Format: PaperbackChange

on 13 October 2013
* ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

This book was previously released back in June 2009 under a Pseudonym of Sylvia Day's - Livia Dare. It's since been re-released in the US on the 24th September 2013 and in the UK.

If you are a regular reader of Sylvia Day you will know what to expect in terms of the sexual content of this book. Like all Sylvia Day books, In The Flesh is HOT! Incredibly sensual, explicit, evocative and utterly addictive.

It is set in a futuristic world in which sex for nothing more than pleasure seems to be a core belief of society.

Concubines are highly thought of and valued and undergo years of training before taking up their positions.

Both sexes can serve and throughout the course of their careers they can achieve great wealth and position in society.

What I struggled with in this world was the fact that rich, powerful men had a harem of women and their wives were basically expected to just deal with it.

The King of Sari is in love with his prized concubine Sapphire and refuses anyone elses bed but hers - including his poor wifes!

Sapphire doesn't reciprocate the Kings feelings, feels sorry for the Queen and basically craves more from her life. She is more than happy when the Queen of Sari - to cut a long story short - has her retired.

Retirement in the life of a concubine - at least a successful one like Sapphire - means wealth, independence - freedom.

Sapphire is a very strong woman. She is loyal to those she cares about and feels an instant affinity for Wulf which she doesn't want to feel on account of him being an enemy prince, thus making anything between them impossible without one - or both - of them losing everything.

Wulfric is commanding, ruthless, slightly arrogant, highly intelligent and sexy as hell!

He knows what he wants and he wants Sapphire.

He is conscious of the possible consequences of pursuing Sapphire but he sets about finding work-arounds so that he can have her.

He lets nothing stand in his way and is the driving force in everything that happens between them.

There is plenty of action to go along with the sex 'n' romance.

Lot's of nice twists and turns. Plenty of intrigue.

Overall it is a really enjoyable read.

My only complaint is that the ending leaves loose ends hanging and I'd expect another book to round them off but considering it was originally published years ago it doesn't look likely to happen... Or maybe the fact it has been republished under Sylvia Day means another book will be forthcoming? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'll be disappointed if there is not.

I guess to sum it up I'd say that it doesn't steal your soul the way the Crossfire books do but it is definitely on par with Day's regency works, so I definitely recommend!

4 out of 5 stars
on 5 December 2013
Im a massive sylvia day fan and have nearly all her books. I love her work and couldnt wait to read this one. I found this book slightly disapointing. It was brilliant in some places and abit drawn out in others, and they seem to tell each other they 'love' and 'own' each other far to many times. I found myself skipping lines!
Not a fave book in my collection.... just didnt seem to have anything new to offer. And katie kinda annoyed me alot.
on 11 December 2013
Well deserved 5 stars, Sylvia Day has done it again. I have read her Crossfire series and also her Georgian/Regency series, and loved them. So reading a futuristic type of book is not normally my ideal. but, having said that I absolutely adored it.
It took me a little while to get into the story, and understand what was happening, what with all the unusual names, I got to chapter 3,then went right back to the beginning and reread it, and it all fell into place. I can't wait for more stories about these two.
on 29 October 2013
This story and plot was really good, a lot of chemistry from the get go with the hero and heroine that worked well, its electric as they struggle to contain their forbidden romance, the pages heat up whenever they are together.

There is plenty of action and twist and turns to keep the story flowing and lots and lots of sex scenes that are very explicit and well written, but i did feel at times it was just a little repetitive.

I got a little bored at the 60% mark with this one and the fantasy element, i think maybe that the futuristic type of story line is maybe not my thing.

This was a good story with lots going on but I didnt seem to be hooked as i am usually with one of my favorite writers stories in hand, crossfire books still rocks my world every time i read them.

If you like a romantic futuristic read with some very steamy explicit sex scenes this book is for you!
I must say the book cover is beautiful.
on 13 January 2014
I have read a lot of Sylvia Day's work but found this one didn't really grab me as much as other books by her. The story was well written and told by both characters yet it seemed to lack more excitement for me. I will no doubt read more of her work but won't be reading this one again.
on 15 January 2015
I've just commented on slyvia days "spellbound" and I'll say the same for this book. I was really disappointed. Having read a few other of her books and immensely enjoyed them I was really looking forward to reading this. I've literally just finished and I'm not bothered that it's over with. Normally I'll get so engrossed in the story I can't put it down and I start hating the nearer the end I was getting. Not so with this one.
Again some things could of been explained instead of you wondering "what the hells a skip, what's a glimb,what's a matrones?"
Although the characters were both strong I just didn't enjoy the chemistry, it was quite bland and lacking.
Again I'll recommend kresley cole, I found one if her books as recommended from reading one if slyvia days and she really outshines any other author I've come across so far.
on 3 November 2013
I was given an advance copy of this book for my honest opinion. In The Flesh, Sylvia Day's romantic forage into science fantasy is deliciously sexy and enticing. I was a bit unsure about what to expect as I began reading this book, but it's another Sylvia Day masterpiece, or should I say "Livia Dare". Katie or Sapphire as she is more widely known, concubine of one king and now lover to Prince Wulfric. Highly trained in combat skills by her father, a general in the King's army, Katie is a seductress and a magnificent warrior. I loved her character. And then there's Prince Wulfric . Mmm another winning male character from Ms. Day. Love the storyline and can't wait to find out what happens next.
on 13 May 2015
Once I started I couldn't stop. Finished within two days and wish I could have made it last longer. Beautifully written characters and a storyline that captured me within seconds.
on 10 June 2013
This was a new style from Sylvia. The same great characters and very descriptive scenes of intimacy and of course...too much use of the word mine and over the top possessiveness and a rush to wed characters off..like that is all we live for. However with that said...I love the escapism and over the topness her books give me for an easy read. The futuristic star wars but roman theme was so interesting and I loved this book and I have read and enjoyed all her others. I hope there is a book two to this story.
on 9 May 2013
I just love Sylvia Day, she can't write a bad book in my eyes. I love all of her books I've bought only have a couple left to get. Really hope she is going to bring out a follow up to this book.