5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the only way to stop smoking
Published on 13 Nov 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars just stick to the original
damn, this is loooong-winded and with nothing new to add to the original, really.

i told a friend of mine my opinion about this book, he said, he read the original 3 times, and third time he managed to quit. so, there i saved you some money not wasted on this bs.
Published 12 months ago by miz wiz

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the only way to stop smoking, 13 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I read this book with no real intentions of stopping. I'm a born skeptic and read it out of pure curiosty. I am now a non-smoker. Believe me i'm the last person to provide anyone with free advertising but this book truly deserves it, it's fantastic. I would recommend it even if you don't want to give up, just read it and if you're still smoking when you've finished the book you're no worse off than when you first picked it up. It deals with the psychology around smoking, the smoker and society, it totally dispells all the myths you've heard about being hooked on nicotine. Upon reading it you'll probably feel as though the author repeats himself throughout the book albeit using alternative words and phrases, but, it's obviously this repetition and constant 'hammering home' of the stop smoking message that makes this method so effective. The bonus factor is that it teaches you to give up without putting on weight and using substitutes such as patches and gum. Give it a whirl, it really is worth while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to lose ..........................., 18 Oct 2002
By A Customer
I had previously read Mr. Carrs other book (The Easyway to Stop Smoking) and gave up sucessfully for 9 months. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of having one cigarette, that led to another and the another and I found my self smoking again. However, I was still going round pushing the benefits of the book (!), after all, Mr Carr told me that having just 1 more cigarette would mean the cycle would start again. He was right !
After 18 months I read the same book - it didn't work. I had too many negatives, and answers to the questions he posed.
I therefore took the plunge and bought this book. I took about 4 months to read it - lots of chapters & small print, and as other people have mention he does go on a bit, plus the knowledge that once I got to the end I would no longer smoke did not make it compelling reading. In the end I took the book on holiday with me and read it at every chance I could.
Needless to say I had my last cigarette on 20/4/02. Unlike last time I don't have weak moments and even when I do think of smoking (which is not very often) the thoughts are soon banished. I don't intend to start again.
If you value your health (& your pocket), buy the book - you really don't have anything to lose (apart from the small price of the book). You can alway re-sell the book on Amazon if your not impressed, but don't sell it without reading it first.
As an after thought - my boss, my husband, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and too many other people to mention, have all stopped smoking because of Mr. Carr. If he ever reads this, I would like to thank him and shake his hand. !!!! : - )

5.0 out of 5 stars From 40 a day to 0 in 39 chapters., 10 Dec 2002
For less than the price of 2 packets of fags, I am now a happy and contented non smoker, and whats more I know I will be for the rest of my life.
It was a scary thought at first thinking that I would never 'be allowed' to smoke again. Now I just don't need or want to.
Whilst reading this book I thought 'When is this guy going get on with it and press that magic button'. It was a long read and I was getting fed up with my work mates coming in to the smoke room and taking the mickey out of me for smoking whilst reading a book about stopping smoking. If I could have given up at the begining of the book then there would have been no need to buy the book in the first place. Needless to say.
They don't take the mickey anymore.
Buy this book if you have tried stopping in the past using will power or nicotine substitutes and I can guarantee that you will stop this time without being miserable and without needing substitutes.
Allen Carr truly understands everything about nicotine addiction and can help even YOU.
You do not need to read 'The Easyway to stop smoking' as is suggested at the beginning of this book. The method works without it. I am proof of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 16 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I truly believed i could never be free of the craving for cigarettes, I could never envision the day i could do anything which would make me slightly nervous without a cigarette. i could never beleive i could concentrate without a cigarette.Probably, like every other smoker out there, i just couldn't imagine life without a cigarette. Since i read this book, I can't imagine how i ever felt that way! If you think giving up smoking is impossible, read this book, I think it's the only book to truly inform the reader about the reality of smoking.It is easy to stop having read it. That comes from someone who would once be digging around in bin-liners for dog-ends if she did'nt have any cigarettes!! i can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disoriented, 24 Sep 2002
I have stopped smoking after 15 years and am completely disoriented...... I picked up this book 2 weeks ago, read it, closed it, smoked a few cigarettes, thought about it some more and concluded that I really had no desire to ever smoke again. And so now I'm left wondering what I was doing wasting my time smoking for so many years and what to do with all of this new time I have on my hands. It's really quite an unusual feeling this not wanting to smoke and wondering why I ever did. Very strange. Read the book, it's a fascinating experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book to stop you smoking for good!, 3 Aug 2000
Listen guys, If I can do it ANYONE can! Read this book and TRUST it. All the way through I was reading and believing BUT still thinking that I would need patches or something to get through the "terrible withdrawal pangs" I would undoubtedly SUFFER - but there really are no withdrawal pangs. Giving up REALLY IS EASY (and I've been smoking for more years than I care to admit - I am {WAS} "MRS. ADDICTED". I know what you're thinking - I used to think that way too! PLEASE BELIEVE ME AND TRUST IN ALLEN CARR - IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN. I am now a VERY HAPPY, NON-PANGING (?) NON-SMOKER! And I am so much richer too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of pure genius - if only others knew about it., 22 April 2003
P. Wood (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a smoker of 20 a day for 10 years I cannot believe I was able to stop.
I can't believe that this book has not been read by more people or even made available on prescription through the NHS as the way to quit smoking.
Instead, the NHS are giving out the wrong message with their 'Giving Up' campaign. There is nothing to give up, smoking does nothing for you.
Do we, as ex-smokers not persuade those that smoke to read the book because we feel we are being a nuisance.
I can certainly agree with that statement having recently offered the book to one of my friends. They were not interested in the slightest, despite my success they informed me that I was 'doomed to fail' and that it would only be a matter of time before I let my defences down and had a cigarette. It has now been 7 weeks, and I could not possibly comprehend ever smoking again.
Perhaps when Allen comes to reprint the book he could put in a chapter on how to spread the message in a positive way.
It is surely THE most effective way to quit smoking, and once you have realised that the patches, gum and whatever other substitutes that are available offer no help whatsoever, it has to be your last port of call.
As it states in the book, the only way it doesn't work is if you don't fully understand or follow the instructions.
I cannot recommend this strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 Mar 2005
Matt Quinn (Nelson, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What an incredible book. I had tried many times to "give up" smoking. I thought I knew it all and I thought I knew I would never do it.
Unlike many other smokers who claim to enjoy cigarettes, I knew I only smoked because I was "addicted". I just couldn't cope without them so I continued. My world seem to descend into a mad panic without them. I am actually laughing as I write this at how stupid I now see I was.
This book WILL stop you smoking but YOU MUST READ AND UNDERSTAND EVERY WORD. Do not skim through it or skip chapters. It is an absolute "medical" masterpiece and it baffles me why doctors/NHS don't simply tell smokers to read this book, do they have a deal with Nicorette or something?!
He does repeat himself and you sometimes wish he would be more direct. However, when you have finished, and stopped - which you will, you understand why he does it. For it is so cleverly written that I could almost imagine someone actually finishing the book, putting it away thinking nothing had changed, lighting up a cigarette, then another, before suddenly realising "Hang on - I don't want this!"
If you smoke, read this. It will work for you but I know you won't believe that so just read it and carry on afterwards. It's only a few quid - two packets of B&H. Also - you are SUPPOSED to smoke all the way through the book so you don't have to "give up" now. There is a great line in the book where someone says "I want to give up, its just so hard - I wish I could smoke while I was doing it", well this book does just that. By the end of the book you are a non-smoker who is having a cigarette. Using your will power or nici patches etc you will always be a smoker who isn't having a cigarette which is why another other method is so difficult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old AlaLE - Terrible Prose, Awesome message, 14 Jun 2004
By A Customer
Allen Carr isn't even slightly interested in writing a literary masterpiece, he just wants to get his message across as effectively and directly as possible. Sometimes, as you find yourself slightly mesmerised by his use of repetition and (apparent) meandering, you get the impression he's got you on his (virtual) couch and is affecting a long-distance therapy session.
These are his words, pure and direct. I know of no other "guru" whose preachings have been so directly beneficial to the long term health and fitness of the population. This book is a worthy continuation from Easyway and, if you're giving up for the first time or, like me, have recently lapsed and need a good lick up the ass, this is the place to start. More than anything else, it will put you in the frame of mind to not *want* to smoke ever again. Think about that! That's one hell of a feeling and the residual benefits are so wide-ranging you just have to discover them for yourself. Just start with the long-term peace of mind and happines stopping this vile habit will bring to you and your family and take it from there. Every smoker should read this and get a life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works!, 14 Dec 2001
By A Customer
When you read a "self-help" book sometimes it can be hard to gauge just how effective it really is. Well, I read Allen Carr's book exactly a year ago today, and became a non-smoker a year ago today! It works. I want to put this in such a way that you actually do go to the checkout and buy either this book or Allen's other: The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Take your pick, I know people who are now free by reading either book.
I had tried by will power to quit at least twice before and had succeeded on both occassions for 5 months. This had involved a whole lot of craving, and I was totally demoralised after I gave in again. I still knew that I wanted to quit, but resigned myself to having to put up with that ever present wanting and not wanting a cigarette paradox. Fortunately my friend, who I knew was as bad a smoker as me, contacted me to tell me about these books and how he and at least another 4 of my friends had now stopped after reading them. I asked to borrow the book, but he wisely told me to buy it for myself as I would want to keep it.
I bought the book, rolled a cheeky rolly, and sat down to read thinking, "OK Mr Carr let's see what you're made of!" That's the last cigarette I will ever have. Simple as that. The next day was my first day back at work just to test him out that bit more.
With what I have read I don't have that fear of starting smoking, that fear of failure, or any cravings. I know that most people will succeed with this book, and above all finally be happy and secure as a non-smoker.
Buy the book, then send one of those "pass it on E-mails" to tell all your friends.

The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently
The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently by Allen Carr (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)
6.99