on 11 February 2009
I'm a foster carer and bought this book on recommendation to help my current foster child learn more about her body and how families are different. It's a very good book for dipping in and out of, with clear information presented in a very child-friendly way. The illustrations are fun and encourage discussion. I'd recommend this book to anyone who works with children. Definitely well worth having on the shelf!
on 17 March 2014
I love this book. I bought Amazing You (a bit more basic and vague on the details but still good) several months ago and my son really enjoyed that but recently started asking further questions about *precisely* how the mechanics work and why the sexes are different. I have to admit that I thought I might have a couple more years before having to explain in more detail (he's only 4) but I very much believe that you need to give a child honest answers to these questions otherwise I think they worry and pick up incorrect and potentially scary information from elsewhere. This book gives all the details in a fun, approachable and yet sensible way with good illustrations. One thing I love about this over other books is that it actually shows the outside of a girl's genitals so that my son could see what was going on there (one of the questions that he was asking a lot). Other books seem to show the outside and inside of boys but only the inside parts of girls, which I think is a bit confusing. I like that there are different chapters, so you can either read through the whole thing together, pick particular topics that your child is asking about, or skip parts that you don't think they're quite ready for. There are lots of funny bits on the book too - there are two little characters who make comments and the part where it explains what babies do in their Mummy's tummies (kick, hit, burp) had my son in hysterics. I would certainly recommend this book to all parents, I think it's informative and makes a tricky subject very approachable.
on 9 June 2014
Just what I was looking for, a clear informative book suitable for an inquisitive eight year old. There is enough information to cover all the basic facts. The book does not go into details about the menstrual cycle, but there is enough information to start a conversation about it should you wish to.
on 10 January 2010
This book was bought for my two girls aged 5 and 8. Easy to read very nice pictures both the girls love it and find it easy to dip in and out of for information.
on 7 February 2009
I bought this for my two year old son who is already asking some very awkward questions! Although I wouldn't say the entire book is suitable for him at this stage (we only tend to look at a few of the pages at the moment) I can see it being used more and more as he grows. Great illustrations, no-nonsense information and a sense of humour. Very easy to follow, I probably learned a lot as well!

Edit 14/05/2010 - my son is now six years old and we still come back to this book. My daughter is three and she loves looking at the pictures of the pregnant lady and dog, which helped to clarify why my friend had a baby in her tummy (my daughter honestly thought she had eaten the baby...). A brilliant resource, straight forward and practical.
on 10 May 2011
Used it to different degrees with my 7 and 9 year olds. Excellent illustrations and age appropriate explanations. Highly recommend this
on 19 September 2015
I bought this to read with my nearly 9 year old son. Once I'd peeled him off the floor after the first few pages (I actually thought he was going to wet himself laughing at the names of the more intimate body parts!!), he found it really interesting and informative. The cartoons and illustrations help to keep the tone light, whilst the content is straightforward and age appropriate. I spent a lot of time trawling through reviews before settling on this book, and feel it was a good choice for my son.
on 10 May 2012
I bought this in conjunction with Claire Rayner's, The Body Book - partly because that's the book I remember from my childhood and also because it deals with a wider range of body issues in excellent, child-friendly detail. However, it's the Let's Talk book that grabbed my 6 year old's attention. He loves the Bird and Bee characters and has been fascinated to learn about where babies come from. He had been asking questions about his body and this was just a really useful tool to help me explain things.
As an adoptive parent, I also love the fact that the book acknowledges so beautifully that there are all different types of family and talks about emotional issues around friendship and growing up.
A fun book for him and a useful one for us. I'm sure we'll keep coming back to it as he gets older too. Would definitely recommend.
UPDATE: A little while on and this is still his first book of choice, especially when reading alone.
on 5 March 2016
Love this book and so do my girls. It covers all the topics in good amount of detail (for younger children). Even covers masturbation which a lot of these types of books don't. I want my children to know that it's a normal part of life and this book delivers. Great section on 'touching' and what is and isn't appropriate. I enjoyed reading this to my children and I was happy to discuss it with them. Highly recommended from this Mum!
on 22 October 2015
I brought this as my 3year old granddaughter has started to ask questions about how a baby is made. I found the book very helpful, it has very good illustrations which helped. The text of the book is written so that the whole process of growing up, puberty, and sex is covered using simple language which all children will understand.