5.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting but a bit sad at the end
(By Christopher aged 7 nearly 8)

I read this book by myself and found it very interesting. I particularly liked the Unicorn Lady and the stories that she read. The end was sad - I didn't like the war. War is never good. I would like to receive another book by Michael Morpurgo for Christmas.
Published on 9 Nov. 2006 by LeBoucher

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy but dull
Published 11 months ago by Isabella's Aunty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting but a bit sad at the end, 9 Nov. 2006
LeBoucher (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
(By Christopher aged 7 nearly 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing to worry about!, 26 Mar. 2009
T. Peters - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
I often worry that books I read with my 7 yr old start happily enough and then include some awful disaster/war/trauma and I wish I'd never started them at bed time! This is no exception BUT having initially thought 'not again' the sad part was succinct and had meaning - great meaning. The text on the pages was short enough for me to ensure I got to a brighter bit before leaving her to sleep and at the end of the book she said 'what a lovely story' - and it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful for all ages, 19 Jun. 2006
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Hardcover)
I use book reviews on Amazon a lot to inform my buying decisions, so I just had to add one for this wonderful, amazing book. I bought this for my 9 year old son who has a reading age of 16 - never an easy combination to buy for as he doesn't enjoy 9-year old themes but older teen books need careful scrutiny before I give them to him. This book is utterly enchanting. It has adult themes of loss and redemption wrapped up in a delightful and safe story for children. Adults will get as much from this book as children - it brought tears to my eyes. Michael Morpurgo never disappoints and if you are new to his books then this is a very good place to start working through his incredible body of fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite michael morpurgo book, 26 Sept. 2006
K. binghan "noahs ark" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Hardcover)
I am 7 and thought this was a brilliant story. I could understand what Ben was feeling like at the beginning when he prefers to play outside than go to the library or go shopping. But when i read about Unicorn Lady I wished I could be on the Unicorn myself listening to the stories too. It was a very sad ending with the bombs burning down the library but I'm happy that the villagers looked after the books and that the unicorn wasnt destroyed

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
I am a mum of an eight year old, a friend recommended this author and I have to say after reading this book I will definately be buying more of his books.

The story is very appealing, it is told by a young boy who doesn't like reading or stories. One day he has to go to the library whilst his mother is shopping and there he discovers the Unicorn. He is drawn into the stories the Unicorn lady tells and soon discovers his love for stories and eventually even telling them himself. It does have a sad undertone expecially when the war comes to the village but is a happy ending. It will make you cry a little or at least get a lump in your throat but a truly brilliant read and one I think everyone should read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy but dull, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
I feel I ought to give this a higher rating as it seems such a worthy book. Unfortunately both my niece and I found it quite dull. I wasn't quite sure what it was trying to achieve. As a book about war or censorship, I'm afraid it was too confusing for my 6 year old niece to understand (why did the soldiers come and burn things in this town?) As a magical story about unicorns, there was no magic; as a story about the love of books, it unfortunately didn't capture our interest. The illustrations are lovely though.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautifully written book, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
I brought this book for my 13yr old daughter who's mad about unicorns. What a beautifully written book...very sentimental. It's a special gift from me to her as she's getting older....I wrote in it "don't stop believing..."

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
A book that imaginary world and reality can work together giving an interesting point of view about the world. Especially good for children with difficult questions about God and other important issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
My 8 year old daughter read this book to me. It is a lovely story which takes quite an unexpected turn. We both enjoyed the story very much and have purchased more books by this author to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 3 Jun. 2013
D. Miller (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Believe in Unicorns (Paperback)
I love this story, the power of stories and books, the importance of community and the devastation of war.....with hope at the end. Definitely worth reading a story for all the family

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I Believe in Unicorns
I Believe in Unicorns by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 4 Sept. 2006)