5.0 out of 5 stars On Dublin Street book 2
With an alcoholic, dysfunctional mother and a father who disappeared years ago Jo has been taking care of her family since she was 16 years old. Forced to leave school and get a job just to pay the bills she never had much of a childhood but she is determined life will be better for her younger brother Cole. Everything she does is done in Cole's best interest, even when...
Published on 7 May 2013 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear
I really wanted to like this book as I have read Ms Young's other books and quite enjoyed them.

This book was dull by comparison. At 34% I started to skim read. Halfway through the book, I felt like giving up but I carried on thinking there's got to be something big coming....ermmmm no there wasn't.

To write a book about background characters from a...
Published 15 months ago by Lewlin

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I cried, 7 May 2013
I liked on Dublin street, but I completely love on London road. This book made me cry and laugh it's such a touching book I'll recommend it to all of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the wait!, 8 May 2013
Sam you've gone and done it again! Another wonderful read - read it in a day (well, i finished it with my morning coffee the next morning by 8.30am lol!). Loved the continuity of the characters and the love story between cam and Jo - cant wait for Ellie and Adams story - stroll on June - thank you for such a good read Sam x

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 23 April 2015
Easy to read, good for a bit of escapism

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 14 Nov. 2014
Beautiful story, gripping until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again Samantha You have done an amazing book!!, 10 May 2013
Blog Link: [...]
Title: Down London Road
Author: Samantha Young
Publisher: Penguin Books
Publication Date: 7th May 2013

Johanna Walker is used to taking charge. But she's about to meet someone who will make her lose control. . .
It has always been up to Johanna to care for her family, particularly her younger brother, Cole. With an absent father and a useless mother, she's been making decisions based on what's best for Cole as long as she can remember. She even determines what men to date by how much they can provide for her brother and her, not on whatever sparks may - or may not --fly.

But with Cameron MacCabe, the attraction is undeniable. The sexy new bartender at work gives her butterflies every time she looks at him. And for once, Jo is tempted to put her needs first. Cam is just as obsessed with getting to know Jo, but her walls are too solid to let him get close enough to even try.

Then Cam moves into the flat below Jo's, and their blistering connection becomes impossible to ignore. Especially since Cam is determined to uncover all of Jo's secrets even if it means taking apart her defenses piece by piece.

First of all I need to say a big Thank You to Katie Sheldrake for my review copy of Down London Road.
I adored this so so much just like I did with On Dublin Street, At first I was puzzled as this being in the ODS series I didn't know who Johanna Walker was but once started reading I realised Jo works with Joss or Jocelyn from ODS at Club 39 which made me a little excited because we got to read a bit more Braden and Joss too hehe.

I knew from when I got this book that I was going to love this book just as much as I did with ODS, You can easily warm to all the characters thanks to the way Samantha writes and describes them well. So we meet Johanna Walker or Jo to everyone, is always juggling things in her life one looking after her younger brother Cole and two always working to keep things afloat for her and Cole. With their dad not around and their mum not very useful, Jo has to keep her family together at all costs...but when a new handsome guy called Cam starts work at the club, can Jo stop herself from being very attracted to him or could things go wrong?

I loved this book and it was amazing, It is definitely has plenty of emotion throughout which for any reader will keep you hooked and always to read more and more. It was great to see Joss and Braden back in the book and reading more about them made me very happy indeed, I loved how Johanna & Cole where always invited for family dinner at Braden's mum & dad's house, it just made you understand the closeness between the whole family and how friendly they all are.
At First I couldn't quite warm up to Cam, I thought he came across as a bit of prick and bit big headed but once I started to see Jo and Cam's relationship blossom I thought he was quite a warming guy who would do anything for Jo with all costs although Jo's insecurities were always going to get in the way.
I wasn't a big fan of Jo's dad, he was an utter tool and for him to do that to his daughter was quite sickening.

Five words to describe this book... Laughter, tears, smiles, Amazingness & Emotional

I just urge you all that you are going to love this book just as much I did and I hope to see more of On Dublin Street series, maybe with Ellie and Adam next time ;)
Thank You Samantha Young for being a wonderful author and writing such amazing books that you have all us ladies wooed by the charms of Braden and Cam ;) Keep showing us these handsome men hehe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it..., 9 May 2013
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Down London Road (On Dublin Street 2) (Paperback)
Johanna Walker is a troubled soul; she's fiercely protective of her younger brother, Cole and will do anything she can to provide a stable and loving home for him, including deliberately choosing her romantic attachments to men who can offer her a high degree of stability and material comfort. When she meets the deliciously handsome Cameron, Johanna is determined to fight against the undeniable attraction she feels for him. What then follows is the story of Johanna and Cameron's feisty relationship, which abounds with sexual tension and romantic adventure.

Down London Road reads very easily, the plot is steady and well written and whilst it focuses mainly on the `will they, won't they' aspect of Johanna and Cameron's relationship, the inclusion of well loved characters from On Dublin Street adds a nice blend of continuity and offers a different perspective on Johanna's character and about what motivates her to act in the way she does.

I think that the author has got the balance of story and sexual content levelled just right as neither one attempts to outshine the other. The sexual content is explicit but fits in with the story and the characters, so you never feel like you are reading sexual activity just for the sake of filling up space. I felt a real connection with the characters and loved Johanna's protectiveness towards her younger brother - oh yes, and Cameron is pretty easy to read about too!

Overall, a great read and a worthy follow up to Down London Road. Can't wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An addictive read, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Down London Road (On Dublin Street 2) (Paperback)
Firstly I'd like to thank the publishers for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. This is the sequel to On Dublin Street which I haven't actually read (but have heard some very good things about) and I was a little concerned that I might struggle to keep up without having some previous knowledge of the characters. After reading this I can safely say that not reading the first book didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest BUT it did make me super intrigued about Joss and Braden's history so I will definitely be reading it at some point (I have added it to my wish list).

With a quick introduction to Jo's life I found that I was caught up in the story in no time at all, I immediately liked Jo and sympathised with her situation. When she had an intense experience at an art gallery I couldn't wait to see where it would lead!

I have to confess that I didn't love Cam to begin with so I felt nervous for Jo when I knew she'd have to work with him. He was really quite nasty to her so her reaction to him was very confusing. Not only did she have to contend with Cam at work she also had to contend with her new neighbour, this was a fantastic twist that reeled me into the story even more.

Jo's home life raised a mixture of emotions within me - the relationship she had with her little brother, Cole, was heartwarming and something I particularly enjoyed reading about. The other side of her life involved her alcoholic mum and this brought out some negative emotions in me.

Jo's self-esteem was very low so when her love life heated up I enjoyed seeing her change and relax, becoming more confident in herself. Speaking of her love life, I will warn you that there are some very hot sexual scenes in this book but they felt appropriate and didn't overwhelm the storyline in any way. Her relationship was great to read but a shocking arrival threatened to throw a spanner in the works and I found myself feeling annoyed on Jo's behalf.

Something that I really loved about this book was that it wasn't just about the erotic scenes (although like I said, they were pretty hot) because it also covered serious issues which, in my opinion, gave it depth.

Events towards the end had me on the edge of my seat and I just couldn't stop reading, the writing was fantastic and completely pulled me in - I was on a mission to find out `what happens next'!

This was an addictive read that I would highly recommend, it was an erotic story that had oodles of depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book., 23 July 2014
A good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 12 May 2013
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Books (UK) and Netgalley.)
24-year-old Jo is juggling 2 jobs, a millionaire boyfriend, an alcoholic mother, and a 14-year-old brother, when she meets Cam. They're instantly attracted to one another, but both in relationships, and Cam annoys Jo when he sees her texting her brother and assumes that she is a gold-digger and is cheating on her boyfriend.

The tension between them builds though, and when they both eventually confess their feelings for one another, they decide to dump their current partners and make a go of it.
Can Cam and Jo make it though? Can they both get over the jealously they feel towards each other significant ex's? Can Jo keep her brother safe from her increasingly violent mum? And what does the future hold in store for Cam and Jo?

This was a good contemporary romance, with quite a bit of heat and forbidden longing between the two main characters.

Jo was such a loving character, who always did her best for both her mother and brother. The devotion that Jo felt towards her brother and mother was admirable and she always put them first, even though her mother was often less than loving towards her.
Cam was pretty sexy, and the attraction between the pair was obvious. The tension between the pair built up nicely, and it was nice that they held their feelings for one another back until they had split from their respective partners.
There was some sex in this book, which was a little erotic, but the sex didn't take over the story, and complimented the romance.

I liked the storyline in this book, although I did think the pace was quite slow at times. There was more to the story than just the romance though, and the storylines blended together nicely.
Overall; a good contemporary romance.
7 out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 11 May 2013
I enjoyed the first book, and this carries on in much the same way. It details the ups and downs of a relationship between two headstrong characters. Samantha Young has a very good ear for dialogue and the way the characters speak is both entertaining and enjoyable. If you like some erotic sex scenes then you won't be disappointed, although I did think some went on a bit too long and I found myself skipping forward to find out what happened next. The references to characters in the earlier book helped to widen the scope of this novel, and some familiarity with these characters is assumed but is not essential to your understanding of the story.

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 | Next ›

Down London Road (On Dublin Street 2)
Down London Road (On Dublin Street 2) by Samantha Young (Paperback - 9 May 2013)