on 4 May 2007
I read this with a Y8 class over a few lessons and they were hooked from the start. Although it's short, it's perfect for 10 minutes at the end of a lesson or as a short class reader for a few lessons. The girls were not convinced to begin with but with some speculation throughout the first chapter they became intrigued.

The plot is great - think Cluedo set on an Island. The characters are all funny with something endearing about all of them. The children were left guessing right up to the end which made it worth while.

A lovely cost effective book that was just right!
on 27 October 2006
Probably the best Horowitz story I have ever read.

He is my favourite author and always has been. The way he can include horror into a very funny story emphasises his ability to write in different styles and creates appreciative writing styles for different audiences.

This Diamond brother story is the best in the series. The brothers travel to a claustrophobic island where murders are taking place, but no one knows who is doing the.

The story is very exciting because of the mystery surrounding the plot. No one knows what is happening, creating great tension and mysterious things keep taking place. The use of Tim's pathetic self with terrible humour allows heavy chuckles when reading.

The cleverness of Nick is great as Horowitz writes from his point of view, allowing us an inside into his clever detective mind.

The murder conventions are great and captivate the genre brilliantly. The clues leading up to a brilliant conclusion are very well throughout out and engage the readers to thin for themselves about who the murderer really is.

The setting is also very well described and adds to an already tense plot.

A short story with exciting scenes, mystery and suspense running throughout, comedy, and intriguing character add up to one of the most exciting mysterious books I have ever read.
on 8 March 2007
This is a realy entertaining book. It is very funny and has many grusome murders! It should appeal to anyone who likes detective stories, young and old. It is always easy to pick up and read and is never boring. The only reason it got four stars was because it is really quite short. But for £1 you can't go wrong!
on 23 January 2014
I read this book to my year 3 class in Southampton. We chose this book because we felt it would appeal to boy readers and it was also short - only 80 pages. This made it perfect for keeping the children's attention and creating learning tasks based on the story.

But what did the children think...

"It was mind-blowing. It was awesome because it was creepy and shocking, whilst being funny and interesting."

"The book did make me have a few bad dreams because it had a lot of people being killed in it but I am pleased that we finished it because I now feel a lot better about it."

"Tim is my favourite character because he takes baths with plastic ducks, does silly things and is generally quite stupid."

"I want to go to the library and get it out so that I can read it again."

The children really enjoyed the book, even though it was a bit scary at times for them. As teachers, we edited what we read to them slightly so as to cut out some of the more gruesome parts - even though nothing in the book is too graphic.
As a class, we would recommend this book for children in year 4 (8-9 year olds) and older. There are some year 3 children though who would really enjoy this book though.
on 19 December 2010
This is a brilliant book filled with danger, excitement and cliffhangers! it is short but filled with lots of adventure, it is not for the faint-hearted as there are some gruesome murders! It is very cleverly written and is wrapped up brilliantly. I would recommend this book for about 9+ (I am 11). It is highly addictive and you won't be able to put it down!
Another amazing book by Anthony Horowitz.
on 29 May 2009
I put fab for BOY readers simply because by son is a reluctant 10 year old reader (as opposed to my bookworm daughter) and he devoured this book and all the other books in this collection. it is a detective book with the main character being a 13 year old boy, full of funny moments and easy to read, so is perfect for KS2 primary school kids.
on 29 May 2012
This book is called I know what you did last Wednesday. It is about 2 boys called tim and nick. who get invited to a school reunion from one of there old friends who is the rich one and owns his own island called crocodile island because it is in the shape of a crocodile. When they get there they realise that there is no one about the house so they go looking for the owner of the house whose name is Rory McDougal. So they do find him in his room DEAD.
They were all shocked from this. There were 7 people on the island there was only 1 person from the school not there his name was Johnny Nadler. During there visit they all die except the two brothers tim and nick then they notice that everyone who died had come first in something at school and that is what they got killed with something from each of those subjects. so then tim and nick were at a cliff at the end of a cliff then Johnny turned up and he was going to kill tim with needels at the bottom of the cliff but then one of the people whp he thought was dead turned up and shopved nadler away and he got knocked out and they took him back to scotland mainland and he got aressted.

i thought that it was a really good book and would like to read more anthony horowitz books in the future. i also think that this books would appeal to teenage boys more than girls
on 19 September 2008
I would give this book 5 start because its a good mystery book and it fits other genres like horror and Crime.There is nothing i could improve.Evreything is amazing.The book is not too short and not too long.The story line is fabulous aswell.The book fits the Horror genre because of all of the killing and the suprises.It also fits crime because of all the killing happening again and again without knowing who did the crime.I would recomend this book to ages older than 9 years old and people who like Horror books.
on 10 August 2013
I read this book before I passed to my children of 9 and 7 years old who were very much engrossed into it and loved it.
This classic detective story plot reminded me a lot of agatha christy stories. The guests are trapped on the island and are killed one by one. There are a lot of humour in the book which makes this story particularly attractive.
When I read it, I thought what a standard and simple plot, how easy it is to write a bestseller. But in reality it's probably not that easy.
on 11 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book mainly because of the plot it was so unexpected for all the events to happen but there were lots of clues along the way. I would recommend this book to children of the age of 10-15 and maybe some adults who enjoy detective books. Although this book is very short about 89 pages it is still full of a lot of excitement and thrills. When I first read this book I was about 9 and I didn't really understand it but I kept on reading it and I understood what it was all about.