5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book!, 13 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Classroom Gems: Games and Activities for Primary Modern Foreign Languages (Paperback)
How wonderful to find a book that focuses squarely on oral skills when teaching a modern foreign language; particularly one packed with so many ready-to-go ideas for games and songs etc. I whole-heartedly agree with the author that children should first learn to understand and speak a language, just as they would in their mother-tongue. This book is the ultimate, user-friendly tool for a busy teacher, with lots of imaginative ideas that can be put into practise immediately and handy links to national curriculum learning objectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars No primary MFL teacher should be without this book!, 10 Feb. 2009
Kirsteen Grainger (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little book. Full of great games and activities that really work in the classroom. Most of the activities need little or no preparation, and you can use them with any language. The book is very user-friendly - it's easy to find what you're looking for and the instructions are really easy to follow. And best of all, it makes language-learning fun! Children don't actually realise they're learning, because they are enjoying the games so much. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every School Should Have A Copy, 15 Feb. 2009
This is the answer to every MFL Co-ordinators prayer - easy to use, fun-packed, full of ideas for starters, plenaries, whole lessons. A great resource for schools that puts children's natural learning skills to the fore. Learning through play, with the focus on the spoken word, Ms Drinkwater has utilised her experience and produced a book that can be used in a myriad of ways - great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource for Primary French teachers!, 2 Aug. 2014
I'm currently teaching French to Primary 1 - Primary 7 classes and bought this book hoping for quick and easy ideas. It's absolutely fantastic! Full of games which can be played on the spur of the moment, don't need loads of resources or planning, and are varied and interesting enough to engage the kids. Even better, the book is organised into easy to find sections so you can find games specific to the area of French you're teaching. It's got all the curriculum links for what I presume is the English curriculum (not much use to me in Scotland but I'm not bothered - it's the practical side I bought it for!). If you're looking for something which is of actual practical use, this book is well worthwhile!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book full of ideas, 29 Feb. 2012
All of the books in this series are a fantastic resource of teachers. I would definitely recommend if you feel that you are struggling to incorporate MFL into your week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teacher's aid, 15 Aug. 2012
This is a really excellent book, which has masses of ideas of how to present vocabulary and also other ideas for how to make language learning fun, all of which are clearly laid out and very easy to use. It reminds me of the classic Penny Ur and Klippel books, which are a staple for Tefl teachers. This would easily adapt to Tefl teaching too.
It helps cut down on preparation time too, as all the vocab you need for beginners language is clearly set out in French, German and Spanish in the back.
Thank you to Ms Drinkwater for producing such a useful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars For English teaching too, 8 April 2010
I run a school of English in Spain and I was recommended this book for children. Although it is aimed at teaching modern languages to English speakers, I have found that this is easily adaptable to teach young Spanish learners of English. The games and activities are transferrable in any language and the vocabulary lists can be created following the same style as the book.
Probably the most useful aspect of the book is that you can find all these different activities in one book. This means it is perfect to use to plan a lesson or as an accessory in the classroom as you can open it up and instantly find something appropriate. It is also very well set out so you can find whatever you need very quickly which in a classroom full of children when you want to do something spontaneous is essential.
I have found the book valuable for the Spanish children at the school and I am sure it is even more valuable for learners of French, Spanish or German.
Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has given me ideas for many fun classes. My kids and I love it, 7 Jan. 2015
Anastacia (BRADFORD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book has given me ideas for many fun classes. My kids and I love it! I lost the book and bought it again even when I'd taken a break from teaching for a year. I'd be a little lost without it I think. Very useful. I would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent primary MFL resource, 29 Mar. 2014
This has been invaluable for teaching French to 5-9 year olds. Would particularly recommend for any non specialist primary MFL teachers as has full language lists for most common topics. Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book to have!, 25 Jun. 2010
I bought this book after exhausting the internet looking for fun activities to do in the classroom and NOT on a computer.
This book has been brilliant at giving me ideas and examples of games and activities that you can with all ages, I have even adapted some of the games to my own specification which has been brilliant for teaching individuals and lower abilities. I start my teacher training soon and I imagine I will use this book endlessly as a source for inspiration.
I totally recommend it. MFL teachers will adore it! x

Classroom Gems: Games and Activities for Primary Modern Foreign Languages
Classroom Gems: Games and Activities for Primary Modern Foreign Languages by Nicola Drinkwater (Paperback - 18 Sept. 2008)