2,886 Reviews
 (1,649)

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 12 months ago by Julia Flyte

Unfortunately, even one star is too many! Luckily I read this very quickly, and only wasted one day of my life. I have decided to write this to spare some other poor unsuspecting readers the same fate.

It promised a great deal, but started as a yawnsville of domesticity that we read books to escape from.

My biggest criticism of the writing style that...
Published 12 days ago by Everything English Education

1.0 out of 5 stars If this is your only planned summer read, swap it for something else before you leave, there's still time!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)

My biggest criticism of the writing style that instead of creating fully formed characters, Moriarty would add a little aside to show that Cecelia wasn't 'perfect' after all. As a Tupperware selling queen who was not pretty enough for her handsome husband, as well as having only one out of three beautiful children - she clearly deserved to have the beautiful world she didn't truly deserve totally destroyed.

As a non Catholic, I found the ending at best unsatisfactory, and at worst an example of literary immorality. Basically, we are all bad, so we're even, let's all live happily ever after and not tell the police. It will be fine, if we are good from now on, nothing bad will ever happen to us ever again, so we are all safe...

The epilogue was a travesty - the whole point of writing a this genre of novel is that you recreate another world that as a reader we can escape to. The nonsense at the end where it was - well if Cecilia had known this... and if .. (What was her dullard husband called again?) had known that blah de blah's daughter had had this genetic disease...What was all that about? Had Moriarty reached her word count for the publisher and then couldn't be bothered to write a proper ending?

Great idea, terrible execution - editor is at fault here too. If this is your only planned summer read, swap it for something else before you leave, there's still time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 13 July 2014
Like my facebook page on book reviews
www.facebook.com/JadesBookReviews
Introduction
Mother of three and wife of John-Paul, Cecilia discovers an old envelope in the attic. Written in her husband's hand, it says: to be opened only in the event of my death.
Curious, she opens it - and time stops.
John-Paul's letter confesses to a terrible mistake which, if revealed, would wreck their family as well as the lives of others.
Cecilia - betrayed, angry and distraught - wants to do the right thing, but right for who? If she protects her family by staying silent, the truth will worm through her heart. But if she reveals her husband's secret, she will hurt those she loves most . . .

I didn't have a favourite character from this book, simply because they where all boring and I couldn't get attached to them or seem to care. John-Paul is a wimpy man that I just want to slap and say 'grow some balls'. Cecilia is maybe the best character of them all and that's nothing to be proud about. She is a stuck up, nosey women. The only reason I felt something for her was because she was put in this horrible situation by her stupid husband. But I didn't like anything about her personality or characteristics.
The characters didn't feel real to me, they where boring horrible people. I couldn't get connected to them from the start. I wanted to enjoy this book because it sounded like a great read, I was wrong.
The story did keep me guessing. But I think it was too long to find out the secret. There were all these characters at the beginning and I didn't understand what they had to do with the story until about 25% (Kindle), and then some of them had no connection to the main story.
I was very interested to know The Husband's Secret and then to find out if Cecilia would tell the police about the secret.
This story did not keep me turning the pages, I finished the book because I wanted to find out what would happen, not because I loved the story. It's very hard for me to put a book down once I have started, even if I don't like it. I feel compelled to finish, just so I could tick it off on my list.

The things that didn't work for me were all the characters. Some of them had a part to play in the story but others, I think could have been cut out. It would have shortened the story and maybe not dragged out the beginning for so long.
I couldn't care about any of the characters in the book, I'm not sure what it was. John-Paul needed to be more of a man, Cecilia needed to stop thinking she was this perfect women and just let her hair down a bit.

Summary
Overall this could of been made to be a better book. I enjoyed the secret part and not knowing what Cecilia would do with the information she found. But just too much going on at the same time.
I can't say that I would recommend this book to anyone. But I know it has gotten some better reviews but it's just not for me.

Rating
This book gets a 1 out of 5 Star rating.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sep 2013
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TROUBLE WITH SECRETS..........., 11 July 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be the best book I have read in years, and I have read an awful lot
of books.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick is superwoman or super mum, wife of John Paul, mum to three
gorgeous daughters, popular demonstrator extrordinaire of Tupperware, brilliant
cook, wonderful homemaker and beloved wife of John Paul she has the dream life
and is living that dream until.....she finds a letter hidden in the attic when
she is looking for something to help her daughter who is obsessing about the
Berlin Wall - its a letter written by her husband to her and to be opened in the
event of his death, if only Cecilia hadn't opened that letter.

The contents of the letter are not disclosed until a third of the way through
the book and are so shocking and explosive I could not take it in at first and
had to go back an read it all again. To say Cecilia's life is turned upside
down is an understatement it is more rocked to the core.

Enter Tess O'Leary whose son is starting at St Angela's where Cecilia's girls
all attend and also Rachel Crowley who is the school secretary - they become
involved with each other in the most unlikely circumstances and fate deals
a blow that they will never ever be the same again.

This is a wonderful book and if you only read one book this year MAKE IT THIS ONE,
should have TEN STARS...

3.0 out of 5 stars Pandora's Box, 16 July 2014
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Mother of three, top Tupperware selling agent and wife of John-Paul, Cecilia is successful and happy. She’s also a pillar of her small community, as well as revelling in her role as a devoted wife and mother. Her life in Australia where this novel is set, is as orderly and spotless as her home. Until one day when hunting for something for her daughter in the attic, she knocks over a box of her husband's paperwork and on scooping it back up she discovers an envelope written in her husband's writing which says: "To be opened only in the event of my death."
Although Cecilia resists the urge to open it at first, she mentions casually that she has found it to her husband in a phone call later that day as he is away on business. John-Paul's reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?
After a lot of consideration, Cecilia later finds herself opening the envelope and once she does, she realises her life will never be the same again.

Whilst Cecilia and the letter form the basis for this story to unfold, The Husband's Secret also introduces us to a few other characters before Cecilia opens the envelope. Indeed just as she mentions the envelope in a phone call to her husband, the chapter ends and we are then introduced to Tess, who is suddenly informed by her husband and cousin that they have fallen in love.
Tess is totally shocked, her cousin has always been her best friend and they share everything, but now it seems she wants to share Tess's husband too. They inform Tess that they have not yet slept together, as if that should make Tess thankful for this consideration, but funnily enough, Tess doesn't feel very grateful to them and makes plans to flee her home taking her young son with her.
We are then introduced to Rachel, who is also in receipt of some bad news. Her son and his wife are moving to New York and taking their son, Rachel's only grandchild, with them. Rachel's daughter was murdered many years ago and with her husband dead too, Rachel isn't happy about the news and the fact she is going to be left all alone.
The first three chapters introduce these three sets of characters and you realise that somehow they are all going to be linked or brought together at some point and you are right. However, I did find it a little confusing at first and found the character-jumping a little irritating and disjointed.
I also wasn't totally absorbed in the story either, which made it difficult for me to concentrate. I didn't particularly warm to anyone except maybe Tess at first and found the descriptions of Cecilia's perfect life and community involvement in everything quite nauseating if I am honest, although I appreciate the author is allowing the reader to realise the extent to which Cecilia's life is about to change after she opens the envelope.

Once I got used to the characters, the jumping around between them became easier to follow and I began to get more enjoyment from reading this book. The author is quite witty and gives Cecilia one or two lines which made me smile and actually warmed me to her character a little as she struggles to cope with the revelations revealed in her husband's letter.
Whilst it is obvious that Cecilia is going to open the envelope as that is what the story is based upon, there is no real suspense there, apart from you wondering when exactly she is going to open it, which made me feel impatient. After all, I think most people in her position would open it too, it would be hard not to!
Its contents make you wonder what you would do if you were Cecilia and her wrestling with her thoughts and emotions are well described. I could sympathise with her here as I found myself wondering what would I do in her position and I honestly do not know. Therefore I can't be picky about the decisions she makes, but it still irked me that I couldn't like her character as much as I wanted to.
I did mention I quite liked the character of Tess, but I found the outcome to her part of the story a let-down and this changed my perception her.
Overall I found it was minor characters such as PE teacher Connor Whitby, which appealed the most to me in terms of likeability, as I felt somewhat disconnected to most of the characters, but there was however, enough intrigue within the pages to keep me reading and wondering what the outcome would be. Indeed it may sound as if I didn't really enjoy reading this book, but strangely enough I did. The fact I was wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion was enough to keep me interested throughout.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly dreadful rubbish, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Don't plan to write a long review as this tosh doesn't deserve it: I just wanted to add my voice to those who have so harshly (in my view rightly) criticised this book. Poorly written with a devastating secret that was not only obvious but totally undevastating: this is the kind of book that gives chick lit a bad name.

Sophie Hannah says on the cover that the book is "staggeringly brilliant ... literally unputdownable." Couldn't put it down? After half a dozen chapters I couldn't pick the bloody thing up. Very poor!

3.0 out of 5 stars Husband's Secret, 26 Sep 2013
After reading the reviews I decided to purchase this book however I was disappointed as I quickly realised who and what the secret was. If you like a mystery I feel that are many better authors to choose from.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Tripe, 30 May 2014
This is THE worst book I've ever read. It was so bad I found it offensive and I'm angry at myself for reading it. Ordinarily I wouldn't give it any more time by reviewing it but seeing as I was seduced by the high star rating, I felt I owed it to anybody else tempted to read this rubbish to try and give a more realistic rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a secret!, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
What good is a secret if I tell you, so with that in mind please forgive me for just jumping straight into what i thought of the story, but the synopsis really does tell you, all you need to know!

At first I found it hard keeping up with the separate sub plots that started the story, but several chapters in, I discovered 'The Husband's Secret' to be a truly gripping read that left me reeling in shock as Cecillia finally opened her husband's letter and discovered the secret, a secret I could never have foreseen..
Once the contents of the letter were out in the open, I found the story took on a faster pace and I was pulled into the world of mystery and intrigue even more and wondered how the characters would react to the discovery.

I found myself connected to the characters, with so many of them being likeable, it's hard not to get emotional with them and wanting to fight their battles.
I found Tess to be a wonderfully shy and lovely character but her cousin Felicity was like a cat that got the cream and that riled me!
As much as my blood boiled with Felicity, my heart went out to Rachael, she is extremely organised and has a hidden strength that her 70 years don't reflect in the mirror.

I love the way story pulled things together and the Epilogue was amazing, I'm very much a what if girl and this appealed to me.
When I first picked up the book, I wasn't expecting the journey my emotions would take, I wasn't expecting to have to put a book down to digest what had happened. Through the writings of Liane Moriaty, I felt the impact, of that secret.

Mystery, intrigue, love and trust, I suggest you find out what 'The Husband's Secret' is.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - 29 Aug 2013)
3.85