5.0 out of 5 stars A gem to keep for life, 27 Oct 2013
MrsH (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
I bought this after my 9 year old son got excited over Percy Jackson books, so that he would understand the origin of some of the events in those novels.

This had him (and me) gripped as I read it to him every bedtime over a week. It is beautifully told and exquisitely illustrated on high quality paper. Definitely a book to keep for life, to dip in and out of, reread, leaf through and admire the illustrations years after reading for the first time. An absolute gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely - great family reading, 25 Nov 2012
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
Odysseus is the best Greek hero.

If you don't know who he was (and why should you?) and don't want to read the full 'Odyssey of Homer' - he was the cleverest, most ruthless and impressive of all the Greek heroes. And the stories are great.

I can remember reading the Odyssy at school and thinking it was as dull as dishwater - this is'nt dull.

The illustrations are interesting - not eye-poppingly colourful like e.g. the Usborne Book of Greek Myth but take their pallet from Greek Art - muted but gorgeous and I suppose, more educational because of that (not a concern for me).

This has been family bed-time reading for my 9 and 11 year old (yes, the 11 year old is interested) and is suitable for kids a lot below that age too.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favourite book, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
My 9 year old daughter and I are taking turns to read from this beautiful book in the evenings. She is absolutely entranced by the story and is wowed by the illustrations. Definitely one to treasure.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book., 31 Aug 2014
Bluecashmere. (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
This book is sheer delight.

I bought it for my eight year old grand-daughter, who has been captivated throughout. It is simply and beautifully written, without a hint of patronising, filled with original and striking illustrations and the episodes are just the right length to hold attention and whet the appetite for what follows. Many an older child, indeed many an adult, would be enchanted by the contents of a book that from beginning to end speaks of quality.

Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic illustrations, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
I love this version of the story. It is well told and wonderfully realised in the pictures. It really brings it to life as the characters in the pictures are so real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
All the stories you have heard in a very friendly narrative. Pictures are fantastic!

I would recommend this for kids as young as 6 and probably as old as 13.

It is pretty hard to put down once you get going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for children & adults alike, 15 Jan 2013
MrsD (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated and simply written. I am reading it with my daughter who is under 4. I bought it for later but she is insisting on us reading it now. I am not reading the most gory bits (although I don't know why as many fairy tales are pretty gory!) and she loves it.
My plan is for schooling her with a classical education so this book will be a great introduction. She already loved the Orchard book of Greek Myths.
So delighted to find this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfull retelling, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
Wonderful retelling of this clasical myth. An attractive intrduction to Clasical Myths. The illustrations are refreshingly good and reflect the ancient Greek art beautifuly. Nothing lost in the retelling and nothing to patronise the younger reader or indeed the adult who may read it to child or even themselves.
Loved it and know my Grandson will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
This book was realy well produced,nice paper, brilliant illustrations. I bought it for myself not for a child. I would recomend it to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Odyssey (Hardcover)
I can't believe how great this book is. I've never read the full length version, so can't compare, but I bought this for my 5 1/2 year old son for Christmas and we're both gripped. What an incredible story?! And the illustrations are fabulous! There are bits of the story that are really very scary, especially for a 5 1/2 year old, but it is paced such that these bits are usually quickly followed by a few pages of (temporary and short lived) resolution and peace, so you CAN eventually get your kid to sleep. If you can bear to stop reading yourself. Amazing.

The Odyssey
The Odyssey by Gillian Cross (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2012)