Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 October 2013
I had very high hopes for this year's Doctor Who annual as this is the 50th anniversary of the BBC television programme. It is also the 50th anniversary of the Daleks, something that seems to have been overlooked by the people involved with the television programme and its relevant merchandise.
The annual has Matt Smith and the TARDIS on the front cover and all the Doctors on the back cover, which is a nice touch. When you open the annual, you are confronted by the Vortex - nice - but when you look closely, there are two little cartoon figures drawn in. Bizarre, you might think. The contents page is illustrated with a montage of foes, past and present, along with Matt Smith and the TARDIS. And if you look closely, there's another cartoon drawing in the suction cup of the Dalek. What? We are then given an illustrated article, showing the eleven Doctors and a couple of black and white Hartnell photographs, explaining '50 Years of Doctor Who'! Don't get too excited - the article only lasts two pages and there's another pesky cartoon character poking its head round from behind the TARDIS! Yes, it does become irritating. After 'The Doctor's Diary', which introduces Clara, we finally learn the reason behind the cartoon characters and are asked to find fifty of the little 'horrors' hiding throughout the annual. Something to look forward to throughout the annual - great!
References are made to the classic Doctor Who series but the annual is geared to the current season with two illustrated stories and a 2-page text story which took just over a few minutes to read.
The high hopes I had for this year's annual from BBC Children's Books and published by Penguin Books were a little dashed by the annual's contents but it was nice to see references to Doctor Who's history over the past 50 years and so this makes this annual a nice addition to my collection of annuals which began with the first Hartnell annual published by World Distributors in 1964, along with the Dalek annual published the same year. Also, at the price offered by Amazon, it is easily affordable as a stocking filler gift.
on 17 November 2013
I bought this for my 23 year old niece for Christmas as she is a massive Doctor Who fan. I wasn't sure if it was for children or adults as it contains puzzles and games for children. However it does contain a lot of Doctor Who facts so I think it will please all enthusiasts.
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2014
A great present for any Doctor Who fan, I'm sure that is will make a great present for both children and adults alike. It has good comic strips, puzzles and other fun games/activities. It Has lots of key and fun facts about the Doctor. This Dr Who annual should please all aficionados of this enigmatic British Science Fiction series.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 26 February 2014
I haven’t read one of the Doctor Who Annuals before, but thought I’d have a look at this one, given the 50th anniversary.

This was great fun; I can imagine any youngster keen on Doctor Who would have a great time collecting and reading and re-reading these Annuals. There are photo stories, comics, games, informational articles (for example, on the Tardis),excerpts from the Doctor’s diary. Loads of fun.
on 21 October 2013
A good example of a modern Who annual. Written stories and comic strips along with interesting articles in what could be Matt Smiths last Dr Who annual.
on 7 December 2013
My 7 year granddaughter loves Dr WHO. She also loves reading about facts and science and anything to do with space. In fact she loves reading full stop. Watching the Dr is a big treat for her so matching up her likes was an idea. But this annual is so good for any child who loves the dr.
Its a must in fact my 47 year old partner looked at it and said "I'm really quite jealous that she's getting this as a chistmas present" - you see he's a big Dr Who fan too :-)
on 16 October 2013
As with Sheila K Dams, my copy of this book also had a sticker on the front stating that it was £3.99 rather than the fiver I'd coughed up to Amazon. However, something about that sticker seemed familiar so I flipped the book over and there, as I suspected, was the sticker bearing the Argos code 01020656 for this item in their store (relates to 102/0656 in their catalogue).

I'm not sure why this should be - perhaps Amazon received an unexpectedly large number of orders on this item and so had to rush out to their local Argos in order to fulfil them. Whatever the reason, though, I'll take Amazon's hint and have a look in Argos first for my next purchase.
88 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2013
This was bought as a birthday present for 8 year old boy. He wa delighted with it being a big fan
on 20 May 2014
This annual being a special anniversary had a lot to live up to and I feel delivers what's been promised. Matt Smith is excellent in book form as he is in the role of the doctor. It is interesting with background details of the show and fun too. I will miss Matt (nearly as much as David!) and this is a fitting full stop to his part in bringing the Doctor to vibrant life.
on 18 February 2014
Doctor Who annuals these days seem to be produced to a higher standard than most annuals, probably because fans (even young ones) are picky and have plenty of choice. This has some good artwork but the content is fairly basic and largely aimed at younger children. Fun while you read it but not something to go back to.