5.0 out of 5 stars creepy and most memorable
Published 6 months ago by cartoon

2.0 out of 5 stars Second rate sentimental sensationalism
I was so disappointed in this book. The other three were variable but I enjoyed them. This was like a Jeffrey Archer. All the criminals are psychotic, Rose and Assad are unknowable and undeveloped, the shooting of Morck has yet another outing to no conclusion, Morck himself becomes more unlikeable with each novel and a lot of the scenes are just unbelievable as the...
Published 3 months ago by L. M. Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars creepy and most memorable, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Guilt: Department Q 4 (Paperback)
From the brilliant Mercy [ a story that still sends a chill to my memory when I wake in the night ] Olsen has been one of my favourite stand out writers . I sometimes do not get some of the humour re race/ toilet jokes but maybe that is a Danish translation thing . Here I a really creepy story about revenge and supremacy and power . From the first scene when Nete attends a banquet with her husband and bumps into some one from her past that she doesnot want to see , I can feel a scream building in my throat . A marvellous thriller , very visual and with a shocking scene towards the end to keep me awake .

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-Provoking Case Centres on Eugenics and Forced Abortions, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Guilt: Department Q 4 (Paperback)
I love this series! I did find this one a bit different than the previous ones thus had a slow start but once I got into the plot it was great reading from then on. The difference here is that it isn't quite the same type of crime story/investigation. The reader knew what was going on as the narrative switched from the real-time events in the past of the crime being committed and the current events of the Carl's Q squad investigation. There's also a third narrative which goes even further back in history to the perpetrator's backstory. It isn't until quite close to the end that the reader is given a twist and a shock and we are finally surprised with something. While I do find the mystery of not knowing the perpetrator more exciting, I can also enjoy this type of presentation as well, as we watch how the police manage to track down the person we know who is hiding. I must say I also found the theme of this book, forced abortions and eugenics, highly thought-provoking. I am pro-life and with both of these issues no less prevalent in today's world than they were in the '50s was very well-pleased with how the subject was handled. The last book concentrated on Rose, giving us insight into her character. Now, this 4th book, concentrates on Hassad. He is such a mysterious character that we aren't exactly given any answers but we are shown more of him and his character allowing our thoughts and speculation to being that much closer to the truth. Originally, this was promoted as a four book series but with the ending of this book, it is obvious a sequel will be continuing the story and I would really hope we have many more yet to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last one, 4 May 2014
After a slow start, 'Guilt' was gripping. For me, 'Mercy' is the best of this excellent series by a country mile and this offering is not in that league but still worth a read.

On the negative side, the shifting time lines and sheer number of characters was confusing and some of the language was stilted and unnatural: 'you must be sick in the noddle'.....'who else have you cavorted with?' But the subject matter - eugenics - was fascinating and the story well-told. The ending was a surprise, too.

3.5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars another sleepless night!, 2 Mar 2014
what else can i say? a masterpiece of writing that i had to finish in one sitting, can't wait for q5!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, 23 Jun 2014
I originally found the department Q books by mistake. I'm really glad I did
I love the way the plot unfolds and the different time zones comes together. The tension always builds as the past and present eventually collide
On the one hand the novels are quite dark but there is always plenty of humour, particularity between Mork. Assad and Rose.
Looking forward to the next one

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 12 Jun 2014
The flashbacks and forwards were at first disconcerting but once you get userd to it, a story is revealed. the usual formulaic detective, a bit cynical, with personal problems etc. but it kept me gripped and wanting to read on despite sometimes being tired. Somewhat of a slightly improbable plot, maybe, or we hope, but with a nice twist at the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 10 May 2014
Of all the Scandinavian thriller characters, Carl Morck and his odd team of Assad and Rose/Yrsa make for the most entertainingly accessible read. From mercy right through to Guilt, the character development coupled with a well placed thriller make the department q series unputdownable.
I hope the next one doesn't take too long to arrive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, 4 April 2014
I have read this series of books more or less back to back (except for the agonising wait for #4!). If you like a bit of subtle humour with your crime fiction then this is definitely for you. I love all the regular characters in these books but Carl Morck is my hero! The villains are usually detestable, seriously reprehensible people and from the get go you want to see them get their comeuppance. In this book the back story to the crimes gives you an understanding of the killer in terms of how they got to the point of murder, but then the twists and turns in the plot keep you guessing about the final outcome right until the end. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are more to come, otherwise we will never find out about the nail gun shootings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Of the moment, 22 Jun 2014
All the emotions you could think of are in this book. Yet again Adler-Olsen has managed to bring all his characters to life not one is filler. I guess these injustices to women have happened everywhere. Morck is a brilliant anti hero a good man with some very amusing flaws.
Please write more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 15 May 2014
Mr. John Roebuck "shedliner" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Another enjoyable read about the misfits in department Q. Well constructed storylines, both past and present, making a very interesting cold case for Carl et al to solve. It also raises issues of treatment and tolerance of others, wether for reasons of race, education, social standing, etc

Guilt: Department Q 4
Guilt: Department Q 4 by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)