Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 October 2013
I bought this after my 9 year old son got excited over Percy Jackson books, so that he would understand the origin of some of the events in those novels.

This had him (and me) gripped as I read it to him every bedtime over a week. It is beautifully told and exquisitely illustrated on high quality paper. Definitely a book to keep for life, to dip in and out of, reread, leaf through and admire the illustrations years after reading for the first time. An absolute gem.
This book is sheer delight.

I bought it for my eight year old grand-daughter, who has been captivated throughout. It is simply and beautifully written, without a hint of patronising, filled with original and striking illustrations and the episodes are just the right length to hold attention and whet the appetite for what follows. Many an older child, indeed many an adult, would be enchanted by the contents of a book that from beginning to end speaks of quality.

Very highly recommended.
on 13 October 2012
My 9 year old daughter and I are taking turns to read from this beautiful book in the evenings. She is absolutely entranced by the story and is wowed by the illustrations. Definitely one to treasure.
Highly recommended.
on 17 September 2012
All the stories you have heard in a very friendly narrative. Pictures are fantastic!

I would recommend this for kids as young as 6 and probably as old as 13.

It is pretty hard to put down once you get going.
on 26 July 2015
Absolutely wonderful interpretation of the great Odyssey. My grandkids loved it and so did I. Illustrations fabulous.
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2012
Odysseus is the best Greek hero.

If you don't know who he was (and why should you?) and don't want to read the full 'Odyssey of Homer' - he was the cleverest, most ruthless and impressive of all the Greek heroes. And the stories are great.

I can remember reading the Odyssy at school and thinking it was as dull as dishwater - this is'nt dull.

The illustrations are interesting - not eye-poppingly colourful like e.g. the Usborne Book of Greek Myth but take their pallet from Greek Art - muted but gorgeous and I suppose, more educational because of that (not a concern for me).

This has been family bed-time reading for my 9 and 11 year old (yes, the 11 year old is interested) and is suitable for kids a lot below that age too.

Recommended.
on 11 November 2012
I love this version of the story. It is well told and wonderfully realised in the pictures. It really brings it to life as the characters in the pictures are so real.
on 24 December 2012
Wonderful retelling of this clasical myth. An attractive intrduction to Clasical Myths. The illustrations are refreshingly good and reflect the ancient Greek art beautifuly. Nothing lost in the retelling and nothing to patronise the younger reader or indeed the adult who may read it to child or even themselves.
Loved it and know my Grandson will too.
on 5 January 2016