3,810 Reviews
 (2,175)
 (1,047)

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless
As my title suggests, after finishing The Husband's Secret I am utterly speechless at how good a novel this has been ... and very disappointed that I have reached the end and I don't have anymore of this book left to read.

What an amazing read - seriously!!

Published 4 months ago by LauraKT

1.0 out of 5 stars I Didn't Care About the Husband's Secret
Published 19 days ago by Kate Hopkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 21 Sept. 2014

What an amazing read - seriously!!

It had me clinging on to my iPad every time I picked it up to read, finding it difficult to put down.

Normally, I am not a fan of a novel consisting of so many characters with alternating chapters - it is the 'trying to remember' where that character left off I don't really enjoy, but this novel somehow had me hooked. It is written in such a way that the 'trying to remember' moments did not exist - page after page flowed in such a way that I didn't feel like the reader, I felt like a character in the book standing back watching the plot unfold in front of me.

Liane Moriarty, I am utterly in love with your writing style - keep up the good work.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to know..., 7 Aug. 2014
…and now I do. Am I disappointed? Only slightly.

For awhile there it felt like wherever I looked I saw the cover of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, taunting me. Every book-email and internet sidebar dangled the secret in front of me like a mouth-watering chocolate fudge cake (an M&S one no less). I had tried to be strong and to convince myself that I didn’t need or want to know the secret and that it was probably something unsavoury or uninteresting or un-something else but the temptation was far too much in the end. Apart from being a little insight into why I have had so many failed diet attempts I like to think that it demonstrates an admirable thirst for knowledge.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has lived many years blissfully unaware that her mild-mannered husband, John-Paul, harbours a life-changing secret until the day she discovers a letter addressed to herself, to be opened in the event of his death. What she reads in her husband’s letter leaves her reeling, as everything she thought she knew about her well-ordered life and the person she loves comes crashing down around her.

I thought that the build up to the revelation of John Paul’s secret was brilliant. Moriarty certainly knows how to tease her readers into a desperate frenzy and although I managed to refrain from actually shouting out loud ‘just tell me’ I was extremely close on more than one occasion! As well as Cecilia’s ongoing battle with her conscience, one of Moriarty’s stalling tactics was to introduce a second female protagonist, in the form of happily married Tess, who despite having an unshakable faith in her relationship is about to find out about her own husband’s betrayal. Tess’s shyness and self diagnosis of social anxiety coupled with her confidence with men made for an interesting read but whilst I wouldn’t be so mean as to refer to Tess as ‘all filler no killer’ it was clear why she didn’t quite cut it as a solo leading lady.

After what felt like a long long time (but was actually a couple of hours of reading spread over a few days), of getting distracted by other characters, Liana finally decided to let me on the secret. I promise I am not just saying this because it is now after the event, and I want to look like a smart-arse, but I did guess the secret before it was properly revealed. Whether or not this was Moriarty’s intention I may never know but I think it probably was given the way she built it up. The only problem was that once I did know for sure I felt such a relief that I lost momentum a little bit and became slightly less interested in the rest of the novel. That being said though the new problem of how the protagonist was supposed to deal with her husband’s secret was still a thought-provoking concept.

I couldn’t help but compare Cecilia and John-Paul’s relationship to my own and wonder what it would feel like to have everything I thought I knew about Ben change in an instant. I found myself (hopefully not too creepily) staring at him and wondering what it would feel like to find out he had a terrible secret. Could I forgive and can you just stop loving someone because of their past?

Moriarty explores the themes of guilt, revenge, forgiveness and the boundaries of love with an engaging look at the other side of the story. Worth a read, if only to satiate your burning curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Aug. 2014
when I started the book I didn't think I would like it as I thought it was a romance. I am so glad I stuck with it. This is one of the best books I have read.
Beautifully written, I honestly feel I know the characters.
Bittersweet, tragic, heart breaking, funny.
I will be reading everything this author has written. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly recommend, 28 Aug. 2014
J. Weeks - See all my reviews
just fabulous and the epilogue at the end is a total must to read. don't forget that bit as will amaze you. thoroughly recommend this book. couldn't put it down and will re read in time. have passed to friends who are adoring of it to with twists.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Didn't Care About the Husband's Secret, 7 Jan. 2015
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Cecilia is a bland middle-aged housewife, a seller of Tupperware (didn't Tupperware parties go out of fashion in the 1980s) and 'super mum', basking in her prosperous suburban life with her handsome husband John-Paul and their three daughters, Isabel (a character never developed at all), bookish Ellen and 'startlingly beautiful' (and annoying) Polly. One day, when looking for a souvenir of her student trip to Europe for her daughter Ellen, she stumbles across a letter from her husband to her 'not to be opened until the event of my death'. Of course, she eventually opens it (believing that the letter includes a confession of infidelity) and of course, her perfect life collapses. Cecilia's story of increasing misery (which culminates in a self-consciously shocking finale) runs alongside the stories of Tess, a woman who seems to have all the men in the world at her feet (even though she allegedly suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder), who has returned to Sydney after her husband has decided he might be in love with her cousin and who falls for one of her previous boyfriends, and Rachel, an elderly woman still reeling from the death of her daughter Jane many years previously. Rachel believes she has - at last - found her daughter's murderer, but is she right?

There are some books that one reads and wonders why they've become so popular - and this is definitely one (apologies to fans of this author - this is just my personal opinion). There was virtually nothing I liked about the book. To begin with, the characters were for the most part very unpleasant. Cecilia was a parody of the good housewife, tut-tutting at her elder daughter for developing passionate intellectual interests while cherishing her younger (spoilt brat!) daughter for her physical beauty, smugly congratulating herself on her perfect home and organisation, patronising her friends and seemingly uninterested in everything outside her daily boring routine. Her reaction to her husband's secret was cold and selfish. Tess's behaviour towards Conor was also very selfish - she simply made use of him - and the whole to-ing and fro-ing between her, Will and Felicity got very silly and unbelievable. Rachel seemed to use her grief simply as an excuse to be as horrible as possible to everyone. The male characters were all horribly underdeveloped, and I didn't believe as a good Catholic that John-Paul could have kept his 'secret' - wouldn't it have put him in a permanent state of sin?

SPOILER ALERT - AVOID IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS: But then the 'secret' and the whole plot was unbelievable too. The way that Janie died seemed unbelievable - people don't usually put their hands round other people's throats when they're angry with them - they might shake them or even hit them, but squeezing a throat is usually only done with one intention! Janie's decision to sleep with Conor 'because John-Paul was too handsome' was also unbelievable - wouldn't any teenage girl go for the man she liked best, rather than be frightened that they were 'too good'? If John-Paul was such a good and honest man I think he'd have spoken about his problems earlier - and he wouldn't have been able to keep so calm about his 'secret' for so long. Rachel's sudden decision that Conor 'must' have killed Janie seemed unconvincing - and if she'd believed it for a long time, wouldn't she have attempted her dastardly deed earlier, bearing in mind that Conor had been in the neighbourhood for some time? Wouldn't a suspected murder victim have a detailed autopsy? I also didn't believe in Rachel's sudden switch from vengeful matriarch to cuddly granny - particularly after what she'd done. And the whole Tess story was just silly - if Tess was so 'Socially Anxious' how did she seduce Conor with such ease (and have so many boyfriends - very shy tense women don't tend to), and if Will adored her so much why hadn't they talked earlier about their problems? And if Will and Felicity weren't having an affair, why the big confession to Tess? Along with all these improbabilities there were acres of extreme blandness: endless details of coffee-mornings, of preparations for birthday parties and school fetes (the Easter hat scene, after Cecilia had confessed that John-Paul had broken her heart, was plain silly), lots of conversations about love that appeared to have been lifted from self-help books etc etc. I'd no idea why the author considered the Berlin Wall to be such a major topic in the book (ironically I bought the novel in a charity shop having read the after note, and assuming the 'secret' was something to do with the fall of communism in Germany - in fact, the only references to Berlin consist of Ellen's obsession with it, and long quotes about the fall of the Wall dropped randomly into the book). Comparing a domestic tragedy to the fall of a regime struck me as bad taste. The anti-intellectual attitude of all the characters was infuriating - Ellen was seen as 'weird' for pursuing a lot of interests, and no one else appeared to have any other than domestica and sex. And I found the ending self-consciously shocking and actually rather silly - a 'splatter gun' finale to bring the book to a dramatic close that actually seemed very improbable, accompanied by a lot of smug authorial gloating about 'of course, if this, this and this hadn't happened everyone would have been happy'. In addition, the writing is clunky, the sense of atmosphere almost nil and the conversations repetitive.

I'm sure I must be missing something about the book bearing in mind the acclaim it's had, but it didn't do anything for me at all. I won't be revisiting Moriarty's fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 25 Aug. 2014
Couldn't put this down. I read it in 24 hours. The story twists and turns in so many different directions.

It is the first book I have read by this author and just downloading another now - I can't wait.

Simply brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting indeed..., 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
As English is not my first language - I found it difficult to read the book first. Jumping in and out of the story, showing different angles and of course the Australian slang didnt help either. But as soon as I got used to its rythm, I started to enjoy it very much. Truly this is an adult book and made me think a lot. Not just about my life or the characters life but for example the Berlin wall - silly enough. I was comparing the three lives all along - not deliberately- and always wondering who has the easier life, which pain could I possible bare more than the others. Also when I put myself in Cecilia`s "mind", it shocked me how hard it is what she was going through and felt so sorry for her husband. Still do. Also when Tess woke up in the bed with her husband in the end - before I wanted her to choose Connor, but then I understood. And its hard. Life is hard.... One mistake. It took one mistake to make all these people suffer.... The epilgue was.. it made me feel sad. Dont know why but it did. What do we know about our life? I am sure I will keep this story in my mind and never forget parts of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... past year so I thought it might be a good holiday read, 19 Aug. 2014
This books seems to have been everywhere over the past year so I thought it might be a good holiday read. The first few chapters are fantastic - and the main characters are well drawn and I liked the fact it was set in Australia. But...it peters out half-way and the twist, the 'secret' is pretty obvious. I'll definitely try another book by this author as she has a great observational eye and can clearly write well. But this book wasn't the work of genius that the reviews suggest. Not for me anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying characters, didn't keep me gripped., 16 Dec. 2014
Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The main thing with this book for me was the characters. They all just seemed to really annoy me. You also find out the big secret early on and the remainder of the book was just blather to me. If I wasn't reading this for my book club I probably would have given up on it half way through. That said, I did enjoy the final 2 pages that explained 'this would have happened if....'

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - 29 Aug. 2013)