5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any fresher
I went to uni with "How to Boil an Egg", a hand-me-down from my older brother. I, like my older brother, used this book for 5 minutes and then ate pasta, tinned tuna and pesto for the remainder of my degree only really discovering the 'oven' after graduation.

Published on 12 Sept. 2008 by RB

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this a cookbook for the average student? I don't think so.
On the one hand I applaud anyone who tries to communicate - against the huge commercial tide of the food manufacturing giants - that cooking from scratch is generally cheaper, healthier, tastier and more enjoyable than buying processed food, ready-meals and takeaways. So I was pre-disposed to like this book. (Bought for my son when he went to uni).

On the other...
Published 1 hour ago by Looking Glass

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any fresher, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget (Paperback)

My older brother and I have just bought this book for our younger brother who is off to uni in October. I like Sam's easy writing style especially when applied to more testing recipes. This book's legend is particularly useful not only stating how many each recipe feeds (from 1 to 12) and whether or not it's vegetarian but going that step further telling you how quick each recipe is to make and most importantly an approximate gauge of how expensive the recipe is (skint/average/flush).

With any luck our brother will leave uni healthy, knowing how to cook properly and without a mountain of debt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sam stern student cookbook, 1 Mar. 2010
A Kid's Review
I have be interested in cooking so mum thought she would by me this book. we've had a lot of fun making & baking & making mistake's! but its great, easy to follow instuctions and nice pictures too. mum's getting me ready so when i leave home ill be independent and able to cope. enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes, tasty food, 25 Oct. 2008
J. M. thompson "Jess" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
Im no longer a student but probably a worse cook than most. Felt the need to master the basics, so decided to get a cookbook. This one appealed to me as it was a user friendly size, had good pictures and was aimed at the right level ie. beginner aiming to progress on to bigger fancier things.
I have already tried out some of the recipes with success and i am glad to report that i have baked my first ever cake with this book, which even impressed my cynical boyfriend (who is not usually a fan of my cooking abilities.) I look forward to trying more recipes and mastering more dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all ages., 3 Oct. 2008
T. North - See all my reviews
Although I am no longer a student, I heartily recommend it to would-be cooks of all ages. I have a toddler and we have enjoyed making several of the recipes together, especially the cinnamon jam buns. The idea of cooking on a budget should appeal to families and students alike. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to student cooking, 8 Sept. 2008
This is a brilliant new book. I have the other books in the series by Sam Stern which are all good. But this is by far the best one. The recipes are simple and tasty but also offer something for the more accomplished cook. The lay out is great, clearly stating the preparation times, number of people and difficulty etc. Great pictures and the perfect size to fit in any students bag on the way back to University. More than that any kitchen should have it. A definite must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Stern wins again !, 13 Sept. 2009
Jane Tinsdeall "kitchengnome" (Lancaster,UK) - See all my reviews
Great cookbook from a very talented young man. I bought this copy for myself as my son is taking the first one I bought to Uni. Chicken Ramen has now become a family favourite.

Thanks Sam, more please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book from Sam Stern, 13 Sept. 2008
Both my family and I use the other three Sam Stern books so much that I pre-ordered this before it was released. It has not disappointed - this is a stylishly presented book with an impressive range of recipes for all abilities and budgets. Sam is writing for students but don't let you put that off if you are not a student. There are recipes in here for everyone - whether you are studying, working or at home with the family. And in the current economic climate, the helpful key indicating the expense of each recipe will help you entertain or cook for your family without bankrupting yourself! In summary, a lovely looking book full of recipes that will get you and your family into the kitchen. As Gordon Ramsay says on the cover, don't enter the kitchen without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top new book from Sam Stern!, 23 Nov. 2008
Kevin Pearson (Leeds, west Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is great value because it is jam-packed with tonnes of new recipes of all different kinds, with the added bonus not only for students but for anyone right now is that it helps you to keep within a budget.

My favourite Sam Stern book up to now was 'real food real fast' but this is definately up there with it, mainly for the volume of recipes- you could never run out of ideas even when watching the pennies with this book around!

The new handy size almost makes it an easy book to use- esp for those such as me (and most likely many students!) who have very small kitchens.

Buy it- not only for students or teens, for anyone who wants to cook good fresh food with limited funds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital Read !, 18 April 2011
This sam stern book has been so helpful to me it has step to step instructions of what to do and when !! I would recommend this to anyone whether an experienced cook or a beginner it is a vital read and had givedn me so much inspiration !x

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Buddig Chefs, 11 Jun. 2009
Mrs. P. Mann (Kent, in England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my son for his birthday.
He loves cooking and wanted to learn more about how to experiment.
This book is a great starting point for any budding chef.
Great book to buy and makes a great gift too.

Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget
Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget by Susan Stern (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2008)