5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent model - fab results!
I got this model kit for Christmas, and was totally engrossed for the rest of Christmas day and Boxing Day. Granted, I'm quite a bit older than the target age range, but I'm entirely inexperienced when it comes to model making.
Published on 29 Jan. 2010 by I. Rush

1.0 out of 5 stars Insanely tricky model
Published on 19 Oct. 2008 by N. Mortimer

1.0 out of 5 stars Insanely tricky model, 19 Oct. 2008
N. Mortimer (Devizes, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
This model is WAY too complicated for anyone but the most experienced model maker. I'm not really sold on the general concept of cardboard models but have attempted a few, including a previous Dr Who kit. I've spent half a day with this Tardis model, a present for one of my boys - who lost interest hours ago! - and I'm about a third of a way though it. The results so far are not good; this model is just way to complicated and fiddly for a press-out cardboard job, and like another reviewer I've had to resort to tape several times to get the sprocket locks to hold. Back to good old Airfix for me!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Most. Frustrating. Model. EVER., 8 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
Doctor! NO! Don't buy it!

My 5 year old purchased this for himself with some birthday money over a year ago and when it arrived said the immortal words "Daddy, please can you help me with this?". So we started and spent a week doing the model a page or two at a time as he lost interest VERY quickly and I got incredibly frustrated doing it with him as he was either whining it was taking too long or I was gritting my teeth and trying not to hurl it against the wall.

The manual is split into several sections. Preamble on The TARDIS and some notes "Before You Begin" before leaping into the instructions: "The Console" (6 pages), "The Deck" (6 pages), "The Roof" (6 pages & "Accessories" (2 pages). There is also a final page with "The Finished Model" just to add further frustration and anger...I mean to show you what yours SHOULD look like.

As commented by other reviewers the tabs don't always go in properly or unfurl when they are in and do just pop back out again. You will also find the card on the tabs splitting and you will also lose bits if you are not careful because they do come detached from the card. All adds to the fun of it, I'm sure.

"The Console" was by far the hardest bit to do on our first stint as the central column is made of plastic which is a total pig to bend into shape. So frustrating in fact that we only got onto page 4 of 6 of "The Deck" before the increasingly large model was consigned to the top shelf. Until today. Which is a year or so later and my son is now 6 so able to do more. Oh, joy.

So here I am with an almost finished TARDIS next to me. I started writing this review after screaming so loudly whilst doing some struts for "The Roof" that I have actually hurt my throat. It's starting to look impressive but also very, very big. The Deck is around 60cm in diameter (2' in old money) and looks like it will be just as tall. No idea where we are going to put it.

Wish me luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for little tykes, or big tykes lacking patience., 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
This is not a kit to buy for a little person or someone lacking patience. Partly down to its fiddly nature and also down to the "no glue required" tabs that tend not to work.

The theory is that you fold the tab ends in, push it through the slot causing the ends to unfold and lock the tab in place.

What tends to happen is you fold the ends in and they unfold before you can get it through the slot. Alternatively you get it through the slot and the stay folded, or the tab won't go far enough through and so they can't unfold without additional prodding with a pencil. The worst option is that little ones get frustrated with it and end up destroying the tabs (PVC glue to the rescue)

Putting this together I pondered how many ended up in the bin and I suspect quite a lot. My little assistant gave up half way through. However, she then enjoyed playing with the part build set. I went on to complete it and it is getting a lot of play with assorted plastic figures. How long it will last such treatment is another matter.

I think if it was designed to use glue it would have been less frustrating.

One final thing - IT'S BIG. You may have a problem finding somewhere to put it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent model - fab results!, 29 Jan. 2010
I. Rush "Imo" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
I think this is a fantastic kit - challenging certainly, as it is very detailed, but I found the model very worthwhile and now have a very sturdy TARDIS interior on my tabletop. It even has moving parts - the transparent central column, which moves up and down!
It was great fun to make, and I feel is ideal for an inexperienced model maker as it requires no gluing or cutting out. All the pieces are pre-cut and you just need to pop them out and slot the tabs in to one another. I didn't find it easy, and certainly you need deft hands for some parts, but in the end you get a remarkably effective model. Plus, it's a fraction of the price of the plastic TARDIS interior toy!

I enjoyed this set so much that it has inspired me to do more model making. I did the other Doctor Who themed set from the same company, and am now working on the Discworld Unseen University model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, but lots of fun!, 14 July 2008
A. Campbell (Asia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
My son and I have really enjoyed putting this together. Its certainly challenging, but its given us lots of quality time together - and it looks really good, too!

1.0 out of 5 stars The most frustrating model ever...., 15 Feb. 2008
I. L. Atkin (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
I was really excited about building this, and after about 6 hours, am only half done, and the current object is being held together with lots of sticky tape.

This has pushed me to my limits of self-control. I have nearly thrown this into the fire twice.

The cardboard hooks on each cut-out of the assembly are intended to 'snap-in' to the holes on other cut-outs to build up the tardis pieces, which has hooks to attach to other tardis pieces... etc...

These hooks do *not* snap-in. You fold them back, push, and mostly they come straight back out after a lot of grunting and gently frustrating manourvering to get them in in the first place.

Add to this, that the assembly cutouts are not arranged on the card in the order they are required (presumably to save on card). This means you spend a lot of time hunting the piece you need (if the cards were only numbered...)

In all, I found this the most frustrating model EVER. This is so close to being a really good kit, but a lack of thought in the construction really lets it down.

Its appaling.

4.0 out of 5 stars I did it all on my own!!!, 29 Sept. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
I got it as a present on my 6th birthday, and I wasn't very interested. Then three years later I wanted to do it. I'm a great fan of Dr.Who so I started to do it. The first steps were easy,then it got harder and harder. The most frustrating part was that the tabs would not stay in their holes - I nearly crushed the whole thing! But then came sticky tape to the rescue!!! Now I have finished it I feel very proud of my work and it's amazing!!!!!!!
If you want to buy one.... use tape(it's the most easy way!)

5.0 out of 5 stars over the moon!, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit (Hardcover)
Good quality gift, fast delivery: ordered this for a seven year old Doctor Who fan, he was thrilled to bits

Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit
Doctor Who: TARDIS Model-Making Kit by BBC (Hardcover - 3 Oct. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01