‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book by Marcia Williams., 20 Oct 2009
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
This is a fascinating book for all children of about 8 years & older. I bought it for all my grandchildren aged from 8 to 11 along with the equally wonderful Archie's War by the same author. It has been read avidly by their teachers & their grandparents (for whom it brought back many memories). The format of cartoon style drawings, flaps, envelopes, letters & photos as well as Flossie's great sense of humour & determination keep children & adults enthralled.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different viewpoint, 1 Feb 2009
I. Kerr "bookworm" (edinburgh,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
My daughter Jennifer,aged 11, thoroughly enjoyed the book. She took it everywhere with her and loved the fact she could dip in and out of it.
It captured her imagination and lots of questions were asked particularly as her class were learning about WW2. I would recommend this book whole heartedly-I have been reading it myself.It is very good for children who will not easily read 'books' but do enjoy little stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars very appealing to young readers, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
I bought this for my nine year old daughter. The "handmade" look of the book, the text in childish handwriting, all the little items tucked away in the book made it very engaging and appealing to her. While she appreciated that it was fiction, all these things, added to the quality of the writing, enabled her to really enter into the child's eye view of the second world war, where the domestic issues loomed large in daily life yet they were often reminded of the bigger and more frightening aspects of the conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!!!, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
I got this for my birthday and I love it to bits! It has de-coding, lift the flap, and i learnt loads :)

5.0 out of 5 stars History comes alive, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
Bought 2 for my 9 year old son and his friend. They already have Archie's War by same author which they had read and loved. They are both captivated by the sense of a personal experience of war and also that this book is linked to the last as Flossie is Archie's daughter. Very clever mix of words and 'pretend' artefacts etc. Would highly recommend both books.
Archie's War

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
The most beautiful book ideal for all ages. It gave a very true-to-life account of life for a young child during World War Two, whilst at the same time all presented in an exciting and exquisite way.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
I have not had time to look at it closely but from first glance impressions it looks very useful. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 29 Mar 2011
C. Evans (Ipswich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
This book is perfect for girls(probably) who love to imagine themselves back in former times. In this case it's WW2 but if they have enjoyed victorian or other periods they'll like this. If the child is into diaries and personal stories mixed in with some cheeky humour they will love it. Most of the pages have little pockets and flaps and envelopes with top secret written on them. You feel like you have been allowed into the heroine's world, a place where no one else has gone. Secrets galore and a child's eye view of the world. Lots of use of fonts that look like a child's handwriting all round the text. It shares something with Jackie Wilson books. My daughter is nine and a good reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 22 Jan 2011
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
My 8 year old daughter loves this book very much. It is full of sketches and letters and has taught her so much about WWII including lots of little details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for young and old alike, 20 Jan 2010
BrommerD (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright (Hardcover)
I've bought 4 copies of this now. Originally for my 10-year-old daughter at Christmas (she has been learning about WWII at school) but then several copies for her to give to friends for birthday presents. If, like me, you have parents who were evacuated during the war they will find this book fascinating. My mother-in-law picks my daughter up once a week and drops her off home. She would request this book from my daughter the minute she got in the house. In the end she borrowed my daughter's copy to have more time to read it. She was evacuated twice (many children were evacuated before the war really got going and had returned home by the time evacuation was a real necessity) and for her it brings back all sorts of memories and she verifies it's authenticity completely.

The other thing I would comment on is just how rich this book is. There are lots of inserts glued into the pages so reading it is part concentration and part exploration. Again excellent for holding the attention of children. It's a bit like a scrapbook in some respects. I have to say I am amazed that you can get so much book for so little money. It really is a treasure. Buy one for your children and buy another for anyone who lived through the wartime period.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright
My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright by Marcia Williams (Hardcover - 3 Nov 2008)
9.09