The French Confection (Diamond Brothers) (Diamond Brothers)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£4.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 8 April 2005
The french confection is another 'diamond brothers' adventure. It is a short, funny and sharp 70 page book that is fast-paced and with a rather straight foward plot.
I think that this is one of the most funny 'diamond brothers' book yet as it combines quick pace, funny jokes and realistic (but hard to believe) moves and tricks to get away from a certain drug selling organization.
This is shorter but funnier than the falcons malteser, and much better than another short 'diamond brothers' adventure, the blurred man, which was interesting to start with, but was too short.
on 5 October 2006
Horowitz is one of my favourite authors mainly because of his ability to write in-depth and construct some marvellous plots into his books and this Diamond Brother adventure further emphasises his brilliance.

Another fast flowing Diamond brother's story follows the brothers to France as they get caught up in a web of trouble.

There are many conventional action scenes encoded along with mysterious happenings which reflect the crime underworld as the brothers use their knowledge to their best advantage to solve a tricky case.

This story maybe not as strong as some other Diamond adventures e.g. Public enemy number two but nevertheless it is very humours and exciting to.

The story is told in the first person through the smarter of the Brother Nick's mind. This is a very good technique as Horowitz guides readers through events in in-depth detail and there are many digs at the French and his brother in this novel. There are also some drug related issues which to me shows that Horowitz is preaching to the child audience to show that they should stay away from drug and the description of what they can do to you is not very nice.

Through the use of questions Horowitz engages the reader into the story and is simply beautifully written.

The use of the dumb brother juxtaposed with the smart brother creates a valuable detective unit as they look to solve yet another problem.

It is designed for children but I believe it can be read by anyone, it is enjoyment in around 80 pages, a simple read for any age.

With fast flowing dialogue, mystery and suspense it is brilliance from Horowitz again and I definitely recommend this book if you like crime, humour and mystery.

8/10
on 27 October 2009
This little story is a goodie, it left me wanting more of the same. If this does not inspire boys to read more, then nothing will.

For me, one of the best aspects of this and other works by Anthony Horowitz is the authenticity of the locations and the background detail. "The French Confection" describes a journey on Eurostar from the old Waterloo terminus: I have made this journey myself, and the train does indeed move off without any warning and passengers often do not notice anything. This story could be used as a guidebook to certain areas in Paris. The return journey is by ferry and the Diamond Brothers go downstairs to order fish & chips. I have done this myself a few times, it is a way of saying "I'm home" I think.

The authenticity of the background is balanced by the incredibility of the boys' adventure: such things could never happen in real life, but I suppose that the intended readers still think that they could. The characters are mostly the same old stereotype villans, the Diamond Brothers are their usual selves. Tim seems like a small boy, and Nick is more like a long-suffering father than the younger brother. I found myself getting annoyed with Tim for being such an idiot and I wondered how Nick could stand it, but this is an indication that I took the story seriously. I did enjoy the episode where Nick is under the influence of drugs and sees some bizarre things.

"The French Confection" has a personal relevance. I first read this story a few days after I had missed going to Paris for the day via Eurostar: I wasted the tickets because I did not feel well. I had actually planned to explore the Marais district. I can't decide whether I should thank Antony Horowiz for giving me a second chance to take the journey, or feel paranoid because of the timing and bear him a grudge because he wrote about a painful subject. On balance, I think that my misfortune made me pay closer attention to the story than I might otherwise have done, and made me enjoy it all the more.
on 9 September 2002
These are two more of the brilliant 'Diamond Brothers' stories and both definately must reads!
With more hilarious parts and even more stupidity from Tim, Public Enemy Number Two is a brilliant book. Nick goes on a school trip and ends up in jail, Tim tries to drive and everything goes horribly wrong (again) and Nick has to sort it out (without blowing up his brother), Snape and Boyle end up in hospital and Tim is more concerned about a vase than his own life!
The French Confection all starts off with a strawberry yoghurt and ends up with a walking eiffel tower and sinking cheese. Tim and Nick win a holiday to France and no sooner have they arrived in the french capital something happens which leads them into a comical adventure and a brilliant story.
Comedy, fun, stupidity is all in these hilarious books, Anthony Horowitz is a brilliant author and everyone would enjoy his books.
on 31 December 2013
Groggerumpus fump tour. Blah and I have been emailing me a panda highland park bench and I will follow you if you want me to marry you can I join the best gets a prise the next person to convince them that they are squishy and the wardrobe malfunction to the cider vinegar to the purple sandwich lovers ice cream yogurt fump groggerumpus chuppa sandwichlover here member's information YOU need to create a fan of marshmallow lovers ice age group of the week I had school with me to become the next five people who is i love the next five people to become the club contest starts in a landslide the next person who wants coffee lollipop and a fan we are you sleeping are not donating the next person who wants coins and a cobra to join the club.
on 18 December 2008
The French Confection is a very good book. It is about two men called Tim and Nick. Nick is bit dumb which makes the book quite funny. They both go to Paris for two nights but it does not end up like that. They get caught up with drug dealers. The drug dealers try to get something off them that they want. Tim and Nick end up OK in the end, though. I'm nine years old and I found the book so exciting that I couldn't put it down. (My mum was happy because the book didn't have rude language or too much violence.)
on 21 February 2013
Our son just loves this set of books (age 9 1/2) - though I can't remember which one his favourite is.
The set a great start to heavier crime writing - He's now moved on to "Stormbreaker" by Anthony Horowitz and it's delightful watching him so engrossed. He has made me read one or two of them to be able to share his excitement.
They are very well written and see very age appropriate for him.
Highly recommend
on 16 February 2013
This was the first Diamond Brothers book I read and - though I recommend actually starting at the beginning - this book was a great way to get into the series. Funny, silly, and easy to read, but it still had a brilliantly entertaining mystery plot line.
on 10 January 2015
A good book but slightly lacked description. Lots of action which is good and very recommendable. I enjoyed the chase where Tim and Nick ended up on the roof of a boat passing under a bridge in Paris or in Tim's case through shattered glass.
on 25 December 2014
It only took me a day to read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very simplistic yet packed full of little hints as you could try and solve it yourself- very very enjoyable