4.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
Whilst trying to write an essay about desire, I became so confused I just wanted a book that would explain the various theories in simple language so that I would understand it. This book did just that. It provides introductions to complex topics and establishes a foundation of knowledge that you can build on with the handily referenced further reading, or reading of your...
Published on 10 Nov 2006 by Joanna Spooner

2.0 out of 5 stars Academic text
I used this as part of a module at University. The book is divided into useful chapters which allow the ease of use of this book. The writing is clear and effective and the writers are clever and though-provoking. However, if you are not so widely-read as the authors, you might have trouble following their lines of argument at times.

All in all, a good academic...
Published on 2 Dec 2008 by E. Crouch

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading it at some points, overall not so good., 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory (Paperback)
Not a bad book for beginners but I don't consider myself a beginner. I had to buy it for my university course and I can say it didn't help me as much as I wish it had. It uses way too many examples from other novels I hadn't read and gave away major plot points which annoyed me very much. Couldn't really understand fully what points they were trying to make.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Recommended, 8 Feb 2013
Fantastic book! Very well written - very enjoyable to read. Broken down into nice chunks. I'm using it for my degree, and would suggest it for anyone in a similar position.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bennett & Royle, 27 Feb 2012
Most of the time the language is clear and the theory makes sense. Every once in a while though it seem to get unnecessarily complex with no readily apparent reason. Useful when used with other texts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to literary theory, 16 July 2014
I used this book as an introduction to literary theory at university. It's easy to read and my copy was frequently used. As with any book of this nature, don't take it as gospel, but it is a great introduction to theory.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Good, but not amazing", 5 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I've only seen praise for this book around, and I bought it myself as someone who is returning to starting to study literature in depth for the first time. It is certainly very readable, and in written almost in a oral style, very casually, but does lack a little bit in depth. Understandably to give someone any vast amount of literary knowledge inside one book is a very difficult thing, so I sympathise with the writers in this respect. However, for example, when I wished to learn about feminism, I turned to the chapter on feminism and thoroughly enjoyed *reading* it, but I learnt very little in doing so, apart from quite a lot about the book "The Yellow Wallpaper." Do read this book, but don't expect to be able to use it as your "literary Bible"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier to comprehend than most - odd lapses into pseudyness, 28 Oct 2008
J. H. Campbell (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I like this book, it explains Eng Lit without indulging in too many nerdy 'Fry and Laurie' type "well I saw six levels", "oh well I saw eight levels" pseudy intellectual onanism type of 'inpenetetrable gobs***e' that is so often a problem with other self-indulgent textbooks.

The useful thing with this book is the authors provide further reading on each subject a glossary list of examined and novels. My only minus is it's a tad light on poetry coverage and sophocles/greek plays.

If you're a total beginner to eng lit get a more basics primer first and read this alongside as it's halfway between A level and degree level. Read it with a pencil for your margin notes too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
A well presented book and easy tp read for my MA in English Literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
Very good and quick delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation of jargon referring to literature., 11 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This text has some very interesting points to make and can be a very helpful introductory guide to English literature. Its downfall however, is that the jargon used throughout the book is never fully explained and so makes the book very hard to follow. For a comprehensive reading it is necessary to have your dictionary of literary terms to hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Great service and quality

An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory
An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory by Nicholas Royle (Paperback - 28 May 2009)