4.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder for anyone starting off on a TEFL career
This book is a good basis for anyone starting off on a TEFL career and/or studying for the TEFL certificate. The chapters are simply written and run through the basic approach to teaching english. It gives a good introduction but is really a one-off read and you are unlikely to use it as a reference book during your career.
Published on 13 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction
This is a good basic introduction but I can't rate this any higher than three stars because there is little advice within this book on practical teaching skills which I would have expected from the title. The text is somewhat turgid but is improved by the helpful use of different typography to highlight section headings and important ideas raised in each chapter. The...
Published on 1 Oct 2008 by A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended text, 28 Feb 2014
I used this text while I completed my degree, and I still use it as a teacher! It's very useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching English, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: How to Teach English: An Introduction to the Practice of English Language Teaching (2nd Edition) (With DVD) (How To Series) (Paperback)
This is a very informative and practical book for anyone who is interested in teaching English, especially students on the CELTA course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy for TEFL students, 17 Aug 2013
I was recommended to buy this book by the school before I started my TEFL course and so far I find Its very informative and relevant for the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Advice for future teachers, 29 Jun 2011
this book is actually a classic, recommended by Celta and Tefl training centres, as pre course reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Hero Harmer, 1 Feb 2011
One of the things about TEFL courses around the world is that a lot of them are really not that good. However, one indicator that any TEFL is worth its salt, is if this is on the reading list.

Having been both a teacher and a teacher trainer, I am confident that most new teachers could pick up this book and start to plan a lesson within a couple of days.

In summary, instead of going to Thailand to do that TEFL as Dodgy Training Ltd. I recommend buying this book, trying the techniques listed, and before you know it you will have mad teaching skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2011
I received it in a few days. It didn't take that long and the book and cd were in perfect conditions.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 3 Oct 2011
I haven't read many books about teaching English. Actually, I've looked for a good book but none seems to attract me much. Maybe one day I'll write a book.

This book had some good ideas, but it felt very "dense" to me. Very intellectual, and most of it seems like mental masturbation. It doesn't feel very revolutionary or alternative. I'd like a book like that.

It was worth it for the few ideas which have been useful for me, but damn, reading it is like wading through mud... so intellectual, so hard to get into. It'd be good for intellectual sorts. For more intuitive types such as me, I think the book we need hasn't been written yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly new, I'm pleased, 13 May 2011
The book reached me within a few days, it seems brand new, just as expected. Nothing more to add, easy transaction:)

1.0 out of 5 stars It has been a month and NOT BOOK and I paid ANd the seller doesn't respond to my emails. I want my money back, 27 Sep 2013
This seller got my money and I don't have the book. No book and he charged me and He doesn't help or respond to his obligation. i have a course and this has created a big problem to my course date. So I want justice and respond for something I paid and No Book here. So please respond about all this. I want a solution and don't like anything about how the seller responded.