on 17 October 2013
My 15 year old son was completely gripped by this book, finishing it in 2 days, he was not even tempted to go on his computer until he had finished it -most unusual -he really enjoyed it, so much so that I read it too and was also glued to it, couldn't put it down until I had finished. Highly recommended. A great Christmas present to tear teenage boys away from their computer games ( & mums too)
on 14 October 2013
Russian Roulette is Yassen Gregorovich's moment in the spotlight. Despite playing an integral role in Alex Rider's life and career as a reluctant spy, as a top notch international assassin Gregorovich has remained largely a man of mystery. While clues as to his past and his relationship with the Rider family have been found throughout the series, it is in Russian Roulette that Anthony Horowitz finally pieces everything together for curious readers. Beginning with Gregorovich receiving the order to kill Alex Rider, the book then turns back time to his youth and lets him narrate how he went from regular kid to notorious killer. Russian Roulette is a thrilling, action-packed journey through the life of Yassen Gregorovitch and is a really exciting read. There's plenty of danger, escapades and explosions but there's also considerable soul-searching and some much anticipated answers to questions about Gregorovitch's motivation.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2014
I haven't read this book personally as it was bought by me as a Christmas gift for my son. He has read all of the previous books in this series and really enjoyed them. It is always a concern that the next book in a series won't live up to the previous standard.
My son loved this book. He said that it was as good as the earlier books in the series. As he spent a couple of days curled up in corners reading this in preference to other things I must conclude that it held his interest very successfully.
on 28 September 2013
As described by AH, this is the long awaited prequel to the Alex Rider series.

The book focuses more on a major character rather than Alex Rider but no doubt will still be enjoyed by AR fans.

I should point out that I would advise that parents should exercise slight caution before giving the book to children who are under 13 due to the content - it may be wise for parents to read through the book first and decide if it's right for younger readers - but otherwise the book is fine for a general audience. Despite this, in my opinion there's nothing which would suggest it should be for adults only since Anthony Horowitz is a well known children's author.

This is a great read and the content shouldn't be too much of a problem for any established Alex Rider fans, so I'm happy to give it 5 stars.
on 28 June 2014
This is not my view but that of my son. I bought it for him - as a reluctant 11-year-old reader, I am always keen to find books he will read. He has always loved Alex Rider books - the combination of action, pace, heroics and dare devilry has kept him reading despite the books' length, and this was no exception. Anthony Horowitz has done a marvellous job at creating a hero and stories that keep my son hooked. Thanks!
on 31 March 2015
Great book, arrived in great condition, 5 stars all round! Another Horowitz masterpiece~
on 15 September 2013
I have to say that it's difficult to rate this book. I averaged the two ratings I would have given it and ended up with three stars. If it were a stand-alone novel, I would have given it 4, maybe 4.5 stars. It was interesting to find out how an innocent boy of fourteen could end up becoming one of the world's deadliest assassins. However, this is supposed to be a part of the Alex Rider series, and in that respect, I would have only given it two stars: it simply doesn't fit in with the background set out in the prior books.

I don't like spoilers, so won't get too specific, but I assume the reader is familiar with Yassen from Stormbreaker, Eagle Strike, Scorpia, and Snakehead. In this book, Yassen and John Rider's relationship and their time with Scorpia simply isn't in sync with the other books, especially with Snakehead and the story Alex's godfather Ash tells about Malta.

In fact, Malta is completely ignored in this book. I've made allowances in the past with the other books when a few small details don't match up between them, but this one I can't. Mdina is such an integral part of canon. Yassen and John are supposed to be partners, all the way until their assignment in Malta 'goes bad'. It's the motive behind Ash's actions in Snakehead, the motive in Eagle Strike for Yassen telling Alex about Scorpia in the first place. It makes the chapter 'Power Plus' in this book simply difficult to accept.

As a fan of the series, I was disappointed with how this book turned out. I really wanted to like it because it was well written. It started out strong, but failed for me in the end.
on 13 March 2016
if you want a book that would grip you from the first page this it. absolutly it:D i've read them all their amazingly addictive THEIR AMAZING BILLY HEAR THAT no billy the pancakes are allgone....BILLY DONT EAT DA FABULOUS BOOK YES RUSSIAN ROULLETE yes bad billy anb back to the book FABULOUS:D
on 2 January 2014
About a boy named Yassen living in suburban Russia until one day a disaster. He escapes to moscow living on 70 rubles. He goes from a village boy to contract killer. I would recommend this book to an action lover
on 29 May 2015
it was so interesting . I thought it would be like the retst but it was completely different . I loved the twist to the series. Overall I thought it was good and hooking