5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the timid as well as the brave
Published on 18 May 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Read it before you buy it! Some scary language used!
Published 22 months ago by Glitterbug

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the timid as well as the brave, 18 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Paperback)
Another fabulous book by naturalist-turned-author Nicola Davies. My three year old daughter was terrified of snorkelling until she read Surprising Sharks and learned about these amazing animals. The bright colours and groovy piccies are a plus and the information-packed pages are great, especially with the way they are laid out so that you can skim or delve into the various topics. But what really sets this book apart is Nicola Davies' humane voice, which always respects other species and what they add to our world. A great read for the brave and aid to the timid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read it before you buy it! Some scary language used!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) (Hardcover)
My 4 year old son got this book in a party bag so I didn't look at it before reading it. I sat down with my two kids 2 & 4 yrs and read it to them. I was surprised at the tone of the book and found myself very quickly having to change the language used into more child friendly words. The first page reads "You're swimming in the warm blue sea. Whats the one word that turns your dreams into a nightmare? What's the one word that makes you think of a giant man-eating killer? Shaaaarrrkk!" Further on in the book it goes on to say "And then when they are close enough for the kill, they feel the crackle of their prey's living nerves, so they bite in just the right place ... no matter what the prey! Wheather it's plankton ... or people! Oh yes, it's true - some sharks do kill people; about six of us every year."

I personally thought this kind of graphic language and the use of such strong words unsuitable for my small children. I didn't want them never to dare to go into the sea again! It is a shame as there are really good parts to the book, my son really enjoyed looking at the different sized sharks and learning their funny names.

My advice would be to read it first, it may well not scare some smaller children but in my opinion it's suited to an older age range than the front cover suggests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 20 Jan 2011
Sumedha Rao (Lockbourne, OH, US) - See all my reviews
Love this book. Absolutely beautiful. The pictures are great the writing is so beautiful we really felt FOR the sharks!! My 4 year old loves this book so much and she has learnt so much about Sharks. Last evening she made a lovely picture of a tiger shark. It really inspired her!! I loved the other book about the Big Blue Whale too. Plan to get more books in the series. And by the way if you get the audio book it is even better. The narration is great and adds more interest with just enough music:)

5.0 out of 5 stars surprising sharks, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) (Hardcover)
This is a great book which I needed for a topic at work. Full of useful information and lots of pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and interesting, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) (Hardcover)
Not much of a story line, but the bright pictures keeps the interest going through the book. Lots of facts which is nice, but as a story its not our favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series of nature books, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) (Hardcover)
My daughter of 4 years absolutely loves this book and the series is truly fabulous for those interested in nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising sharks - by Nicola Davies, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) (Hardcover)
I thought this book was just splendid. I loved the illustrations. Nicola Davis manages to be educational and entertaining at the same time. The illustrations were colourful and fabulous. Plenty of information for parents here too. My 6 year old child was just old enough to read it too and was riveted. It certainly puts things in perspective where the actual balance of power lies between the two species. I can highly recommend this book and ALL the nature books she writes. I am a great fan of this author and she has inspired my daughter to be more interested in and protective of nature.

Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks)
Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks) by Nicola Davies (Hardcover - 4 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01