5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!
If book can give hang-overs then City of Bones can give the best and worst kind of it. Best, because I'm completely intoxicated with this book; and the worst - because I am utterly and completely going insane over it! This is one hell of a book. It's simply superb!

Published on 10 Aug. 2010 by Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf

3.0 out of 5 stars A Study In Contrasts
This is a strange book, a study in contrasts. And it's one I've been thinking a lot about how I'll write this review.

Published on 18 Aug. 2007 by euphbass

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 10 Aug. 2010
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)

I think I am one of the remaining few still new to Cassandra Claire's Mortal Instruments series. I regret not reading City of Bones sooner, as it turned out to not only exceed all my expectations, but gave me a thrill that I had not quite experienced since the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books! I will probably inevitably repeat all the gushing reviews given to this book, but there's no way around it. It's just that good.

City of Bones stars Clary Fray, an ordinary girl who discovers a world beyond any she knew existed. In the Shadow world, prominent figures include demons, warlocks, witches, werewolves, vampires, shadowhunters and a certain Jace Wayland. The author's description of this world is impeccable. In rich and with great detail, strong imagery and letter-perfect writing, City of Bones just lures the reader into its world. Clary's adventure I don't often wish I belong to a book world, but I certainly did with this one.

Clary is an amazingly strong heroine. I love her perseverance and her will to fight, her selfless concern for others and even her sarcasm. She's a fiesty heroine, one I totally cheered on. She handles trials with grace and is firm in her stand. Secondary characters are not less note-worthy. They are colourful and their vibrance give this book life. Isabel for instance, is as just as tough as Clary - I really adore her. Alec, Simon, Luke, Hodge - the variety of characters is amazing. All of them are fully-developed and important in their own rights. And of course, I think this review would be incomplete if I don't mention how hot the heroes are. I love both Simon and Jace, but damn. Jace Wayland? Yes please.

City of Bones has the markings of a great classic and so much more. It's exhilarating, intoxicating and every bit gripping. Expect a whole lot of suspense, tension, thrill, drama, you name it! There were twists in every corner, new characters to delight readers, adventures that would give anyone an adrenaline rush and a romance that will leave you gaping. As more secrets are uncovered, more truths laid bare and more of the Shadow World discovered, the more this book hooks you. It was slightly draining to read as it really engages the reader; I felt as if I was in one adventure myself!

And the ending? The bomb. The profanities the flew out of my mouth after I found out the great revelation was unbelievable. Like I can wait a second for City of Ashes?

3.0 out of 5 stars A Study In Contrasts, 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)

It's clearly aimed at mid-teen age, mostly girls. I believe the author started out in fan-fiction, but this is her first published novel, and is set to be one of three in a trilogy. It is very much a cross between Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl, with a pinch of Buffy The Vampire Slayer thrown in for good measure.

I have good and bad things to say about this book. I think I'll start with the bad and get it out the way.

My first comment is that the book is not very well written in parts, although it gets a bit better as it progresses. The first thing that jumped out at me was the use (particularly early in the book) of very cheesy and/or odd metaphors and similes, which reminded me of something one would write in English at school where the teacher has tried to get you to use various similes and metaphors just for the sake of it. They jarred every time, which was unfortunate. For example:

"He turned to follow her, tasting the phantom sizzle of her death on his lips." [pg. 11]

"A small flower of apprehension began to open inside her chest." [pg. 13]

These sort of things crop up not infrequently, more so in the earlier sections of the book.

My second negative point is that there are occasionally inconsistencies from one paragraph to the next, things I would have expected an editor to pick up right away. For example, there's one instance where the sound of someone's heels are described as clacking on a polished wooden floor, but in the next paragraph the person is described as wearing old hiking boots. In another situation, a knife is held to someone's back where it can easily piece their heart, but in the next paragraph it is described how the blade nicks the skin on their throat. These small continuity errors crop up not infrequently.

My third and final negative point is the derivative nature of certain plot and background elements. To my mind, there are some striking similarities to Harry Potter (I won't go into detail here, to avoid spoilers).

But enough of the negative. I have some positive comments too.

Firstly, the book is very addictive. I don't know how or why, but it's something I've noticed with fanfic writing as well (although I admit I've read very little), and perhaps this is not coincidental, since I hear the author comes from a strong fanfic background. I wish I could put my finger on what causes this addictiveness. It's very easy reading - perhaps that's part of it. It requires little or not mental effort, much like a "disengage brain" blockbuster film. The characters and story were bouncing off the inside of my head for about an hour after I went to bed every time I read it last thing at night, wanting to know what happened next, thinking over what had passed. Very annoying, actually, when I'm trying to sleep!

Secondly, the author writes romantic scenes very well, another trait I believe is particularly noticeable in fanfic (perhaps because that is the point of a lot of it...)

Thirdly, there are quite a few decent plot twists that I didn't see coming. It was not a straightforward story in that respect I enjoyed that aspect of it. It is well rounded off, but also well set up for the following two books in the series.

So overall, I'd say with this book you get the good with the bad. The writing quality is not in the same league as most published novels I've read, but it does improve throughout the book. Aspects of the plot are derivative of already existing material, but it is very enjoyable nonetheless, and quite addictive. The world the author has created is interesting and fun to explore.

I don't know if I'll read later books in the series. I won't buy them, but I may borrow them if someone offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars OH.MY.GOD, 15 May 2015
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)
I'm in the biggest reading slump because of this book. Ive heard great things about the 'City of Bones' but OH.MY.GOD. I wasn't prepared for it to be so good and enjoyable. Ive been wanting to read 'The Mortal Instruments' series for ages now and I honestly don't know why I waited so long to start it.

COB starts off with an normal fifteen year old girl named Clary Fray. She lives in New York City with her mum Jocelyn and as most teenage girls, Clary gets into an argument with her mum. Being in a mood about not wanting to move she heads out with her best friend Simon and decides to go to a nightclub which ends up changing her life forever. In the nightclub we are introduced to three more characters, one of them being Jace Wayland and thats when all the drama starts.

When I first started COB I thought I wasn't going to like it as it started off a bit slow for me but after the 3rd chapter I was hooked, oh gosh was I hooked. I needed to know all about Clary and find out who and what Jace was. It defiantly became a page turner, so much that I read it in a day and a half.

Cassandra Clare has defiantly become one of my favourite authors now. The way she manages to explain the scenes and the world she is creating makes me feel like I'm actually there fighting alongside Clary and Jace. I would defiantly like to fight alongside Jace. OH.MY.GOD. Jace is just perfect, can I have a Jace for my birthday please???

Throughout the book you can tell that there is an obvious attraction between Clary and Jace. Half of the time I was shouting at the book for them to be together but that damn Simon is always in the way. I actually really love Simon he makes me laugh all the time with his little comebacks but there was parts where I did really want to punch him, but I guess thats because I love Jace so much.

COB ends on the most horrible cliffhanger for me. I need to read the rest of the series as soon as possible because I need to find out what happens.

As I have said the book did start off slow for me and if this has happened to you, then you need to just carry on reading because it does get better. It gets a hell of a lot better.

I have already bought the whole series so I will be starting the second book tonight. Why are you still reading this go buy the book already... wait you might as well go buy the whole series while your at it because you will not want to wait to read the next one.

oh and one last note if you have watch the movie and love it then you need to read the book because it explains so much more then the movie and you get to learn a lot more about the characters.

well I'm off to start 'City of Ashes'

Book Rating: 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable...just., 18 Feb. 2013
This is a hard review for me to write because I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy & I noticed that many people who reviewed the first hunger games slated it for copying Battle Royale. I didn't understand why they disliked it so much for that sole reasom. NOW I do...

City of Bones is not awful, but it's also not great. It is Buffy/Harry Potter, with the main character relationships ripped straight from the original Star Wars trilogy. Being a huge Star Wars fan, I feel this is the main reason I didn't enjoy the book as much as I could of. All the characters seem to be lacking depth at times except one - Simon. For me, he is by far the most relatable character, & as such, it's good that he gets his 'hero' moment.

As I read through the book, I kept waiting for it to really grab my attention. This doesn't happen until near the end when the Shadowhunters fight the Greater Demon, & by the time you read the final showdown with Valentine, the emotional depth just isn't there & you feel like this could just be a bad Jerry Springer style talk show.

As I say, the book is readable, with the odd genuine piece of humour, and the characters being just about engaging enough for me to download the sample of book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Mar. 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)
Clary Fray's life changes forever after going to a nightclub one evening and sees a boy murder another - who's body disappears. Then when her mother disappears, and she finds a monster in her house, Clary is thrown into a world of demons and Shadow Hunters, those who hunt them. Everything she knows is turned upside down, and with the return of th Shadow Hunter's worst enemy, Valentine, and the search to find an ancient relic of great power, the Mortal Cup, before he does, Clary discovers she is more than just an average girl.

I've seen reviews for the Mortal Instruments series for a fair while, and thought I would give City of Bones a go even though it didn't really appeal to me. This book has been sitting in my TBR pie for a few months now, and finally made my way to it. And you know what? I so wish I picked this up sooner!

As I hand write this review (I'm on holiday, and can't get to a computer right now), I've literally jus finished City of Bone and I am BUZZING! There aren't really any words I am capable of using right now to describe how good it is, but the fact that I feel the urge to shout and scream and jump about should give you the idea. City of Bones is that good! Someone pass me City of Ashes now!

It may sound odd, but this book reminds me of Doctor Who's tardis in a way; you know how it's bigger on the inside? Well it's kind of opposite with this book. City of Bones is a fair sized book at 442 pages, and the font is fairly small, yet it was such a quick read! And although a lot happens, it looks like I should have at least half the book still to read. My point is, I thought I'd be reading this book for quite a while (I'm not the fastest reader going), and that it may be a little tedious, but it took just two days, and was so exciting. I got through the book much faster than I thought possible for me - while on holiday!

The storyline at it's very, very basic isn't all that original; a group of teenagers fighting against an evil adult antagonist, one of said teenagers finding their life isn't what they thought. Sound familiar? Of course it does, you could apply this to any number of YA novels out right now, but this is just the bare bones of the novel. It's the meat of the book that makes this book so fantastic, and stand out from the rest!

Like the characters for example. Clary herself is awesome, funny, and strong when she's forced to be, but she is fairly ordinary as a person that any girl could relate to her. The other characters are also amazing! Jace, one of the Shadow Hunters, with his golden angelic good looks, arrogance and humour make him irresistible, even if he is a git at times; Simon, Clary's best friend, the most hilarious nerd I've ever seen read, you just wantto give him a big hug; Isabelle, another Shadow Hunter, beautiful and a right cow, and her brother Alec, just as good looking, but not the nicest bloke around. All of these characters and their individual sub-plots intertwine and ovelap with th main thread to creae a brilliant, and at times beautifully heartbreaking, story.

There are so many romantic threads weaving through this book, you're continually switching back and forth over who you're rooting for. The action in City of Bones is incredible, ad it really gets the heart pumping and the adrenalin rushing. Definitely edge-of-your-seat stuff. Simply amazing!

This book has jumped right up there with my favourites! Anyone who is umming and ahhing about reading this book like I was, stop hesitating and pick it up now. You won't reget it! I'll leave you with an image that should seal the deal: beautiful, gorgeous Jace, with a cocky smile, sitting astride a flying motorbike. Oh my.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have been great if I had been 20 years younger., 9 Jan. 2013
Having read the great reviews on here, I decided to jump on this, as the trailer for the movie that is being released in August 2013 looks absolutely amazing.

This book started off quite well. I liked the nightclub scene, and I quickly started to connect with Jace. He is a strong, likable character, but... that's a far as it went.

I respect the fact that the heroine is only 15 and as a 30-something reader, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to connect - unfortunately, that was precisely what happened.

However, I can appreciate that some elements of this book are really good. It has great descriptive narrative and dialogue that flows well, but as an avid paranmormal reader it's obvious to me now that the more 'adult' orientated books are my poison. I got spoilt with the likes of JR Ward and Nalini Singh, to ever contemplate going back to YA in the para spectrum.

I guess the part that did it was when the best friend got turned into a rat who was then rat-knapped by vampiric bikers - I just had to stop. I gave up at 52% which is almost unheard of. BUT, like I said... I just couldn't connect. If I had read this 10-15 years ago, maybe I would have felt different, but as it stands, it's just wasn't the book for me.

I just wish I could have embraced that inner child of mine, but she decided not to come out and play on this occasion.

From what I can tell though, Cassandra Clare has written a well received and much loved series, and I'm kind of sad that I didn't feel it, like many other readers have. But, I will keep it on my kindle in the hope that my Daughter reads it when she comes of a more appropriate age.

4.0 out of 5 stars BOOK REVIEW: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, 20 Sept. 2014
City of Bones, written by Cassandra Clare, is a book with a twist. It has demons, heroes, heroines and mythical creatures. Sure, it is set in the same town as Percy Jackson but this world has been wonderfully created with some brilliant, different ideas on how to draw in the reader into Clare's novel. City of Bones is one beast of a book. And I do not mean by page size or any of that stuff, but I mean by the plot line and how the reader reacted to certain twists. This novel is action packed which, would make you spit out your popcourn/drink or any other food. Everything about this book screams "READ ME AND LOVE ME OTHERWISE I WILL STAB YOU WITH A SERAPH BLADE!" This book doesn't feel like the words have been put there because the author wanted to write a smash hit, but this book feels like that Clare wanted to write this book for a certain reason. Now, I don't know what this reason was but it makes City of Bones work really well.

The characters in Clare's novel have been done perfectly. Even the Institute's cat, Church! (Such a funny name for a cat!) My favourite charater, obviously, has to be Jace because he doesn't seem like a normal male character I usually come across in all of the novels I have read in the past. Jace, at first, seems really hard to like but he really grows in this book. The author makes this character appear in your head in any form you want. My verson is excatly like Jamie Campell-Bower, who played Jace in The Mortal Instruments, City of Bones movie! I loved most of the characters, most Alec and Magnus and I just adore the relationship between the different characters when something happens. I really find it facinating when the author of a book make the characters react in the same way normal people would in certain situations. However, there were some characters that I weren't too sure of because I didn't think they were wrote to a point that I would like them enough. One of the characters I didn't like was Clary. I just didn't like her attitude in the book and she didn't seem as if she really belonged to the novel.

In City of Bones, the plot was amazing! The characters really flowed in well and the scenes changed nicely. I thought that each of the chapters linked with each other so you could remember what was happening. Clare has included so many mythical creatures in this novel, I have lost count and there is so much wit in this book! There are so many shocking parts in this plot; espcially towards the end which suddenly makes you want to read the next book. (City of Ashes.) Throughout the whole novel, I was trying to guess what would happen next. I was always wrong. But that is the beauty of this book! You will guess that one thing will happen and then Clare would come in sneakily and do the unexpected! City of Bones is a must read book!

To conclude, City of Bones was a really good novel and it is worth reading. Apart from a few things that wern't up to my expectations, I did enjoy this book! City of Bones is the first novel in the outstanding The Mortal Instuments series which is set years into the future after The Infernal Devices. There are six books in the series and my reviews will come soon! (City of Ashes and City of Glass are due to come this October!) DFTBA!

5.0 out of 5 stars The debut of a new world, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)
A great and interesting books. I manages to combine the infulences from many of top fictional series of our time. It combines hidden magic world of Harry Potter, the teenage drama of Buffy, and a couple of themes from Star Wars as well. The book is very well written and fast paces.

We follow Clary Fray, a 15 year old misfit trying to find heself, not quite sure if she is goth, cyberpunk, or just a temperamental teenaged artist. One night in the local club, Pandemonium, she realises she is a witness to an attack, the strange thing is that the victim of the attack disappeared right before her eyes, and when security arrives, despite the attackers standing right in front of them, she is the only one who can see them.

Clary descovers she is part of the world of Shadow Hunters and demons. Shadow Hunters are demon slayers. She learns stories of Vampires and Warewolves are more truth than fiction. She is attracted to Jace the most accomplished of this group of hunters. Much to the chagrin of her best friend Simon, and Jaces' hunter brother Alex.

She learns years ago a charasamitic, powerful, and high ranking Shadow Hunter, called Valentine created his own circle to cleanse the world of all demonic blood. Weather they were good or bad, their existence was enough of a crime. He was ruthless to the point he was willing to sacrifice anyone and anything human or demon as calateral damage. Now after 17 years Valentine has seemingly returned from the dead to finish what he started. Clary must learn of the ways of the shadow hunters if she is help her friends stop Valentine.

Great story, good drama, the characters are ok, the only failing I found in the book were the fight scenes. I think these are not the writer's strongest area yet. All in all a great book, not as action packed as I expected but the story makes up for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Clockwork Angel first!, 21 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)
I actually came across this series a little back to front. I picked up Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series (the prequel to this series which she actually wrote afterwards) and absolutely loved it. The characters, aside from one minor character and a cat, don't crop up again so it didn't spoil the story for me. BUT, I'm actually glad I read the Infernal Devices series first because I liked it a lot more than this one and if I'd have read City of Bones first I might have been tempted not to read the other series and would have missed out. For that reason, if you're new to Cassandra Clare definitely read the Infernal Devices series before this one.

With that said, I really enjoyed this book despite it not quite matching up to her other work and this is for a number of reasons. The first has got to be the brilliant characterisation. She's just a magician when it comes to creating characters; characters who each appear to be unique, interesting and frustrating all at the same time. Clary is our main character (accompanied by her best friend Simon most of the time), and after an unfortunate run-in at a night club she comes across Shadow-Hunters (demon-slaying nephilim with runes tattooed across their skin). Which leads me nicely onto the shadow-hunter characters. Are lead three are Jace, Alec and Isabelle (Alec's siter), all of which are really well developed. Jace is fantastic. He's moody, arrogant and sarcastic (I know, not usually a likeable character but trust me, he's wonderfully written and a total heart-throb). Isabelle and Alec are similarly rude occassionally with argumentative streaks but it really does make me for fantastic reading.

But the characters are only the tip of the iceberg with Cassandra Clare's writing. Her ability to build worlds is like no other I have come across. A number of readers have commented on how reading these books made them feel like they were right there with Clary and Jace fighting off the bad guys and I think the main reason for this is that it's written in such a way that everything seems so real and you truly do get sucked in.

However, there are a few negatives. The first of which is that the first half of the book is a touch slow (particularly in comparison to her other books) and there's a lot of world-building and getting used to the characters and how the different Downworlders (magical-folk, like werewolves, the fey and vampires - yes, we get all of our favourites in one book!) exist and their relationships with one another. Additionally, as much as I really loved the hint at a love triangle and the impossibly frustrating almost-but-not-quite romance between Clary and Jace I really felt disheartened with the ending of the story and their resultant relationship (I can't say anymore without giving the game away). I'm all for starcrossed lovers that can't or won't be together but gosh, that really was sad. Having said that, it will definitely make for interesting reading in the next few books and I can't wait to see how/if it will be sorted out.

Overall, a fantastic read from Cassandra Clare but I really cannot recommend reading the prequels first because this writer is definitely worth your time, she just may not have shown it quite as well with City of Bones as she has done with her prequels. I'll definitely be perservering with this series though and I'm so excited to see what will happen next!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 (Paperback)
I found the book fascinating, i loved the whole story line.
I was never really into teen fantasy but after reading this I am addicted.
I adore Clary and Jace's connection and must admit am abit jealous, over all very enjoyable.

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1 by Cassandra Clare (Paperback - 2 July 2007)