on 24 June 2001
Decievingly like a fiction book from the front cover this book gives information about whales in an inviting, interesting way. Excellent for teachers studying the use of similes and adjectives. The text plays around with language and explores how language can be presented on the page. The illustrations are delighful. This is a book children will want to look at over and over again. A must for any KS2 teacher.
on 28 April 2002
Reading this book through with children aged 8 and 10 was a joy as they loved every minute of it! You can make curriculum links to geography and learn about the life of the whale. Very descriptive language presented in different formats. A Must have.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 August 2015
We've had books illustrated by Nick Maland before, and his style is distinctive and works well with Nicola Davies factual picture books.

His whales are beautiful, and the size of them is made very clear for small children.

This isn't a story as such, it's a look at the blue whale, with facts interspersed with a narratino as two people look over the whale and talk about him.

It might be a bit much for toddlers, but it was just about right for my four year old - it's fairly lengthy and wordy, but is lovely to read.

The whale has eyes "as big as a teacup and as dark as the deep sea."

The book covers how it breathes, , eats, swims and stays warm, looks after its young, communicates.

There is an index at the end (itself useful for school-aged children for finding pages on particular subjects). There are also extra paragraphs in a different font throughout giving furhter facts about the whale that add to the description but for young er children could be missed out.

It is very well thought through, and looks lovely.

We would read more in a series if other animals were written about.
on 29 December 2000
It's very good because it tells you lots of things, like a blue whale can grow to over thirty metres long. I read it lots of times and it made me really happy. We first got it from the library so I had to take it back and that made me really really sad. So now I am buying it.
on 21 December 2012
Both my 11 year old and my 6 year old were fascinated by this book. The book describes the size, feeding habits, migration habits and a bit about the young of this majestic mammal in accessible entertaining style. As always with her books the parents become better informed eg I did not know that there are TWO global populations of blue whales who never meet because when one lot are at the equator, the other lot are at the opposite pole to where the first lot have come from....prompted lots of talk about seasons change, the earth tilting etc
The illustrations manage to convey the enormous SIZE of this gentle beast.This author is always entertaining and informative. I cannot praise this author and her work highly enough. This book inspired my kids and gripped them.
My kids were gripped by this book as by all her books. The language is easy enough for a six your old to read by themselves , perhaps with a bit of supervison or prompting. Really lovely book.
on 20 March 2014
I loved this book. So well illustrated with very informative text - this book is great for sharing with one child or a class. My class were very sad for the two distinct families of whales which appear to be forever destined to pass for ships in the night. The size of the whale's eye in the head of such a large animal also invited great discussion and the size of the ear even more so. This is a lovely book.
on 2 May 2013
Suitable for all 4-11
Really easy to follow and understand.. More books like this please
Clear, colourful and factual - I've used this a few times and children can follow actions to deepen understanding. Captures their attention.
on 27 May 2013
If buying this as a story book, I didnt find it great. Its very factual, which is good and very interesting, but the lack of a story line means it doesn't keep my sons attention and the pictures seemed a little dull. Not our favourate.
on 16 December 2010
This is a great book! well worth it, my 3yrs son loves it! it one of the first ones to come up at night!
on 20 May 2015
My children loved this book. Constantly asking me to re-read it.