2,220
Bared to You (Crossfire, Book 1)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£3.85+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I don't normally like to compare books in my reviews because I prefer to look at them on their own merit but because this was recommended for fans of Fifty Shades of Grey I'm going to make a comparison this time. I'm one of those people who ended up completely addicted to FSoG, I had a lot of problems with the writing style - the constant repetitions, the bad grammar and the poor editing to name a few - but I could not put it down and devoured the entire trilogy in record time.

I needed something to fill the FSoG shaped hole in my life and Bared to You was highly recommended. It is another book that was originally self published by the author and has now been picked up by a major publishing house after it became a big hit on Amazon and there is no doubt in my mind that it will appeal to FSoG fans. In my opinion Bared to You is a million times better that FSoG in a lot of ways - Sylvia Day's writing is so much better, there are no conversations with the inner goddess that made me want to scream, I liked Eva a lot more than Ana and the sex scenes are much hotter. So you'd rightfully be thinking that I'd recommend the story to FSoG fans.

However, I can't say I found it quite as addictive as FSoG. Yes, I devoured Bared to You. Yes, I stayed up until 5am in the morning because I couldn't but it down. Yes, I am definitely going to be reading the next two books in the series. Yes, I did fall for Gideon but I don't love him quite as much as I love Christian. Perhaps that will change as I get to know him better throughout the next two books but we'll have to wait and see. I still can't stop thinking about FSoG even though it has been nearly two months since I finished reading it and I don't know what I would have done with myself if the next two books hadn't been available for me to devour immediately afterwards. While I'm excited that I only have to wait until October for Deeper in You that wait isn't going to kill me. I have to say that I love both books as much as each other but in different ways, neither FSoG or Bared to You is perfect but they are both compelling and not to be missed.

One of the things I liked most about Bared to You was the fact that Eva and Gideon are both as messed up as each other. They both have terrible issues from their pasts that have deeply effected the way they behave in the present. This seems much more realistic to me and I like the fact that they are both going to have to deal with their past and make changes to their attitudes if they want to have a chance at a successful relationship. This isn't a case of one person having to "fix" the other, it's a case of two deeply hurt individuals who might have a chance at healing each others pain and working towards a happy future together.

As much as I loved the email exchanges between Ana and Christian in FSoG I loved the banter between Eva and Christian even more. I love the way she is adult enough to stand up to him face to face or over the phone. She is no simpering virgin but rather someone who knows exactly what she wants and how to get it. Gideon is very possessive and should come with a stalker warning, especially at the beginning of the story, but Eva won't put up with any of his crap and in her own way she behaves just as badly at times with her own jealousy problems. Gideon is rich, powerful and successful, sexy as sin as well as dark and dangerous - I don't know many women who wouldn't find themselves attracted to him. The chemistry between him and Eva is intense and the pages literally sizzle when they are in a room together. Their journey may not be an easy one but you feel like they have something worth fighting for.

If you're looking for a scorching hot contemporary erotic story with a gritty romance between two damaged people then I'd highly recommend Bared to You. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next instalment and in the meantime I'm definitely planning on checking out some of Sylvia Day's other books.
5252 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
On the front cover of my book there's a little sticker that says, "If you liked Fifty Shades of Grey, you'll love this." Well, I loved Fifty Shades so I knew I wanted to read this, especially if it was being compared to this but you know what I didn't expect? I didn't expect to love Bared to You more, but I did. So...move over Christian Grey and make way for Gideon Cross!

Wow....just wow. I can't believe how much I loved this book and I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. This book is always going to be compared to Fifty Shades of Grey, they have the same rich, hot, alpha male's with troubled pasts and female's that can bring the males to their knees, but the different is there's no BDSM relationship. Now before you Fifty Shades of Grey haters start, Bared to You is so much more than Fifty and you may find that, if you try this you might enjoy it too, so don't be put off by all the Fifty talk.

What I loved about this book was the fact that it felt very realistic. Eva isn't a innocent girl that doesn't know about sex, she's a women that had a troubled past and she like to be in control of her life. She won't settle for being controlled by her family or Gideon. I loved that about her. I loved that she won't allow Gideon to control her but instead, makes him see her as an equal. Now Gideon, he's a rich, powerful young man who loves to be in control in and out of bed. Eva really changes his life, he finds it hard to let people in because of his dark secrets he is hiding and boy, do I want to know his secrets. Despite Eva and Gideon's obstacles, I really think they make a fantastic couple. I'm really rooting for them and I'm very eager to see what the next two books have in store for them.

The story itself is heart-wrenching, packed with emotions and passionate scenes. It's beautiful and touching and let's not forget the hot scenes between Eva and Gideon. Sparks literally fly off the pages when you read this book and it will leave you begging for more.

If I haven't convinced you to read this book yet, then I'll leave you my three favourite quotes...ENJOY!

1) "I can't go long without you either, Eva. You're an addiction...my obsession..." - Gideon

2) "I'm an animal with you," he murmured. "I want to mark you. I want to possess you so completely there's no separation between us." - Gideon

3) "You forget who submits, Eva," he said gruffly. "I've given up control for you. I've bent and adjusted for you. I'll do anything to keep you and make you happy. But I can't be tamed or topped. Don't mistake indulgence for weakness." - Gideon
on 28 October 2012
this book confused me slightly, it seems to advertise its self (or rather people advertise it) as another fifty shades of grey, and whilst i loved the FSog series, i really couldn't get into this book. Im currently working my way through the second and i feel it doesn't have the same pull as FSoG.
I found the book to be very dull, and i really cant get into it. The book centres on the relationship of eva and Gideon, and that they were both abused, eva by her step brother Nathan and Gideon by a mystery person. Every so often a mention of nathan crops up, and you think he might appear but he doesn't (well at least he hasn't yet) There is a part of the book after Eva has been for dinner with her mother who seems to freeze in the street, we then read Eva asks Gideon for the security tapes, and personally i thought this would see us introduced to Nathan, but it just leads us to another chapter.i feel the book really doesn't make the characters very 3 dimensional, the sex scenes are very samey with little to no variation, bar where they have sex, limo/bed/bath. I don't think we get enough information about what happened with Gideon to make him such a mess, but plenty of eva's issues, its almost as though the author hasn't decided fully on what she wants to do with gideon, and bar his muscles, we don't get much of a description, and i think its the lack of a description that makes me feel the characters are very 2d. I herd it advertised as another BDSM book, but it really isn't, there are elements of controlling behaviour from Gideon but nothing like we see from Christian. The book mentions how Gideon hates his family, but then on the next page its the next day, it feels like huge chunks of the book are missing, and whilst this is obviously done to make a 'page turner' it just really annoys me!
will i read the third book ..... most likely, but i dont find it a page turner, more a chore. My main issue with this book or rather the series is i don't think if flowed very well.
on 17 September 2014
Like most people reviewing this book I started with 50 Shades and was feeling some sort of hole after having finished the triology. So I went out to look for a book that could fill that hole. Bared to you was promising to fill that hole good, but.... it didn't. Quite honestly I don't really get what everyone who gave it 5 stars is all excited about. It is an ok-ish book, but quite honestly I can put it down easily without craving that 'I need to know what happens next' feeling that I had with 50 shades. The main characters are incredibly annoying to me, especially Gideon - starting with how they meet and how he comes on to her. I only bought the first part to see how it reads and if I liek it I would buy part two and three. But after part one already didn't hold up to the hype I will give part 2 and 3 a miss. maybe if I hadn't read 50 Shades first this would have done OK.
The only reason I'm not giving only one star is that it had it's quite entertaining parts and was not completely awful.
on 11 July 2012
Firstly I have to confess that I haven't finished it yet, but I felt the need to write something, though that might be because I have only had four hours sleep. I bought the novel yesterday, started it at around 10.30pm expecting to be falling asleep within half an hour but at 2.30am I was still reading until my husband 'suggested' I turn the light out. When he came back into the bedroom after his shower at 6.40 this morning to find me reading my Kindle again he asked me if I was reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I told him it was something better.

This has humour, an admission of lust that develops into more; it feels real and I have developed a bond with the characters, not just a desire to know what will happen next, how far they will go. I'm only half way through, so it could all be downhill from here, but if you like a good novel and are not embarrassed reading about sex, then you should read it.
Have to keep this short as need a comfort break and a coffee before I go back to another session - could someone ring my husband and ask him to bring me some eye drops home because I'll probably need them later; oh! and a take-away!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
BARED TO YOU is one of those books I’ve looked at many times on shelves at the library and book stores with mild interest but never really with enough to compel me to pick it up. I’ve been trying to branch out from YA this past year and try new genres in particular romance in all its shades and the massive interest in Sylvia Day finally convinced me this series would be worth trying and WOW is that interest justified!

BARED TO YOU is about Eva, having recently moved to NYC with her best friend Cary; she’s looking forward to a fresh start after recovering from a very dark time in her past. Unfortunately her over-wrought mother is a little zealous in her protectiveness of her daughter after feeling like she failed her so desperately in the past but Eva is determined to strike out on her own and starts a job as an executive assistant at a firm in the Crossfire building owned by enigmatic billionaire Gideon Cross. A chance meeting between the two sparks a passionate affair that tests their emotional defences to the limit and beyond.

It’s not often that I am so captivated by two people and root for them so deeply but Sylvia Day really made me care for Eva and Gideon! I warmed to Eva immediately and really liked how despite the fact she is one of the 1% and is privileged to the max, she’s not spoilt. She appreciates the position she is in due to her background but is eager to work and make a place for herself based on her own merits. She’s also deeply caring and protective of her friends, especially Cary and I loved their dynamic although I doubt I would be quite so forgiving of some of the more extreme aspects of his lifestyle! She’s put up walls for the darkest of reasons and despite the immediate chemistry with Gideon, she refuses to give her heart to the undeserving and boy does she make Gideon work for it! While their sex life could rival the heat from an active volcano and is just as explosive, the emotional side of their relationship is quite sweet and passionate and makes you want them to find peace and happiness in each other.

Gideon Cross…hello primal hunk of goodness – While he definitely embodies a lot of the more infuriating alpha male characteristics seen in these novels – demanding, stubborn, and controlling – there’s an intense vulnerability that Eva brings out in him which is just wonderful. I loved the moments where they connected on a deeper level than just sex. This brings me to the sex…yeah…wow! I don’t think I’ve read quite such a descriptive book with such steamy scenes but boy can Day paint a graphic and <ahem> affecting picture…we’ll say no more!!

One thing that really stood out for me and made me fall in love was the writing! Sylvia Day has the most beautiful, eloquent style that enthralled me. I loved her descriptive passages that really made me picture New York and I felt like I was right there with Eva and Gideon (but like not at steamy times because that would be awkward!!!) This book is high on drama and really puts you though the ringer but I loved every minute!

Sexy, emotional, highly passionate and oh so addictive – BARED TO YOU is a definite hit for this girl!
on 11 November 2012
I'm not sure what to say here. This was an experimental read, if you like. I'd seen lots of people reading and loving it, and even though I was half-way convinced it wouldn't be for me, like a petulant child being left out of a game, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and wondered if I just gave it a chance, maybe I'd fall under its spell too.

I didn't. I didn't hate it either, though. I don't have any angry, hateful feelings I need to vent about it. To be honest, I don't feel much. I find myself slightly indifferent. I was somewhat annoyed at how it ended since I don't want to read any more and answers were not provided on certain things, but that's something I can learn to live with because I don't care about the characters enough to lose sleep over it. Also, I found the repetitiveness of Eva's running away and her jealousy irritating.

It think it all comes down to one thing, which is that the sex was just too much for me. (I know, I know, it's erotic romance, what did I expect). Well, I guess I expected not to be so bored by it. It started off quite well; the scene in the limo was particularly steamy, and at that point I was still hopeful I might enjoy it. Nine-hundred sex scenes later, however, it had quickly gone from titillating to tedious and tiresome.

I can't really talk about the plot as there isn't much of one aside from the twisted, obsessive relationship between Gideon and Eva, and the sex. (Oy, the sex). And once I was bored with the sex, there was so little left for me to grasp on to.

It's ironic that a book that is suppose to be so sexy was the biggest turn-off to me. I would literally look at how much of the book was left and think (hope, pray) that surely there can't be any more sex scenes in it now before the end. There's got to be some other big thing that happens at the end, right? Like maybe the answers I wanted? But nope.

I'm sorry to those lovely Goodreaders who helped me decide to give this a go when I was dithering about it. I feel like I've failed some kind of test. But in the future I think I stick to my hunky highlanders and fearsome knights. Romance vs Erotica every time..

2 Stars ★★
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ok I hate comparing books but I cant do a review of this without mentioning Fifty Shades of Grey the similarities are too much to even pretend they are nothing alike. Young girl, falls for a rich hunk of a man in his late 20's who just happens to have a deep dark secret from his past that he is unable to talk about. The only real difference between the two females in these two tales is that unlike Ana, Eva has also suffered her share of abuse.

I read (and loved) FSoG several months ago, before I was aware of the hype surrounding the series, and since then all I've heard is "If you loved this then you should read Bared to you"... "It's way hotter than fifty"..
I started reading this book around 11:30pm and sat up until 1:30 reading it and when I woke at 6am I decided to pass the time reading some more. Yes I found it interesting, and I did struggle to put it down, but I wouldn't class it as hotter than FSoG.. AS hot as maybe. It is written better though.

Both Eva and Gideon accept they are not perfect, in fact they both admit they are possessive and they accept this of each other, but it doesn't miraculously erase their insecurities. There is no denying that these two people are damaged, and in Gideon's case we are still left wondering how and by who.

Something bared to You had that FSoG was missing was the best friend, Eva's room-mate was very much present. Was there to help offer advice or even just a shoulder to cry on. Yes he was just as (or more than) scarred by his past, but he was ever present. There is plenty of room for growth for all characters involved, i just hope that future instalments doesnt see them "cured" after one therapy session together.

I am looking forward to reading the second instalment in the trilogy Reflected in You when it is released in October.
on 19 July 2012
I'm going to refrain from comparing & contrasting this with FSoG ... okay no I'm not. I read the FSoG trilogy and I've not been able to read another fiction book since, I was that absorbed. I pooh poohed suggestions to read BTY: Crossfire thinking it wouldn't be as good and I was proved right in some respects & wrong in others.
BTY was certainly more polished than FSoG but the plot seemed rushed to me. I know, I know, it's a story and it's escapism but a sense of reality seemed to be missing. For instance who on earth falls in love at the first two second meeting. I just thought it seemed far fetched, SPOILER, especially the whole ring wearing thing after only a week or so. At least 50 & Anna took relative time that was kind of believable. I missed the banter between the two main charecters, Ana & Christian had the emails which allowed us small glances into his mind but there was very little in BTY to show us how Gideon felt. Kudos to BTY though that she didn't copy the email idea though as that would have been one step to far in the copying issue. The author could of, however, gave us more of Gideon's side.
The other thing that got to me was the, erm how shall I put this, OBVIOUS, copy of FSoG, Eva falls over when he meets Gideon, Gideon has a black SUV, he has a penthouse etc. The author even thanks E L James at the end of her book.
It was an OK read and I will be reading the rest when they are released but it wasn't the best. The good points are that the good supporting characters. I also like that Eva was more independent & that she had her own money and she wasn't an innocent, naive person. The constant references to her therapy (especially couples therapy with Gideon for a relationship only a couple of days old!!) started to grate almost as much as Ana's inner goddess in FSoG. Gideon, well he seemed OK, but the whole sleep issue kind of weird-ed me out & that's just a personal opinion. I think I can see where this is going to go & like I say I will buy the rest of the trilogy but I would recommend FSoG first.
on 26 August 2012
Definitely not for anyone who has read and loved FSOG. The central characters are not as likeable as Christian & Anastasia and barely have a redeeming feature between them. Not brilliantly written either. The ending just screamed "follow-up" for more money and what was with the discussion page at the end?! Rubbish.