Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 April 2003
This is the only book I've found which adapts the legend of Robin Hood in a child-friendly manner. My four year old, although he doesn't understand all the witty asides in the cartoon strip story, really enjoys listening to the story. It helps to answer the million questions he asks me about Robin Hood, although it throws up new ones too!
The story is presented in short chapters which makes it easy to dip in and out of, and the pictures have a wealth of detail which are good fun to sift through. Even my two-year old has been spotted looking through it on her own.
I think this book is probably aimed at older kids, but I would recommend it for anyone interested in Robin Hood. I am not actually very interested in him, but I still enjoy reading the book (just as well, as I have to read it every day!).
on 29 June 2008
My 5 year old son was given this book for Christmas along with a Robin Hood outfit. He loves to be read the stories over and over again and is equally happy to sit and flick through the pages for himself, them being full of quirky little illustrations - hes always able to spot something hes not noticed before.I feel this series of books by Marcia Williams are very well suited to boys (or girls) who may be find it hard to sit and listen to a story without plenty of illustration, as they are kept engaged by the colourful and detailed pictures filling every page. My son has now requested others in the series, so thats why I'nm on here shopping for more by Marcia Williams - what a great way to educate our youngsters on the great myths, legends, inventors etc etc.
on 18 September 2010
This is a well illustrated book of the kind that keeps children engaged. It uses a relatively large vocabulary which would be appropiate of older children for example jilted vexatious and admonishing. The story does not shy away from the more grusome scenes which the reader should be prepared for such as a potential hanging and blinding with hot irons. Nevetheless an excellent book dependent on the age of the child
on 7 May 2008
I agree with the two previous reviewers. An ideal rendering of these stories for young children with a butch Maid Marian and a porker of a Friar Tuck. The usual Williams technique of comic-strip narrative and the characters commenting on the action through witty and humorous speech bubbles.

Lovely colour, especially the use of many shades of green.

Perfect introduction for young children.
on 14 February 2010
As a teacher, this cartoon version of the Robin Hood legends has been equally useful in Literacy and Art, supporting understanding of the text with the beautifully expressive pictures. We are now making a series of textile panels, one for each legend, and the cartoons have been invaluable as a visual stimuli to help the kids get their heads around how to transform words into pictures. An excellent resource, beautifully presented! I will always check for a Marcia Williams cartoon book whenever I'm looking for resources in the future.
on 10 January 2013
My children all love Marcia Williams' books. My daughter (7) especially loves the Shakespeare comedies and my younger son (4) adores this Robin book. We also have the Arthur and Greek Myths ones - which he also likes. For anyone who's not familiar with her work, she turns classic English (and other) tales into comic-book form, with funny pictures. The text is simple, so the wonder of the plot is able to shine forth - aided by the pictures. This Robin book is full of archery contests, justice, love and sadness - a great package!
Eleven chapters of pure brilliance explaining the story of Robin Hood. Quick writings telling the story of the pictures very well. Marcia Williams is the chosen writer of this excellent tale retold beautifully.
on 1 April 2014
my four year old grandson loves this cleverly illustrated book even though it is printed in 'comic strip' style. i was unsure at first how he would take to this different format but he really enjoys studying the pictures and finds some new detail he hadn't noticed before every time he looks through it.
i can recommend it to children of all ages.
on 3 October 2013
I love the book but I paid for next day delivery - a huge amount of money but it failed to arrive on time very disappointed and annoyed because the listing said it would arrive the next day, but once I had paid for it they then said it might not. I think this is awful I wouldn't have bought it from them if i'd know this before I paid for it.
on 29 March 2015
I wanted to tell my 5 year old grandson the tales of Robin Hood. This book served my purpose with its cartoon strips and quirky illustrations. Although there was a few words that needed explaining to him, he remembered their meaning on a second read. E.G, outlaw and debt. He loves this book but not one he could read to himself just yet.