4,078 Reviews
 (1,111)

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 21 months ago by Julia Flyte

2.0 out of 5 stars Took a gamble....very disappointed
So I found the concept intriguing, but was a little sceptical about what the book could do with it. Finally gave into the intrigue and the positive reviews and decided to give it a go. Got through the book pretty quickly, as I just wanted to get it over with so I could move on to something else.

I found it incredibly dull. The major plot and the big reveal...
Published 17 days ago by Natty

2.0 out of 5 stars Took a gamble....very disappointed, 16 April 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)

I found it incredibly dull. The major plot and the big reveal itself was great. I didn't guess what the secret revealed, but after it was, I felt that I should have pieced it together sooner, and I think many readers probably will.

I think the dullness came mainly from the characters. The use of internal dialogue to 'character develop' is irritating for me as a reader, personally. It's just a way to explain traits and acttions without naturally exploring those elements and letting them show through the writing itself. I also feel that there are too many protagonists, all utilising this device, but none of the characters are defined enough that their inner voice is distinct, therefore it becomes rather trite. There was an entire major sub-plot, which really could have been removed completely, as it was a diversion and not really related to the main journey enough to have any substantial effect. This may have allowed fewer characters to be explored in more details and methods, allowing for a more pleasant read.

Too much jumping about between stories to try to build suspense. When one of those three stories is pretty irrelevant, you lose a large chunk of the book and this tactic loses its effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to know..., 7 Aug. 2014
…and now I do. Am I disappointed? Only slightly.

For awhile there it felt like wherever I looked I saw the cover of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, taunting me. Every book-email and internet sidebar dangled the secret in front of me like a mouth-watering chocolate fudge cake (an M&S one no less). I had tried to be strong and to convince myself that I didn’t need or want to know the secret and that it was probably something unsavoury or uninteresting or un-something else but the temptation was far too much in the end. Apart from being a little insight into why I have had so many failed diet attempts I like to think that it demonstrates an admirable thirst for knowledge.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has lived many years blissfully unaware that her mild-mannered husband, John-Paul, harbours a life-changing secret until the day she discovers a letter addressed to herself, to be opened in the event of his death. What she reads in her husband’s letter leaves her reeling, as everything she thought she knew about her well-ordered life and the person she loves comes crashing down around her.

I thought that the build up to the revelation of John Paul’s secret was brilliant. Moriarty certainly knows how to tease her readers into a desperate frenzy and although I managed to refrain from actually shouting out loud ‘just tell me’ I was extremely close on more than one occasion! As well as Cecilia’s ongoing battle with her conscience, one of Moriarty’s stalling tactics was to introduce a second female protagonist, in the form of happily married Tess, who despite having an unshakable faith in her relationship is about to find out about her own husband’s betrayal. Tess’s shyness and self diagnosis of social anxiety coupled with her confidence with men made for an interesting read but whilst I wouldn’t be so mean as to refer to Tess as ‘all filler no killer’ it was clear why she didn’t quite cut it as a solo leading lady.

After what felt like a long long time (but was actually a couple of hours of reading spread over a few days), of getting distracted by other characters, Liana finally decided to let me on the secret. I promise I am not just saying this because it is now after the event, and I want to look like a smart-arse, but I did guess the secret before it was properly revealed. Whether or not this was Moriarty’s intention I may never know but I think it probably was given the way she built it up. The only problem was that once I did know for sure I felt such a relief that I lost momentum a little bit and became slightly less interested in the rest of the novel. That being said though the new problem of how the protagonist was supposed to deal with her husband’s secret was still a thought-provoking concept.

I couldn’t help but compare Cecilia and John-Paul’s relationship to my own and wonder what it would feel like to have everything I thought I knew about Ben change in an instant. I found myself (hopefully not too creepily) staring at him and wondering what it would feel like to find out he had a terrible secret. Could I forgive and can you just stop loving someone because of their past?

Moriarty explores the themes of guilt, revenge, forgiveness and the boundaries of love with an engaging look at the other side of the story. Worth a read, if only to satiate your burning curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 21 Sept. 2014
As my title suggests, after finishing The Husband's Secret I am utterly speechless at how good a novel this has been ... and very disappointed that I have reached the end and I don't have anymore of this book left to read.

What an amazing read - seriously!!

It had me clinging on to my iPad every time I picked it up to read, finding it difficult to put down.

Normally, I am not a fan of a novel consisting of so many characters with alternating chapters - it is the 'trying to remember' where that character left off I don't really enjoy, but this novel somehow had me hooked. It is written in such a way that the 'trying to remember' moments did not exist - page after page flowed in such a way that I didn't feel like the reader, I felt like a character in the book standing back watching the plot unfold in front of me.

Liane Moriarty, I am utterly in love with your writing style - keep up the good work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring 1950's good housewife guide!, 24 Feb. 2015
J. MASON "jess1984" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Disappointing, perhaps I got too caught up in the hype and reviews. I got this book based on liking Gone Girl and suggestions that I'd therefore possibly like this book. Basically it's a book about a bunch of middle class women who learn that if your man is either a murderer or adulterer then you need to just understand that marriages are difficult sometimes and just remember how awful and lonely life would be without them. The rest of the book seemed to be an advert for Tupperware. I clearly just didn't get it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy, accessible writing style but caricature and Tupperware reflect chic lit, 17 Mar. 2015
The husband's secret is mainly enshrined in a letter which he leaves and asks for his wife Cecilia not to open until after his death. So herein lies the trigger for a mystery and when we learn of the death of Cecilia's daughter it is not only the examination of her grief which is interesting but also the way she handles grief.

On the one hand this darkness runs though the novel, though the gloom is relieved by the very light and accessible writing style and, of course, the as yet undisclosed secret which is revealed about half way through the novel.

However some of the characters come close to convenient caricature and, to this extent there is some shallowness in their development through the story so that the novel, in places, comes closer to chic lit and I had been hoping for a deeper insight into characters which would have made them more believable. It is not so much that they are unlikeable, for who is without any flaws, but perhaps it was also the preoccupation with Tupperware which kept the subject in the arena of chic lit.

Even so, that Cecilia discovers the evidence for her daughter's death some twenty years after losing her is a reminder that one can be so intimate with a spouse as sleeping next to him every night and not questioning one's love when the terrible secret comes to shock. Perhaps it's in this piece of plot engineering that the author scores but I can't help saying that I missed the depth of observation and quality of writing which, for me, usually makes a novel satisfying and memorable.

2.0 out of 5 stars The hype around this book raised my expectations too much..., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
'Some secrets are meant to stay secret forever. Just ask Pandora.'

One secret about which I was in the dark before starting this book is that it's ...chick-lit. For some reason I thought I'm picking up a mystery novel or some literary family drama like the ones written by Jodi Picoult. But no - this is chick lit, and not the best one I read either. My review might be a bit unfair because my expectations were based on faulty assumption. But I had a similar situation with 'Me before you' by Jojo Moyes and I found myself enjoying it a lot. Therefore it will remain a secret to me forever why this book generated so much hype as even here on amazon it has over 2,000 five-star reviews. It's a light, decent chick lit but nothing special, extraordinary and I wouldn't go around recommending it left and right.

It's the story of three women: Cecilia, Tess and Rachel. Cecilia thinks she knows her husband but how much do you truly know the person sleeping beside you? Secrets will find their way to reach the light of the day and the lives of the three protagonists will intersect and change forever.

I found this story slow at times and the characters poorly developed and mostly unlikeable. The secret was disclosed around the page 150 and the plot was not compelling enough to keep me glued to the pages thereafter. I also did not care much for the women which surprised me. In the past I found myself sometimes shedding a tear or two when reading much sillier chick lit that here so on the face of it this story should have struck at least a tiniest chord with me. Yet it did not, I could not connect emotionally with any of the characters despite their personal tragedies.

I thought it would be much more predictable in the end but the author threw a little unexpected if not rather coincidental karmic twist into the plot. The writing style was light and engaging which enabled me to finish it without thinking of it as a total chore. But to be honest, I was skimming the last fifty pages or so.

If you pick up this book with slightly lower expectations that the hype seems to generate and are fully aware that this is chick-lit, you might be in for enjoyable experience. Personally I won't recommend it to any of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Aug. 2014
when I started the book I didn't think I would like it as I thought it was a romance. I am so glad I stuck with it. This is one of the best books I have read.
Beautifully written, I honestly feel I know the characters.
Bittersweet, tragic, heart breaking, funny.
I will be reading everything this author has written. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 2 Nov. 2014
Reviews are entirely subjective and I'm sure many people would enjoy this book more than I have. I usually read crime thrillers but it was the title and the fact this book was everywhere that made me buy it. I'm sorry to say I got three quarter way through and haven't had the heart to pick it up to finish it. There are lots of characters which I found it hard to keep track of, and some of the characters are going through such a miserable time I lost heart reading about them. Having said that the author writes with a lovely style and if you like this genre then you will most likely enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 25 Aug. 2014
Couldn't put this down. I read it in 24 hours. The story twists and turns in so many different directions.

It is the first book I have read by this author and just downloading another now - I can't wait.

Simply brilliant

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - 29 Aug. 2013)