Graham and Hoffman achived the rare accomplishment of making a perfect book about Political Theory (this book is a better, revised, updated, and expanded version of their old books Introduction to Political Concepts and Introduction to Political Ideologies).

I know the word "perfect" is abused everyday, but this book deserves it in full.

From the...
Published on 7 Jan. 2011 by Márcio de Almeida Cabral

2.0 out of 5 stars Vague
Published 23 months ago by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for everyone, SUPERB for International Relations, Political Theory and Sociology, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: An Introduction to Political Theory (Paperback)

From the first chapter, you realize an enourmous amount of work, dedication, and time (dare I say it... love for their work, as well) has gone into this book.

Every subject is interconnected, for example - when you are reading about democracy you might have a reference box for another page in the book, be it about an author (and you have a great deal of mini-biographies which help you better understand the context and the personality that shaped that particular person's views)

It contains all the major concepts and ideologies which influence our lives, and explains them in an acessible, yet detailed, way... You can read a summary of the chapter in the end of it, to get an ideia and then/or browse all the material and references of the book it contains.

All in all, THE book to have if you're studying Political Sciences and International Relations (or even Sociology, as a complement to other books...). It will be your steady companion throughout your University years, and you WILL go back to it quite a few times...

For everyone else, a book that will give you a better and far broader understanding of the world you live in.

NOTE 1: This is a revised and expanded version of the book, which came out in 2006. This version is, I can say since I had it in my hands, read the index and browsed it, even better than the firs

NOTE 2: Use the website the book provides! It's very helpful when you're getting ready for an exam or just want to test what you have learned... It's an integral part of the book, that enhances the lot it has to offer.

NOTE 3: No, I'm not affiliated with any of the authors or the publisher. It's just that this book helped me a lot in my time in the University (I'm in my last year of International Relations) and I see worse books get, undeservingly, a lot more credit and sales...

2.0 out of 5 stars Vague, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: An Introduction to Political Theory (Paperback)
The writers have chosen a very vague and insubstantial approach to their writing. The work lacks coherency; the flow of the text is muddled by view after view of different distinguished political scientists. Rarely I felt that the writers got their message across. Well, if their message was: no political theory/concept has a known definition, then yes the writers made that very clear. By page 33 the definition of sovereignty could not be more confused in the authors minds, "We will suggest a way in which the notion can be reinstated without the problems that inhere in the state." The reader is then told that sovereignty and the state are incompatible and that to rescue the concept of sovereignty we must define sovereignty in terms of the individual. The writers are then swept up in a whirl wind of pros, "sovereignty is too important to be chewed to pieces", "classical liberals saw individuals as sovereign, and they were right to do so." Oh were they right? Why were they so? Oh and what is sovereignty in this sense or should we go with the previous definition: "supreme and unchecked power"? Oh no! Wait, we are given a definition in the next paragraph, "sovereignty is an attribute that individuals enjoy, and which enables us to govern our own lives. This definition frees sovereignty from the problems that blight it when linked to the state." Oh okay so why is the section called 'State and Sovereignty'? Hmm somewhat confusing. The second issue, on page 33, is where the reader is told that the writers made a sharp distinction between government and the state above. I should have read this page one hundred times to find that "sharp distinction" but alas I have better things to do than find a distinction which doesn't afford to make itself clear.

I have no doubt that writing an ambitious book is a time consuming endeavour. I may be wrong about the lack of clarity contained within the book as some other reviewers give the book high praise. However, I do not believe that my irritation is totally misplaced; a book like this one should deliver a clear definition for each concept/theory, not a muddled opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Political Theory, 2 Mar. 2010
Oskaras V. -pinta (Sønderborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Political Theory (Paperback)
I'm not fan of the political theories, but this book explains everything in a very understandable way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely incomprehensible, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: An Introduction to Political Theory (Paperback)
I'm not quite sure what the book is getting at. As an American undergrad, I doubt it's the British style of grammar that throws me off. It's more along the lines of definitions. The chapters don't follow the title at all. When reading about the political theory of 'freedom' I didn't expect the entire chapter to be a critique of one man's book. I was expecting a more broad description of the components of the concept of freedom. The authors constantly mention their personal beliefs without ever truly describing the main point of each chapter. I'm sure the two authors are very intelligent, and they are not bad writers, but the chapters are hard to follow by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: An Introduction to Political Theory (Paperback)
very clean and in nice condition

An Introduction to Political Theory
An Introduction to Political Theory by Paul Graham (Paperback - 9 April 2009)