5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful storytelling
My daughter is getting bigger and we can start tackling bigger books now. My daughter reads some of the book, and then gets me to read a bit more of it to her. This one is a good start. It is beautifully illustrated, and so the immediate visual impressions are favourable.

Published 13 months ago by Dr. Peter Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars Much too scary
We didn't like this book as it was too scary for both our girls 3 and 5.
It is a shame as the story is still a good one.
Published on 2 Jan. 2012 by J. W. Frost

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful storytelling, 5 Mar. 2014
Dr. Peter Davies (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The writing is just as good as the pictures. Michael Morpurgo has done a superb job in bringing the story to life, and making the characters deeper and more vivid than in briefer retellings of this story.

This is an excellent book, and I think children between 6 and 10 will appreciate it, both for its beuaty, and for the rich characters described within it. Adults will enjoy reading it to their children- which is always a good sign in a children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exquisite Morpurgo novelisation of Hansel and Gretel, 27 Jun. 2014
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It is an utter delight to read this Morpurgo retelling of this famous yet spine-chilling Grimm tale. What I like about this book is that it does not make the story too infantile. Instead Morpurgo expands the story by defining characters and highlighting the dark themes inherent in the story, so adults can enjoy this novel-length version too.

I love the way that Morpourgo brings out the character of the story. It is a direct, fluid, concise retelling that also fleshes out the characters. There are various touches that allow the story to take flight while remaining true to the Grimms. I love how the children are perceptive and proactive when reacting to their various predicaments. I love the way that he conflates the stepmother and the witch into one character. It allows us to see how the stepmother wants to go all out to destroy the children. As such he makes the motives clear to the readers I also love the way that he brings out the terror of this fairy-tale so that it doesn't become too cosy. Morpurgo accentuates the dark themes in this story, for instance, the famine backdrop, the dominance of the wicked stepmother and even the wolves that prowl the forest around Hansel and Gretel. So this allows the reader to share in the experiences with the protagonists.

Morpurgo's words are well-matched by the atmospheric Emma Chichester Clark illustrations. They suit the material very well and draw the reader into the story.

This is, in short, a delectable version of the fairy tale, better than the rehashed picture book retellings of this kind of story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Year 3 book review, 26 Feb. 2010
HANSEL AND GRETEL
Hansel and Gretelis an amazing and incredibly good book,written by a fantastic author called Michal Morpurgo.

This book is about Hensel and Gretel. Hansel and Gretel heard about there mum saying she wans them in the forest! The next day they went to the forest,but secretly, Hansel dropped some pebbles on the way. When thre parents got home, Hensel and Gretel also got back helped by the pebbles. The next time time they went to the forest,Hensel dropped some bread instead. When they were going back all they saw was crumbs of bread layed on the floor and about 10 birds eating bread! Because of that now it was now there job to remember the way to there house. Aftere walking they saw a house made of sweets. Suddenly an old women came out of the house made of sweets. So she said,"Come in children."

The best part of the book was when Hansel dropped the bread but the birds ate it,so it was really adventurous, I also liked the bit when Hansel and Gretel find there way home, because I love happy endings.

Overall, all children in Year 2 children, year 3 children and
Year 1 children would love this book because it's extremely interesting and very fun to read. At some points I felt quite worried because when the birds ate the bread. I give this book a score, and it is 10/10 because adventurous, exciting and absolutly the best book I have read in my life. So that is why 10/10 is the score I chose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful version of a classic, 1 Feb. 2009
Sarah Kettle (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hansel and Gretel (Hardcover)
Gorgeous glittery version of a lovely story. Bought this as a Christmas present for all the little girls I know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Morpurgo Great to have longer version, 19 Mar. 2015
Oops reviews wrong book. Love Morpurgo Great to have longer version. Ch loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Hansel and Gretel (Hardcover)
great item - fast service and great price - many thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery, 2 Jan. 2015
Great item as described and really quick delivery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Much too scary, 2 Jan. 2012
J. W. Frost "Frosty" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hansel and Gretel (Hardcover)
We didn't like this book as it was too scary for both our girls 3 and 5.
It is a shame as the story is still a good one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book but not for younger Children, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Hansel and Gretel (Hardcover)
I bought this book thinking that it would be like the classic story of Hansel and Gretel, which it is, but having two girls aged 6 and 2, it took us 4 days to read which was quite nice, rather than the normal Winnie the Witch books. But unlike winnie there were a few lines in the book i found not to be suitable for my children, it was ok because i just changed some of the words, and to be honest we all enjoyed it.

Hansel and Gretel
Hansel and Gretel by Michael Morpurgo (Hardcover - 1 Sept. 2008)
Used & New from: £2.40