Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2011
Product was brand new and was of great help! Could not have passed my A-Level Language and Literature without it. Gives detailed notes on the book and focuses on key concepts and ideas, great for understanding and analysing the play.
on 24 August 2001
This epic play shows us that we will pay for our actions in the end. The brilliant webs woven by Miller keep the reader's mind racing from one character to the next throughout. As the play progresses we learn about the guilt and hauntings of each individual - from the obvious to the subtle. Slowly and with drastic emotion, these webs fall apart and the frightening skeletons are revealed. The brutal end is a thunderous warning to us all.
on 28 August 2001
What goes around comes around in this beautifully crafted emotional ride. The play centres on greed and guilt but has a complex outer web of haunting and chilling events. The thunderous conclusion is a brutal reminder of the frailty of life.
on 22 April 2001
'All my Sons' deals profoundly with the 'male' and the need to live up to American ideologies. The idea of the American Dream is really what motivates the action in the play.The protgonists are faced with an unclear distinction between material things and being loved by their family. The play contains the revelation of some explosive secrets that lead to upsetting family situations. The play at it's best is extremely observant, familiar and focuses on the problems that are caused from trying to live up to societys' expectations.Leaves you asking many questions but moving and captivating....
on 21 May 2006
I am doing this text for part of my AS Level and it is a great text, it is simple to read but at the same time has clever little comments that you could easily miss which are symbolic and very telling. Shame there does not seem to be any available copies of either of the two versions that I know have been made - Amazon please try and stock one of these items, it would certainly be appreciated by many AS Level students who have not seen a dramatised version, after all this is a play and not book. However, the play is a real marvel and is well worth a read.
on 9 February 2006
I am currently studying ‘All My Sons’ for my English Literature AS level and I think it was a good decision for my teacher to make us study this.
At first I found the play a bit slow, but half way through Act One I found myself engrossed by the emotional characters and dramatic storyline beginning to unfold. I couldn’t put it down! Arthur Miller truly is a brilliant and talented playwright. ‘All My Sons’ is in my opinion one of his best works. I am eager to see a dramatised version!
on 12 June 2016
Too often we ask the wrong question about a play like ‘All My Sons’. What it is ‘about’? isn’t necessarily important. Rather we should ask, ‘Is it satisfying drama?’

Miller picks away at the emotional scabs of his characters’ pasts, exposing present raw feelings in a play that is hugely suspenseful. We know that Joe knows that he is culpable. We don’t know in what the circumstances, if any, he will admit (and indeed accept) culpability. When, and with whom, will the big emotional ‘bust up’ be? Will it be with Kate, his obsessional wife; Chris, his surviving son; George, the son of the ‘patsy’ who went to jail instead of Joe? Miller never lets us forget that these are ordinary people who are capable of big emotions, prone to ambivalent feelings and susceptible to shifting attitudes to each other and to the notion of what constitutes culpability. The dramatic interplay between characters is heady and subtle.

In his introduction to the Penguin Modern Classics edition, Christopher Bigsby makes the pertinent point that ‘All My Sons’ isn’t ‘a well-made play whose energy is fully discharged’. For example, George’s arrival strains our credibility. Why has he suddenly decided to visit his father in prison after all those years? On what basis does he now believe his father’s innocence? The play’s last act is theatrically crude. Where is the catharsis and for whom do we cry? Joe takes the easiest way out imaginable leaving Chris to cope with the issues to which his father should have faced up. Kate’s obsessiveness about Larry makes her an individual to whom it is impossible to relate. Chris, with whom we might identify most, is not a character with whom we can easily engage. He should have appraised his father years previously. Ultimately, ‘All My Sons’ isn’t a wholly satisfying drama.

Stewart Robertson
on 17 October 2010
I was very pleased with the condition of my purchase as well as the speed in which the delivery was made. There were no complications and I would certainly recommend Amazon's services to any that are in doubt when considering purchasing. As for the actual product, it was a necessity that I purchase it so that I could continue my studies of English at A Level; despite this however I believe that it was a great read: inspiring. I would definitely urge people in support of global reformation through the removal of 'self-destructive capitalism' to make it a must-read for it was a play ahead of its time: certainly more relevant to today's present climate.
on 11 May 2016
Bought this for my daughter who is doing GCSEs. She tells me it is a really good study aid and well worth having - so on that basis i'm giving it a 4star rating.
on 4 March 2014
As a student currently studying English, this makes the mark for the Drama/Play section.

With only 3 Acts, and a clearly defined storyline, it's easy to navigate and remember. Each 'scene' has its own key point(s) and for any Higher-level student, provides some good writing in essays.

Delivery was not a problem, less than 2-weeks from ordering, came sealed and damage free. At just over £5, it's a bargain considering other suppliers will charge nearly £10 including postage for the same item.