4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed
OK embarrassingly enough I am 31 years old but I love these books & love getting immersed into the world of the shadowhunters. Great escapisim. About to purchase the next 3 books!
Published 13 months ago by SamLam

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it BUT....
I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed by "City of Ashes" and believe me, I really REALLY wanted to love it. I'll explain why I found it disappointing in places but first of all, here's why it's still worth a read:

Published 23 months ago by N. J. H.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it BUT...., 26 Aug 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2) (Paperback)

I enjoyed City of Bones. It was pretty gripping, the characters are unique and interesting in their own right and the world Cassandra Clare creates is wonderful and unlike any other. City of Ashes picks up right where COB left off. Remember how Valentine (the evil genius that he is) breaks the news that Clary (our fire-haired leading lady) and Jace (our handsome shadowhunter with a touch of a bad temper) are brother and sister. Now that was a twist I'll never forget but it also was quite sad and I was desperate to see where that would go - would they fight their feelings for each other? Would it be revealed that they aren't really related? So reading COA was a must.

Valentine this time around is on the hunt. Not for his children Jace and Clary but for the Mortal Instruments. With the belief that the three instruments will allow him to create a demon army to destroy the Clave and return the world to it's supposedly rightful order (not to mention the obliteration of downworlders). So as you can imagine the gang HAVE to stop him, and part of the reason is that Valentine needs the blood of a select few individuals, And these few are pretty close to our main characters.

The thing I liked the most about COA actually wasn't the storyline as a whole but more the relationship between Jace and Valentine and the internal struggles, and complete unpredictability, of Jace. It's made pretty apparent that although Jace disagrees with his father's actions, he just can't resist being close to him. Jace clearly wants to know his father and we do see the little boy in Jace that misses his father and that guiltily wants a relationship. I really felt for Jace and I felt that Cassandra Clare tackled his issues really nicely such that I was completely immersed in their story and nobody elses.

I also liked the character building in this book. Clare seems to have a knack of creating wonderfully intricate and frustratingly likeable characters (both in their good and bad qualities). I was actually pretty surprised by how well she continued to build on them, particularly Alec, Magnus Bane and the Lightwood family as a whole. I felt I learnt a lot more about their heritage and how their minds work which was nice, and refreshing for a middle book.

BUT, the problem is, that's where the good points stop because the storyline was just so chewy (forgetting Jace and Valentine's relationship). What I mean by that is, the more I read the more I found myself measuring how much further there was to go - basically trying to work out how long before something happened! I do like that Cassandra Clare drops hints now and then, and those hints do keep me reading, but that's about all that did because it was just such hard work to read. I'm not sure if it's because she's too descriptive as other readers have said because, having read her prequels to this series first, I really loved those and they were especially descriptive. What I think it is is, the relationship between Clary and Jace fell a bit flat. We're all so deflated by the revelation that they are related and nothing is really being cleared up about that. Our questions aren't being answered and we're being forced to accept that what could have been an interesting romance just sort of fizzled out. Of course, that could all change, we don't know, but it's just so frustrating that sometimes I want to throw the book at the wall!

Additionally, the hints I mention her dropping sometimes frustrate me too. I'd love for her to drop hints early on in the book which we slowly get the answers to throughout the remainder of the book but I feel like we wait, move on to the next book in the hopes that we'll get the answer and we still don't get it! A lot of her "hints" just get brushed under the carpet or forgotten as a character interrupts the scene and never mentioned again. I just think that's the area I wish she's change up a little bit.

So, in all honesty it hasn't wowed me. I really did want to love it because her Infernal Devices series (a prequel to this one set in the same world but a different time altogether) is absolutely amazing! It surpasses this series by a mile to be honest. Despite this, I do like this series but I just can't get hooked to it and I spend so much time persuading myself not to throw it at the wall that I forget how much I like her writing.

I do recommend the series. The world is beautiful, the characters are especially interesting and the plot is pretty unique - it's just a little hard going so I definitely recommend reading the Infernal Devices series first!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed, 20 Jun 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 8 Nov 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2) (Paperback)
City of Ashes is the second book in the Mortal Instruments series. It picks up just after the events of the first book, City of Bones.

Having learnt the truth of her heritage, and that the boy she's fallen for is actually her brother, Clary struggles to keep positive and moving forward. Her mom is in a coma with little chance of recovery, her best friend wants more than she can give, her brother (Jace) is going off the deep end having discovered the truth about his heritage (and Clary may be the only one who can reach him), facing the Inquisitor (a Shadowhunter who seems to have a personal interest in destroying Jace). And, oh yeah, all hell is breaking loose (literally) as Valentine, her father, tries to create a war that will destroy all underworlders, and anyone else who gets in the way, including his kids. Creating the war means recovering the rest of the Mortal Instruments, and turning them to his own dark uses, something Clary, Jace and the rest of the team will do anything to stop.

Like Bones, Ashes is told in third person, but although most of the book is still Clary's 'perspective' there is a lot from Jace's as well, and a few other characters. The different perspectives help to tell the story pretty well, giving a good look at various aspects of the world. This second book sees Clary and Jace discovering still more about their heritage and the introduction of several new characters adds to the world nicely.

There are time though, where the plot felt a little sluggish. And there is also the odd word that feels like the authors picked up the thesaurus to add more interesting words or something, instead of the normally simple narrative, which doesn't work particularly well. On the plus side, despite the aforementioned occasional sluggishness, the plot felt a little tighter than the first book. And the simple narrative works to create a book that's a bit of a lighter read (despite the length) or just easier for young teens to get on with.

There aren't many real surprises here. Most of the things that happen you can see coming a ways off, the 'subtle' hints really aren't. And the things that are more of a surprise as to what actually happens, you knew something was going to happen, so the impact isn't so big. There was one moment that really surprised me. Near the very end there is a conversation that takes place that shows real maturity and reality, surprising and impressing me. The lack of surprises do take a little away from the books, but overall I still enjoyed the book. There is a lot of foreshadowing for the next books, though of course I need to read it to find out if it really is or not, but I'd be more surprised if it wasn't. The series may not be fantastic, but it makes for good lighter reading and I still enjoyed the book, though not quite as much as the first for some reason. Still worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments 2) - Cassandra Clare, 5 Sep 2012
Review: This book felt like a bit of a placeholder book really. I was hoping that there would be more resolution and progression of the characters and storylines but they didn't seem to move on hugely from the end of the first book. It was entertaining enough and left me wanting to read the next book to find out what happens but it didn't really hold up as a stand alone book.

Favourite character: Clary Fray

Quote: "There's no need to clarify my finger snap," said Magnus. "The implication was clear in the snap itself."

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writing, a little too much detail., 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2) (Paperback)
Like the first book, I enjoyed this and I thought it was very well written. I think that there were more points in this book where I felt intrigued - especially the situation with Simon's change in form. However, due to the complexity of the conflicts and all the events that were occuring, I did begin to get lose focus... there just seemed to be nearly too much going on. However, I do think it's a very good piece of literature and I admire Clare's work and imagination. I can't fault the book but rather myself, as I couldn't really concentrate on all of the details all of the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 27 Jun 2014
realy good book reading the next one now hope it is as good as the first it is good so far

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Jun 2014
If i could go back in time i would love to so that i could read this again. FANTASTIC novel. Dont waste time! read read read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 26 Jun 2014
The book arrived on time. I would recommend the seller to anyone as I had no problems. I enjoyed the book

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading., 23 Jun 2014
I found City of Ashes a good read, I gave it 3 out of 5 simply because it didn't have me not wanting to put it down. The story is good, much better than was put on screen in the first film, still trying to see where certain elements of the plot are going and will read the 3rd book no doubt

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2) (Paperback)
there was a few wear and tear marks on this book, but that was expected to to the low price, and that it was second hand - it was definitely readable! Good delivery time, thanks

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2)
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 7 July 2008)
3.50