5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any fresher
I went to uni with "How to Boil an Egg", a hand-me-down from my older brother. I, like my older brother, used this book for 5 minutes and then ate pasta, tinned tuna and pesto for the remainder of my degree only really discovering the 'oven' after graduation.

Published on 12 Sept. 2008 by RB

On the one hand I applaud anyone who tries to communicate - against the huge commercial tide of the food manufacturing giants - that cooking from scratch is generally cheaper, healthier, tastier and more enjoyable than buying processed food, ready-meals and takeaways. So I was pre-disposed to like this book. (Bought for my son when he went to uni).

On the other...
Published 1 month ago by Looking Glass

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any fresher, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget (Paperback)

My older brother and I have just bought this book for our younger brother who is off to uni in October. I like Sam's easy writing style especially when applied to more testing recipes. This book's legend is particularly useful not only stating how many each recipe feeds (from 1 to 12) and whether or not it's vegetarian but going that step further telling you how quick each recipe is to make and most importantly an approximate gauge of how expensive the recipe is (skint/average/flush).

With any luck our brother will leave uni healthy, knowing how to cook properly and without a mountain of debt!

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to student cooking, 8 Sept. 2008
This is a brilliant new book. I have the other books in the series by Sam Stern which are all good. But this is by far the best one. The recipes are simple and tasty but also offer something for the more accomplished cook. The lay out is great, clearly stating the preparation times, number of people and difficulty etc. Great pictures and the perfect size to fit in any students bag on the way back to University. More than that any kitchen should have it. A definite must.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this a cookbook for the average student? I don't think so., 21 April 2015

On the other hand, when read objectively, without my rose-tinted foodie-specs on, I actually found the book fairly unhelpful for the audience at which it is supposedly aimed. If you're a parent thinking of buying this, I'd urge you to take a close look at it `in the flesh' before you purchase - and to be honest with yourself about how many of the dishes your teenager is really likely to try when they're away from home for the first time, living on a meagre budget, cooking in a small ill-equipped kitchen that they share with 4/5/6/7 other students, with one oven, one fridge, one hob, and limited prep/storage space... it's a lovely fantasy that they will all bond and decide to pool resources and share ingredients / the cooking, but what are the realistic chances of that happening? Slim, I reckon.

In the preface to the `Store Cupboard' ingredient list, Sam rather patronisingly comments that you shouldn't "rush out and get it in one" (as if any student would do that, the complete list would cost a couple of hundred pounds if not more!). His list makes no distinction between `must-have basics' and `as you need them/can afford them'. He directs readers to "Use it as a checklist before you go shopping" but again, that's a pointless instruction - an average student's shopping list is based on what they're planning to eat for the next one/two/three days, not on a long wish-list of theoretically desirable ingredients. Four types of vinegar? Five types of oil? Four types of rice? Four types of lentils? Four types of flour? Three types of dried paprika? Really not helpful for a student. Even if they aspired to use/could afford to use all these ingredients, where on earth are they supposed to store this stuff as they accumulate it? I'm an experienced / reasonably adventurous home cook with a large kitchen and plenty of storage space at my disposal, and even I don't have all those things!

On top of that, lots of the ingredients included are simply too expensive for the average student. Much as we might hope our little darlings will choose to spend a big chunk of their student loan on gorgeous fresh ingredients from farmers markets and artesan food shops, again, the reality is sadly somewhat different for most. Fennel, salmon, fresh herbs, steak, pine nuts, Parmesan, tahini, fresh raspberries, duck breast, etc, etc... lovely ingredients, but not in the realm of most student budgets (and try finding them in the campus shop or the local convenience store, the only realistic everyday shopping options for lots of first-year students!). Far too may of the recipes fall into the category of `pricey treats' or `if you love cooking' or `special occasion'. Most students just need a storehouse of simple, nutritious, low-cost recipes for one person. Flicking through, I estimate less than a quarter of Sam's recipes are for one person - he does indicate where extra portions can be frozen or eaten cold next day, but the fridge/freezer space is going to be a problem in most student kitchens. There are a few useful tips in the book, to be fair, but also a load of impractical ones - beach fishing anyone? (because SO many UK unis are located near a beach and SO many students possess fishing tackle...) Growing tomatoes and herbs in a window box? (he suggests grow-your-own basil makes homemade pesto "well cheap". Any idea how many plants you'd need to cultivate to reap the amount needed for one small jar of pesto? More than even the most motivated student has room for, that's for sure!) Growing potatoes in an old tyre on the doorstep? (growing yr own potatoes is actually more expensive than most supermarket spuds!). Investing in a food blender/muffin tins/griddle pan/pestle and mortar etc? (Sam does note that these are "next league" items, not essentials, but then three out of the first six recipes in the book require one of these items!)

Scrutinising the recipes further, many examples further illustrate how out of touch Sam is with the average student, even one who can cook quite well, eg, `DIY Cream Cheese' - because every student has a muslin cloth to hand, right? Homemade chicken liver pate - really?? I could go on and on, literally page by page, pointing out what's wrong with the recipes from a student point of view. But hopefully you get the gist.

The reason I can go through the book page by page to write this review is that my son (who these days mostly cooks from scratch, thanks to Jamie Oliver, BBC Good Food/Good Housekeeping websites and his girlfriend) returned his copy to me after two years at uni. Mea culpa, I bought it for him based on the reviews, the attractive design, and if I'm honest, a large dollop of guilt that I hadn't done a better job of teaching him to cook while he lived at home! He sheepishly admitted that he'd found the book next to useless and had only ever tried two recipes from it. Says it all really. This book is more of a comfort purchase for anxious parents like me than it is a practical guide for the vast majority of students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital Read !, 18 April 2011
This sam stern book has been so helpful to me it has step to step instructions of what to do and when !! I would recommend this to anyone whether an experienced cook or a beginner it is a vital read and had givedn me so much inspiration !x

5.0 out of 5 stars STUDENT COOKBOOK, 2 Nov. 2009
It just shows you - even though we may be old there are good things to be learnt from the younger generation. This book is easy to understand and full of common sense. I have adopted and use regularly many of the receipes in this excellent book. You don't have to be a student to be busy, short of time and money. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who likes good, no nonsense food that is value for money, easy to prepare that impresses!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not even a student but I love this cookbook!, 21 Mar. 2013
When money's tight, this book is fantastic as the recipes are so simple and tasty... purchase with Sam Stern's other book 'Cooking Up A Storm' for some other lovely dishes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, 29 Aug. 2012
Mr. M. N. Kelly "martinnkelly" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This has some fantastic new cooking ideas for me, and I really enjoy reading it. Thanks Sam, and keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all ages., 3 Oct. 2008
T. North - See all my reviews
Although I am no longer a student, I heartily recommend it to would-be cooks of all ages. I have a toddler and we have enjoyed making several of the recipes together, especially the cinnamon jam buns. The idea of cooking on a budget should appeal to families and students alike. A great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes, tasty food, 25 Oct. 2008
J. M. thompson "Jess" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
Im no longer a student but probably a worse cook than most. Felt the need to master the basics, so decided to get a cookbook. This one appealed to me as it was a user friendly size, had good pictures and was aimed at the right level ie. beginner aiming to progress on to bigger fancier things.
I have already tried out some of the recipes with success and i am glad to report that i have baked my first ever cake with this book, which even impressed my cynical boyfriend (who is not usually a fan of my cooking abilities.) I look forward to trying more recipes and mastering more dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bopok review, 9 Nov. 2010
E. Turner - See all my reviews
My daughter bought this before going off to uni, it was so good that we bought a copy aourselves.

Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget
Sam Stern's Student Cookbook: Survive in Style on a Budget by Susan Stern (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2008)