkable David Almond book, 31 May 2012
This review is from: The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon (Hardcover)
I love this author - so does my 3-year old Grand-daughter. Even my 19 month old stayed still when we read this book to them! I can't wait to read them some more of his books, although I think they need to be somewhat older for Skellig - my favourite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Popular with grandsons, 13 Sep 2014
Grandsons enjoyed it very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite odd, 29 May 2014
S. Goldie (Alton, Hants) - See all my reviews

The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon
The Boy Who Climbed into the Moon by David Almond (Hardcover - 5 April 2010)
Used & New from: £2.30