2,777 Reviews
 (1,583)

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 11 months ago by Julia Flyte

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

Published 10 months ago by Joey

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sep 2013
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TROUBLE WITH SECRETS..........., 11 July 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be the best book I have read in years, and I have read an awful lot
of books.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick is superwoman or super mum, wife of John Paul, mum to three
gorgeous daughters, popular demonstrator extrordinaire of Tupperware, brilliant
cook, wonderful homemaker and beloved wife of John Paul she has the dream life
and is living that dream until.....she finds a letter hidden in the attic when
she is looking for something to help her daughter who is obsessing about the
Berlin Wall - its a letter written by her husband to her and to be opened in the
event of his death, if only Cecilia hadn't opened that letter.

The contents of the letter are not disclosed until a third of the way through
the book and are so shocking and explosive I could not take it in at first and
had to go back an read it all again. To say Cecilia's life is turned upside
down is an understatement it is more rocked to the core.

Enter Tess O'Leary whose son is starting at St Angela's where Cecilia's girls
all attend and also Rachel Crowley who is the school secretary - they become
involved with each other in the most unlikely circumstances and fate deals
a blow that they will never ever be the same again.

This is a wonderful book and if you only read one book this year MAKE IT THIS ONE,
should have TEN STARS...

3.0 out of 5 stars Husband's Secret, 26 Sep 2013
After reading the reviews I decided to purchase this book however I was disappointed as I quickly realised who and what the secret was. If you like a mystery I feel that are many better authors to choose from.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 11 Jun 2014
I had high hopes. When a book has been near the top of of the best-seller charts for a long time, one is enticed and expects a lot. For me, it was just OK. More chick-lit than anything. I thought I was buying a mystery, when in fact it read more like a soap in parts. Didn't quite do it for me. The writing was decent quality, nothing special. The observations on family life were convincing enough, but essentially for me, mixing up the mystery element (the husband's secret) with the chick-lit didn't work. The scenario - the problem - was strong enough for a more serious read and I would have preferred it that way. The main plot offered plenty of meat for the author. It could have been quite powerful, quite moving. Instead of which, we had silliness and coincidence and a cheap shot at humour, none of which enhanced the plot particularly. It won't stand out in my memory as anything other than OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a secret!, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
What good is a secret if I tell you, so with that in mind please forgive me for just jumping straight into what i thought of the story, but the synopsis really does tell you, all you need to know!

At first I found it hard keeping up with the separate sub plots that started the story, but several chapters in, I discovered 'The Husband's Secret' to be a truly gripping read that left me reeling in shock as Cecillia finally opened her husband's letter and discovered the secret, a secret I could never have foreseen..
Once the contents of the letter were out in the open, I found the story took on a faster pace and I was pulled into the world of mystery and intrigue even more and wondered how the characters would react to the discovery.

I found myself connected to the characters, with so many of them being likeable, it's hard not to get emotional with them and wanting to fight their battles.
I found Tess to be a wonderfully shy and lovely character but her cousin Felicity was like a cat that got the cream and that riled me!
As much as my blood boiled with Felicity, my heart went out to Rachael, she is extremely organised and has a hidden strength that her 70 years don't reflect in the mirror.

I love the way story pulled things together and the Epilogue was amazing, I'm very much a what if girl and this appealed to me.
When I first picked up the book, I wasn't expecting the journey my emotions would take, I wasn't expecting to have to put a book down to digest what had happened. Through the writings of Liane Moriaty, I felt the impact, of that secret.

Mystery, intrigue, love and trust, I suggest you find out what 'The Husband's Secret' is.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, not "staggeringly brilliant", 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
I bought this book purely on the back of many 5* reviews. I was very disappointed. I found the switching between two families and their secrets a bit laboured. The build to the letter was boring, and in fact I flicked through to find the letter. The refs to the Berlin wall throughout were an attempt at being clever I suspect, but just made the narrative more disjointed and jumpy. A very average and forgettable read,

1.0 out of 5 stars have i read a different book??, 12 Jan 2014
this has got to be one of the most boring books with the mst annoying characters iv ever had the misfortune to waste my time on. as other reviewers have said i guest by about 40
boring pages what the secert was. im amazed so many people loved it. i must be the odd one out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Purchased this book having read the good reviews.
I have to say I found it quite tedious, and not gripping at all. You can pretty much guess the 'who dunnit' from the start which removes any sense of suspense.
There are quite a few characters running through different chapters which all eventually link together - however most are quite irritating so you don't get any feeling of empathy.
I love a griping suspense type novel at bedtime, but this just sent me to sleep
Sorry!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored & binned it, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Oh for the promise of a book that has a tantalizing title and great cover reviews and is sold at the price of a good meal.

The first chapter creates nice tension ending with a married-couple conversation framed as a portentous cliff-hanger (please, give us just one more sentence!). But before that happens we have rambling chapters about routine family stuff in different families: like watching unrelated TV soap episodes. I started to skim more and more and more, and got to page 90, and couldn't see any narrative plot or reason to carry on.

Some books you can admire the writing or the pictures created in your mind, or you can get into people's heads, or ... there are many reasons to read and stay reading a book. But this one unticked all my boxes one by one.

I thought, hey my review's unfair, so I got it out of the bin and read some more. Page 130: "Nothing has happened," said Felicity. Sums it up in five words. Then Tess laughs and says, "What's the hold up?" Indeed.

Maybe it gets better eventually, but the first third of the book's routine threads overwhelms paying attention.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - 29 Aug 2013)
3.80