4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive
Published on 12 Sep 2008 by G. Knighton

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
Hi guys!!! I was one of the 'inspirational teenagers' (see the Nicola Morgan website) who got to pre-read this book and then promote it. I didn't know what to expect but i'm being honest here i really did enjoy it! I thought the story line was good and i even liked the characters. It would make an excellent christmas present for any child from year 6 to year 10 and there is evn going to be a sequel...which is just lucky!!! This book is really good, no questions asked and i would recomend it to any teenager with a little spare time on their hands, an open mind and a lively imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 12 Jan 2007
Ms. L. Heads "School Librarian" (County Durham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
I am a secondary school librarian and would recommend this book as an essential for all school libraries. Not only have both boys and girls thoroughly enjoyed the book but there is a waiting list for staff to read it too! (A good idea to buy multiple copies)

This historical novel is suitable for year 6+ and could be used as an English class reader and studied alongside the Alfred Noyes' poem, The Highwaymen, as this is the poem that inspired the author to write the book.

I can guarantee it will be enjoyed by all!

4.0 out of 5 stars The highwayman's footsteps, 31 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
The highwayman's footsteps is about highly born William De Lacey running away after his father Sherriff Charles De Lacey insults him,but soon he is attacked by a highwayman who turns out to be a girl.Despite all the facts he still helps her as she is seriously injured.Soon they are plotting to rob his father.Everything in this ook is great except the ending I hope there is a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Highwayman's Footsteps, 6 May 2007
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
An excellent read for both boys and girls alike. The story keeps you gripped from the start.You would think twice before going out onto the Yorkshire moors yourself at night after reading this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Novel, 14 Jun 2008
J. M. Harman - See all my reviews
This is an excellent work of fiction. Nicola Morgan`s use of language is very compelling; in particular her ability with similies is outstanding.
Although it is a fictional work, it is obvious the author has done some serious historical research. In her description of Scarborough for example,one can almost see and smell the atmosphere.

One aspect of the novel is how she accurately depicts the care and affection the highwaymen bestowed upon their horses, since their very lives might depend on these noble animals.

John Harman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 2 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
Hi! I loved this book as it gave me a good veiw into different styles of writing. I love the plot of it as I personally have read the poem of which it is based on. Fantastically written, I cannot wait for the sequal. Another thing is when I wrote into Nicola, I also sent a chapter from a book that I am writing. She gave me good pointers. Anyway, its a fantastic book and you should really give it a go! Hope this helps =]

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner!, 28 April 2014
This story really drew me in. There were lots of exciting, action filled moments and I loved the fact that one of the main characters, Bess, is a girl highwayman! It is well written too. I will have to read some more by this author now! I think all young people who like historical stories with a good plot and lots of exciting moments would like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highwayman's footsteps, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
I am reading this to my year 5/6 class and they are absolutely loving it. It is very detailed and the characters are really explored very early on. Lots of suspense and cliffhangers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Highwayman's Footsteps, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
This is a book well worth reading if you enjoy 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes. Ideally it is suitable for secondary school children although a good Year 5/6 pupil would be able to successfully access it.
The story is about a boy from a wealthy family called William de Lacey who runs away from his family home. While running away he is attacked by a girl highwayman called Bess. He soon realises that she is injured and so he helps her. As the story unfolds, William finds out that his farther is a cruel man who has caused suffering, hardship and death to many people and so with Bess they set out to make amends.
Overall, I found the book was quite an easy read and the shortness of the chapters is a plus point for teenagers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive, 12 Sep 2008
G. Knighton "G Knighton Raftery" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 (Paperback)
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews and on the subject matter. I happen to be quite interested in English highwayman stories, as I live quite close to a famous highwayman's hideout near London. I'm afraid that about halfway through this book, I got that sinking feeling that for me appears when a story moves from being just not very well written to downright poor and disappointing. I was mostly willing to overlook the author's clumsy writing style, but when the plot moved into being a poorly-executed and florid retelling of Alfred Noyes' melodramatic poem 'The Highwayman', I'm afraid I lost patience. There are lots of great juvenile and young adult novels out there. I'm confident that _The Highwayman's Footsteps_ has no place among them. This review gets its two stars for bite-sized chapters, a lovely cover on the edition I wasted my money on, and nice typography.

The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1
The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1 by Nicola Morgan (Paperback - 6 Nov 2006)
6.99